Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCU static interference sound when ignition is off??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,933 Likes on 2,919 Posts
Default CCU static interference sound when ignition is off??

all,

i noticed last night a static interference noise comming from the CCU during and AFTER i turned the ignition off.

the sound was gone this morning but when i started the car i got the same noise, turned off the car and the noise went away within 10 seconds.

i started car again and the noise started up again and this time it would go away after the ignition was turned off...i fianlly disconected the battery the noise stopped...i did notice a spark when i removed the negative ground at the battery so there is something up with the CCU>>

any ideas???...

again its not a motor sound it is a radio static sort of noise..

thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In spite of how you described it, could it not be the tick-tick-tick of the little fan fouling its casing?

You know that that fan runs for twenty minutes after you turn off the ignition, UNLESS the ignition was only on for a few seconds?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,933 Likes on 2,919 Posts

the CCU fan runs after the ignition is turned off even if the fan control is turned to the OFF position?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:25 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

After the ignition is turned off, a small fan in the back of the CCU continues to run for 20 minutes.
The purpose of the fan is to move cabin air over the internal temperature sensor in the CCU.

I'm not sure why they choose to keep it running after ignition off. Maybe to ensure no overheating occurs in the CCU.

The fan is a common source of 964 power drain. A transistor fails in the circuitry, and it leaves the fan on forever.

Kirk
Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's tied in with the circuit that monitors post-shutdown engine temperature and activates the rear blower to cool it if necessary - that's why it runs on after ignition off.

Quick Reply: CCU static interference sound when ignition is off??