Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
fishician
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on this?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=271146154

looks nice, but price seems high.

just curious...... i've always wondered how a car would end up at a shop like this as opposed to a dealership. since merecedes is mispelled in their ad- and they're experts?- it makes one question how bright they are. too picky?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:53 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Is it actually a Targa Coupe, or would it just be targa?

They need more pics and the price does seem kinda high.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

For a reseller, that mileage/price seems appropriate.
Further, with enough time I'd wager you could find that quality car for ≤ $21k from a private seller.

The reseller's Own quality or professionalism? Well...
Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid less than that for my 36K mile Targa last year from a reseller (and it was a '93). They do need more pics but looks like a nice color combo.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by elbeee964
For a reseller, that mileage/price seems appropriate.
Further, with enough time I'd wager you could find that quality car for ≤ $21k from a private seller.
I agree, but you should be able to shave a a couple $K off the price. Hard to tell the condition, but from the pic's it looks nice. But, I am partial to Targas.

Interesting - Targa "coupe"
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out their inventory. Lots of Merc's and BMVay's, but plenty of Chrysler products, too. Whatever is needed to please the Florida crowd. Dealers are given to hyperbole, and most neglected to finish their English degree. But good cars are wherever you find them. Absent any bad "stories", this looks like a nice one. Dealers often have considerable cushion in the price, not having any of the emotion involved in the sale that a private seller has ("I loved this Porsche, it was like a member of the family - no, it WAS a member of the family!")

How did it end up there? Auction, friend of a friend, estate sale purchase, somebody drove up with it and needed to make their mortgage payment TODAY - who knows? If it has some service history with it, that may give you a clue, the shop may tell you, or you may never know the real story. It is what it is, where it is. what would be a good price for it - $21K? You may get it for that if you have cash.

Delicious color combo, btw... seriously...
Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM
nekbet
Instructor

Is there something special to command $24.5k? My 90 with just a little more miles 4 years ago was less than that.... that said - I'll sell you my 90 C4 Targa w/ 120k on it for $24k, though!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Mine was $23K 4 yrs. ago with 58K miles - from a Porsche dealer. While $24.5K is pretty optimistic for this one, it's gratifying to see that prices seem to be firming up, after the gutter they were in.

They have a 31K-mile 3.2 there that the Carrera guys should be all over. Prices for those seem to be trending up again.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the last round of Excellence magazine prices holds true, a targa never fetches what a Cab does, and cabs ran up to mid 20s for an excellent example. I'd suggest you could get that for $20k or just under given that targas are less popular than a cab.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hawk911
If the last round of Excellence magazine prices holds true, a targa never fetches what a Cab does, and cabs ran up to mid 20s for an excellent example. I'd suggest you could get that for $20k or just under given that targas are less popular than a cab.
I think that bird-cage liner is wrong again, sorry. Sifting through today's Autotrader and cars.com, I don't see anything to substantiate that. They are awash with cabs, and prices are all over the place. There are by far fewer targas in there, and their prices are comparable to cabs. Coupes, of course, demand a slight premium.

When I was looking, I could have bought cabs all day for less than a targa or coupe. Didn't want to deal with a ragtop.
How many times have you seen people on here who are looking to buy, and saying "I'll look at anything but a cab"?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
fishician
Track Day

i would be one of the folks who wouldn't be interested in a cab. just personal preference.
prices do seem to be headed back up a bit since maybe the late summer. i would pay cash for this. waving money at dealers makes them so much more willing to deal.
i had been dead-set on a guards red/beige targa, but this is such a rich color & the interior isn't too dark. dark interiors roast us down here in so. fla! it also wouldn't attract quite so much attention from the law as a red one. not that i'd be doing anything illegal.
does anyone know of a good shop i the naples area where i could get a PPI, should i move ahead? i have to decide if i'm going to get off my butt on this or remain in the holding pattern for the red.
thanks everyone!
heidi
Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
How many times have you seen people on here who are looking to buy, and saying "I'll look at anything but a cab"?
I notice a bunch of people prefer coupes, although I can't figure out why...it could be people being on rennlist tend to want to track their cars and so the population gets skewed? I know after 2 targas (a '78 and an '87), I couldn't wait to get a full cabriolet- and I love it more than the targas!! Awesome with the top down, wind in your hair hearing that classic flat 6....
Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by andrew911
I notice a bunch of people prefer coupes, although I can't figure out why...it could be people being on rennlist tend to want to track their cars and so the population gets skewed? I know after 2 targas (a '78 and an '87), I couldn't wait to get a full cabriolet- and I love it more than the targas!! Awesome with the top down, wind in your hair hearing that classic flat 6....
I can definitely see the attraction. I'm certainly not dissing anyone's car type, you understand. I looked seriously at cabs because there were many nice examples available, and at the time I thought I would prefer a C2 and the only C2's I was seeing at the time were cabs. But I found my targe for sale, and the targa was just my notion of a cool 911 from back when I was a kid. And I'm pleased as punch to have the C4. I was just making the observation that I don't see any real price difference currently between cabs and targas.

Originally Posted by fishician
i had been dead-set on a guards red/beige targa,
Whoa...how much money ya got?!!!!
j/k
I'm not ready to give it up...yet. Seriously, you should be able to find one like that, GR seemed to be their dealer-stock color choice of that era, kinda like silver is now. It wasn't my first choice, but the car was too nice to pass up. And it kinda grows on you...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by fishician
ithanks everyone!
heidi
Wait- there's lady in our midst... we haven't had many lady 964 owners on here in a while. Y'all behave now so as not to skeer her off
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I can definitely see the attraction. I'm certainly not dissing anyone's car type, you understand.
I totally understand- didn't take it the wrong way. I was just noticing many on here prefer coupes. My '78 targa was special since I literally worked from age 12 for the car (bought used in 1988)- at that time a cabriolet was way out of my price range as they only started in 1983, and in fact the only reason I could swing it was it was a euro which I got for $10K- the US '78s were going for about $12-15K back then. I was originally looking at '83 944s and stumbled on the red/black euro targa which was amazing. I had so many coats of liquid glass polish on it that it looked very similar to the then current 1989 911 which was priced in the mid-$40Ks if I remember- but of course a rennlister would have picked out in a second the lack of foglights, cookie cutter rims (at least painted black in the center to give a similar look to the fuchs) and small rust bubbles in the door corner.

Quick Reply: thoughts on this?