Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK-964 C4 concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wellcraft290 - why are you always so defensive about your car? There have been several threads now on the forums where your stance is always "my car is as fast / faster than your car", "my car attracts more attention than your car" etc. Who really cares (other than you)?

Whether a C2 is 0.1s faster to 60mph than a C4 (or vice versa) hardly matters. The cars are 15-20 years old - there are turbo diesels that would give you a run for your money these days. And there are many many cars that are faster. If somebody chooses C2 vs C4 based purely on 0-60 times, then frankly they're insane.

If the most important thing to you is your 0-60 time - and whether it's faster than a C2, and a more desirable car than a 996 - then I think you're missing out on a lot of the 964 experience.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave I guess I do get defensive because honestly alot of guys here bash the c4 for one reason or another. Stating the way it drives blah blah blah. I agree it does drive differently then a C2 and that seems to be personal preference so no arguing there, but when you say a c2 is faster then a c4 when somone is looking for information regarding a model and is looking for facts and not opinions. That is when it drives me crazy.

and very funny about the rear view mirror lol I will just follow you oracle by the drips of oil so even if yoru faster I will know where to go..
Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 8 years on this site, I've never noticed anybody bash the C4. Some playful jesting, certainly - but nothing that I've ever taken seriously. It's a very easy going forum.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
so I provided facts and you provide me to be a whiz kid. Not arguing just hate when people don't know the truth
Yikes - the "truth" is hardly represented by two case reports, which represent the lowest level of statistically sound evidence attainable. On top of that, the case reports you present are you-tube videos? Uggh... one can only hope you use this method of "truth" seeking only for your hobbies!

Back on topic - C4's have little difference versus a C2 in their issues. Having owned, restored, and raced 5 of them, and been around this forum for a while, I have found the greater irreversible issues (not repairable without needing part replacement or purchase or service) with a C4 vs C2 to be:

four more CV boots to tear over a C2

more gear oil needed for maintenance at the 90,000 mile mark for the tranny and differential (so not really an issue since most will do this once if ever)

brake fluid bleeding procedure is a little more lengthy due to the need for bleeding the 2 locks

potential of the locks leaking requiring their replacement (related to the history of the locks being bled or not - no bleeding history increases the risk they will leak due to cruddy fluid contaminating the seal).

Hey Dave F - it's not 4-Low!! That's for pickups! The cold must be getting to you!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:34 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Haven't you guys noticed that in the movies, both the good guys and the bad guys use "C4" when they need to do some real "work". They never ever use "C2".

I rest my case.

Have Fun, Be Safe

Darrell
Old 02-07-2010, 01:53 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Hey Dave F - it's not 4-Low!! That's for pickups! The cold must be getting to you!
You've got me there :-)
I should know better; having read the book!

Good to see you're still around Garrett. Hope all is well.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
In 8 years on this site, I've never noticed anybody bash the C4. Some playful jesting, certainly - but nothing that I've ever taken seriously. It's a very easy going forum.
+1
And another point: the only real mention I ever hear of supposed "vulnerabilities" of the AWD system are in those "C2-C4 Differences - What To Watch Out For" articles. In actual fact, I think I've only seen ONE post of anyone ever having trouble with the AWD system - and that was on a car that had a LOT of other problems (kind of like a wrecked/rebuilder situation, IIRC).
Probably one of the least likely components to cause trouble in real life.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The engines in the C2 and C4 are exactly the same, and that is where most of your attention will probably be spent regarding maintenance.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my 964 three years ago I heeded the advice of buy on condition (budget permitting). It could have been a C2 or C4. The C2 came up first. In the time since I haven't seen a pattern of common, serious problems with the C4's AWD system to make me think that I dodged a bullet by getting a C2. Porsche made a big step in 1989 when they introduced their first production AWD 911. From what I've seen they made a good job of it.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM
LoFi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to agree with Steve - when I decided on a 964 I went out looking based on condition and service history. Just happened to be a C4 that fitted the bill and it happened to be red. I've spent money (nothing to do with the engine or drivetrain) but I still dont regret the decision. If you're buying your list of 'must haves' should only relate to condition and history, after that they're all the same.

Piers LoFi
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Got my C4 Cab 2 yrs ago. It done 210,000kms - No problems with drivetrain in entire history of car - They are built of melted down Panzer Tanks - Bulletproof ! My colleagues Alfa Romeo cringes every time I park next to it because of the totally tank like germanic aura !
I use mine as a daily driver and belt it around the Adelaide Hills whenever I get a chance and it has never missed a beat rain hail or shine. It may understeer a tad in comparison to a C2 but that can mainly be fixed with judicious application of the R foot to that acceleratory thingy !!! That being said - its a 20 yr old car and some bits are beginning to show wear and tear now (clips on shark fin have finally broken after last bit of maintenance, trim bits are no longer young) - but mechanically it is awesome. And safety wise in the wet I'm VERY happy (my 3yo gets ferried to and from kindy in it 4 days a week - safety was my main concern).
Go the C4 !!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 PM
964speed
Pro

I love my C4 - and it is way faster than a C2 any day of the week rain or shine! I drive on sidewalks, school yards and playgrounds no one can keep up! NO ONE!

anyone wanna race!

LMAO
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

finally someone logical like 964speed
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

I thought it was common understanding a C4 is going to launch harder. A C4 is going to do better in situations of reduced grip be it wet, snow, or otherwise. Every other situation a C2 is faster, less weight and grip is not an issue.

At the end of the day, the two cars are so similar up until the last 2% of performance level, arguing about the differences is pointless unless you are a phenomenal driver.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

All 964 owners are phenomenal drivers!

Quick Reply: OK-964 C4 concerns