Power steering fluid leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Power steering fluid leak!

Hey everyone,

Sure am looking for ward to getting the car on the road soon. She's been sleeping since October! Last year prior to putting the car away, I noticed when looking underneath the car that the passenger side heat exchanger was covered in what looked like oil. I also noticed a few spots of what I thought was oil on the ground underneath it. I brought it to my dealership and one of our techs (who used to work on Porsches) removed the airfilter housing and suspected the leak was a leaky power steering hose. We cleaned the area, tightened a few hose clamps and cleaned off the heat exchanger hoping the leak wouldn't return. While sitting for the winter, I have noticed a few drops of, again what looks like oil, on the floor. The motor was completely resealed prior to me buying it 2 years ago so I'm assuming again that is leaking power steering fluid.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing these hoses? What kind of labour charges would I be looking at? Is it a difficult thing to fix?

Any feedback would be great!!!

thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

had the same thing was the actual pump not the hoses. There is a thread on here on how to rebuild it. I just ended up replacing the whole pump
Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a leaking short hose. It was weeping the fluid out not leaking at the clamp ends.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Was it a pretty easy fix?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM
da_gleadless
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, that was fixed semi permanently by two jubilee clips

The hose itself was £110 from an OPC, which I replaced when I had time!

Its not a hard job, just fiddly at the end getting the pipe to bend and bolts to locate properly!

I cant remember whether I followed a guide but I'll check in my Streathers Enthusiasts Companion and let you know!

I'm no mechanic, but I managed it in around an hour. Start by removing the whole of the air filter housing
Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

You have to find where the leak is coming from first. Mine was dripping on the exhaust and on teh lift I could see it coming from the housing not the hoses.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
roblav
Advanced

It may be leaking oil around the camshaft oil seal. Mine was...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Camashaft seal at ps pump, oil return hose from front right side through wheel well, ps pump, low pressure ps hose at pump, high pressure hose at ps pump............they're all in the area you describe and could be the culprit. You should be able to tell whether it's fluid or oil on closer inspection, or get your mechanic to take help. The fluid is typically a little clearer and thinner consistency than oil.

You might try the blotter test and place some clean paper towels under and around the pump, hoses and reservoir in the engine compartment. I've found it's really easy to zero-in on a leak this way if the towels are wrapped around each component. My bet is on the banjo type high pressure hose connection to the pump or the low pressure hose/clamps.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the color of the leaking fluid. It help if you first identify if it is PS fluid (red) or motor oil (degree of brown depending on how long since it was changed).

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
roblav
Advanced

The easiest way to differentiate between P/S fluid and oil is the smell.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Once you have confirmed that your leak is power steering fluid versus engine oil. Assuming the leak is near the power steering pump, there are three hoses plus the pump itself. All could be sources of the leak. I would clean the area well and then run the engine, look for shiny spots or leak sources. Look at the power steering fluid reservoir could leak, there is a 4-5" hose that runs to the power steering pump. This is attached by simple hose clamps. Then there are two hoses that run to the front of the car. One is the high pressure and the other is the return. If none of these are the source, then it may be the pump itself. I would suggest rebuilding the pump yourself. I did it recently. The seal kit is approx $20 and the rebuild takes less than 30 minutes. The cost of rebuilt pumps is in the neighborhood of multiple hundreds of dollars. I saw one for $700.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good write up by Garrett376 ouylining steps to replace the oil sender o-ring which is located near the ps pump. This might also be the source of the leak.

Regardless, the pics in the attached thread give you an idea of what's involved with getting to these parts.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@Rocket Bob

Do you have the part # for the seal kit? Must be a porsche part # , right?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll hopefully get the car on the road this weekend! Its been very nice here in Calgary so hopefully this weekend works.
Derek
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll hopefully get the car on the road this weekend! Its been very nice here in Calgary so hopefully this weekend works.
Derek
If its dripping out of that port on the bottom of the power steering belt housing then its your shaft seal. Its a Beatch to remove the pump with the engine in the car. I had to do it twice because i replaced the pump half o-ring and not the shaft seal. Then after i installed it all it turned out to be the shaft seal so i had to do it all again. The pumps are very simple and i think for the most part not prone to failure. So like the guys said check the hoses first then go from there.

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid leak!