Sponsored by:

Headlight upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight upgrade?

Over the years, I've seen posts about how poor the 964 headlights are and I remember thinking that I've always thought they were fine.

However - the last few times I've used the car, I've changed my mind. They now seem shockingly poor (to the point where I even thought there must be something wrong with them - but I've checked they're both coming on and since there isn't much more to a headlight than a bulb and reflector, I figure they must be working).

I did do a search - but unsurprisingly "headlight" throws up a lot of posts - and the only relevant one I found was basically stating that HIDs are illegal in the UK.

So - are there any options? Can I fit more powerful bulbs (without melting the wiring)?

I don't really understand why I'm now finding them poor - perhaps just because I've got used to modern lights, or perhaps because my eye sight is going. But they really do seem completely inadequate now.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Maybe you just need new bulbs, Dave. Some incandescent bulbs get very blackened as they age.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I would recommend installing higher wattage bulbs but you will need to install relays to do so. I upgraded my H4's from the 55watt low beams to 80watt and it made a big improvement.

Relay installation diagram = http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html
Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - I might start with a new pair of bulbs. If that doesn't help, I'll investigate the relay solution.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Rob,
I reviewed the relay installation link you listed... there's no way I would ever be able to do that correctly?! How many labor hrs. would my shop charge to do the install? They've chased down a couple random 964 problems I've had in the past, so I know they are patient and very 964 knowledgeable. 4 labor hours?

Thanks for your input.
Udo
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Rob,
I reviewed the relay installation link you listed... there's no way I would ever be able to do that correctly?! How many labor hrs. would my shop charge to do the install? They've chased down a couple random 964 problems I've had in the past, so I know they are patient and very 964 knowledgeable. 4 labor hours?

Thanks for your input.
Udo
Udo,

Its been over 10 years since I installed the upgrade. I would suggest starting with a relay kit ($59) and then have your shop install it. I spent 2-3 hours installing mine. You can get a relay kit from below. I don't remember who made my wiring harness/relay kit but I'm sure this would work well. They have a good reputation.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html
Old 02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I would love to upgrade mine, I'm simply running Silverstar bulbs for the time being.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have upgraded to H4s and relays. It is not that difficult once you understand the basics of a wiring diagram... and where to source parts. Daniel Stern certainly knows a lot, and I suggest you read his site thoroughly before you buy anything - especially his info on the color of light and the actual effectiveness of it.

Unfortunately, he was unresponsive to my repeated requests for parts, so I made my own. It is a couple of relays, and a bit of up-rated wiring. Not difficult, and I now run 155 195 W bulbs, and I can see very well, thank you. The weak point in the system is when you try to run a lot of current through the stock headlight switches. They are not designed for that, and the wiring is not rated for much of an increase. I ran fresh wire directly from the battery to power the relays, and used the existing headlight wiring as a relay signal. That way the heavy current can travel on uprated new wiring, to clean connection points, and the original Porsche wiring is undisturbed. I could remove it and take it back to stock in 10 minutes.

For those new to a relay, think of it as an electrically powered gate or switch, that acts (on/off) when it senses a signal on the other connectors. You can run high current through the active portion of the relay, and use a low current signal to tell it when to switch on/off. There are lots of relays in your 964, inside the box in the upper right trunk area. If you look at some of them in detail, many of them have a diagram imprinted on them, and that might explain how it works too. Take a look. Its a simple principle.

I concur, that if you can get the parts from Daniel Stern, installing it should not take more than 2 hours. I also suggest the H4 light assemblies, though they can cost a bit. The lighting patterns are much better on the road. In my avatar photo to the left, you can also see the euro or Paris lights on. They are a low-voltage lamp that just illuminates the assemblies, but don't throw light. Those are part of the H4 setup.

I would heed Daniel's warnings against simply running hotter bulbs. The wiring is not up to it, and you run the risk of damaging your light switch or the dimmer assembly. Those are much more expensive than a relay setup.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Paz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I would recommend installing higher wattage bulbs but you will need to install relays to do so. I upgraded my H4's from the 55watt low beams to 80watt and it made a big improvement.

Relay installation diagram = http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html
This is illegal in the UK and to be honest it's not needed either, the cheapest option would be to buy some Philips X-treme Power or OSRAM NightBreaker bulbs from here http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

The best option would be the relay route allied to the aforementioned bulbs.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Our UK cars already run H4 headlights, don't they?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Paz
Intermediate

Yup
Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

For some dumb reason the NA cars got H5 assemblies, so you guys have that advantage. You can up-rate the bulbs but the same caution applies regarding the wiring.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:25 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave,

to be honest you're pretty much stuffed. I've tried the Osrams, and Philips options, neither of which is groundbreaking, HID is the only option, but as has been said unless they are self levelling are illegal.

kevin.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Just for my education, is there a restriction in the UK regarding wiring/relays? Just curious.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive tried a few different high power bulbs and found only a slight improvment. And they burn your loom out.
I now have the "illegal" hid kit which i find a huge improvment over the standard tea lights! I can now use the car at night .
Ive had no problems with mot,s/police or other road users.

Quick Reply: Headlight upgrade?