Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling issues

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling issues

Well, as the roads clear up and snow is becoming a distant memory here in VA (yeah right!) I decided to pull the 964 out of storage yesterday (haven't driven it since october). Charged the battery up as usual, started it up and all seemed normal. Got the typical couple of puffs of white smoke, and she slowly settled down into a steady idle, after which I took about a 40 mile drive to blow out the cobwebs, after carefully ensuring the oil temp was satisfactory.

This morning, however was a bit different. It was about 28 degrees outside as I hopped in the p-car to go on my way. It started as usual, and I began to back it out of the driveway. However, after about 45 seconds of running the engine stalled. Huh? So I proceeded to start it again and this time it stalled immediately after firing. Did this twice more with the same effect (stalling immediately after firing), so on my last attempt I gave it just a little bit of gas. It roared to life with the RPMs at about 1500, and backfired just a touch (barely perceptible to the ear, noticed it more so on the tach). As this happened the check engine light came on for about 5 seconds and then quickly extinguished. I let off the gas and it settled back down to idle once again, listened to it run for a minute, and once satisfied that everything was as it should be I took off on my way again. I've probably driven the car for about 60 miles so far today, and have started the car again 3 or 4 more times without any indication of a problem.

So, my question is, what may have caused this to happen this morning? Should I be worried about it, or should I just chalk it up to the car being mad at me for not driving it for so long, and go along my merry way as long as it doesn't replicate itself? One thing I thought of is it could be bad gas - the gas I started it up on this morning has been in the tank since october, and this morning after leaving the house I filled it up with a fresh tank of 93.

Thanks all!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Did you check for a mouse nest in the air cleaner? I think it could also be the idle speed controller sticking. It is essentially a motor, and sometimes they get dirty. Usually, it results in stalling when coming to a stop. Also, make sure the distributor belt is not broken.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you store it with a completely full tank of gas?

If not, it likely has some condensation in the gas and the engine swallowed some water.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

I hear these kind of things all the time. Next thing will be squeaking brakes and a vibration. (from radial tires sitting) Fuel does varnish and what is happening is normal after a few months of storage. I always fill the tank with Premium Chevron and add stabilizer when I park the cars.

Moisture collects.

Throw a bottle of Technron in with the fill or some fuel stabilizer and it will keep the fuel fresh longer. Not saying that things don't run a little rough after sitting a few months, but this little routine sure does help.

Glad she smoothed out for you
Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jgrosjean
Did you check for a mouse nest in the air cleaner? I think it could also be the idle speed controller sticking. It is essentially a motor, and sometimes they get dirty. Usually, it results in stalling when coming to a stop. Also, make sure the distributor belt is not broken.
I've not checked for this...I have a drilled cover and the sucking noise is as loud as it ever has been, but I'll double check to make sure. I'll also check the ICV, shoulda thought of that one myself. I replaced the distributor belt over the winter, so HOPEFULLY it didn't break already...unless it was a mistake of mine on the installation procedure that caused it! I'll double check.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Did you store it with a completely full tank of gas?

If not, it likely has some condensation in the gas and the engine swallowed some water.
No, I didn't. I know I should have, but knowing me I probably parked it one day back in October with the intentions of filling it up 'tomorrow'...and, well, that tomorrow didn't come until yesterday, lol. Hopefully this is the case, as if its similar to airplanes, theres no real damage to sucking in small quantities of water other than fuel starvation (unless of course you're in the air )

Originally Posted by inverterman
I hear these kind of things all the time. Next thing will be squeaking brakes and a vibration. (from radial tires sitting) Fuel does varnish and what is happening is normal after a few months of storage. I always fill the tank with Premium Chevron and add stabilizer when I park the cars.

Moisture collects.

Throw a bottle of Technron in with the fill or some fuel stabilizer and it will keep the fuel fresh longer. Not saying that things don't run a little rough after sitting a few months, but this little routine sure does help.

Glad she smoothed out for you
Second post indicating it could be fuel. Awesome. I'll check out a few of the other things suggested above and if all seems to check out, I'll just chalk it up to bad fuel as long as it doesn't persist. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stalling issues