Is there a magic trick to removing this stuff -
I can't believe all the glue that was used -
What have you used when you removed the sound proofing
Ideas - suggestions greatly appreciated -
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2010 | 07:38 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

Gus--Unfortunately, no tricks that I found, just lots of elbow grease. I don't know about others but I used large pliers to pull out anything I could grab and pull. Then I scapped off what I could using a putty knife and hammer. Next, I used several large wire brushes attached to a long pole for better leverage. Finally, I went through several of those flexable roughing wheels you attach to a drill and can buy at auto parts store next to the bondo and body work stuff. I would not use "Gu Be Gone" or similar chemicals because it did not work for me and made a bigger mess than what it removed. Then once all removed--after mayber 20 hours over many weekends--I painted the inside with flat black. Good luck! Bob
Old 01-19-2010 | 07:44 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

P.S. After my removal job, I heard that a heat gun and putty knife work well together. So you might try that.
Old 01-19-2010 | 09:44 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Greatly appreciated - well except the "LOTS of ELBOW Grease" part
Old 01-19-2010 | 11:37 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

One thing I found that helped was to drape a large towel over the engine to catch all the dried up sound-proofing that will come loose as you pull it out.
Old 01-20-2010 | 07:14 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Hold on guys!!!! I replaced the seal round the bonnet a few months back and thought I was going to spend at least a week getting the old glue off. I tried absolutely everything.
My friend gave me a jar of a magic potion which when rubbed in with a toothbrush after about 15 minutes had dissolved the glue. It still required a bit of effort but no ELBOW Grease is required (or hardly any).
The magic potion was called 'Autosmart Tardis'.
No affiliation etc etc. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2010 | 07:34 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

if that works, i'll buy you a beer later in the year!!!

someone make this a sticky, pardon the pun!
Old 01-20-2010 | 09:03 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Shifts pretty much anything (but do NOT leave it on exterior paintwork)

Old 01-20-2010 | 09:12 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 on the electric heat gun and a stiff putty knife. I stay away from the chemicals, both to protect the car and protect me from the stuff that gets where you did not intend.
Old 01-20-2010 | 09:39 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Here are the steps I used:

-buy chems, chem gloves, respirator mask, putty knives, heat gun, etc
-remove carpet and most of the sound proofing
-realize that removing the glue is probably one of the worst jobs ever and hire your lawn guy to do this job over a weekend.

Btw, if you are putting carpet back, then there is really no reason to remove the old glue I don’t think. Just put some new 3m adhesive back over the old stuff. This worked for me a few years ago but now I want it all gone and will repaint the interior.
Old 01-20-2010 | 12:51 PM
Dudeman258
3rd Gear

Using a heat gun really helps, you can also use dry ice, making it really brittle and easier to "peel" off.

Either way you slice it. It will make a mess

Good luck!

Dudeman
Old 01-20-2010 | 01:54 PM
xeps
Instructor

I removed my interior carpet and sound deadening last year, along with most of the glue.

The glue tends to be fairly brittle, but adheres well enough to not come off in large chunks. I tried a heat gun and putty knife without much success. I ended up using a small hammer to GENTLY crack the glue, and then knock it off with a stiff nylon bristle brush. This method knocked off large quantities quickly with minimal effort, but unfortunately getting what is left behind afterward is the tricky part.

I decided to try some solvents on the remainder with mixed results.

Goo gone / Goof off wouldn't touch the glue but would easily damage the paint. Acetone was worthless. The only solvent of any value was xylene, and it's pretty nasty stuff - and still didnt do an overwhelmingly good job. The particular danger in using solvents is that as they work their magic, the glue becomes malleable and sticky again, with half of it being removed and half being redeposited somewhere else within the car.

I eventually decided to "take a break" and focus my efforts elsewhere within the car, and a fair quantity of glue still sits there, waiting...
Old 01-21-2010 | 05:52 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

I agree they yellow snot Porsche uses it absolutely the hardest thing to get off. I did my rear cabin and it took for ever. I found a strong natural citrus decal remover used to remove vehicle wraps would actually cut the goo and not harm the paint ($40.00 a gallon). Still took a really long time. An my car smelled like oranges for a week.

I also did the foot wells and went with the Reinnline track mats. Very clean install.
Old 01-21-2010 | 07:06 PM
N51
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gus
Is there a magic trick to removing this stuff -
I can't believe all the glue that was used -
What have you used when you removed the sound proofing
Ideas - suggestions greatly appreciated -
Why are you wanting to remove it?

These cars, stock, have a ~12lb/hp ratio.
Old 01-22-2010 | 04:26 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

I tried heat, cold, goo off, goof off, swearing, bleeding. The thing that really worked was a Wurth product - paint and gasket remover. Stuff works great, but you will see metal when done. Need a respirator and gloves.

Quick Reply: Removing sound proofing???