Sponsored by:

thoughts on this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fishician
i would be one of the folks who wouldn't be interested in a cab. just personal preference.
prices do seem to be headed back up a bit since maybe the late summer. i would pay cash for this. waving money at dealers makes them so much more willing to deal.
i had been dead-set on a guards red/beige targa, but this is such a rich color & the interior isn't too dark. dark interiors roast us down here in so. fla! it also wouldn't attract quite so much attention from the law as a red one. not that i'd be doing anything illegal.
does anyone know of a good shop i the naples area where i could get a PPI, should i move ahead? i have to decide if i'm going to get off my butt on this or remain in the holding pattern for the red.
thanks everyone!
heidi
Hey Heidi. Check out the Ultimate 964 Targa thread I started. It has all of the current listings on Autotrader and Ebay where they included VIN numbers (in one place). With the limited number of Targas, getting lucky with the right car local (color, miles, condition, price) would be a miracle. Don't be afraid to venture out. If you see one somewhere far away I bet someone around here will check it out for you.

Last edited by PNine64; 01-14-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
fishician
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh i don't scare too easily! i'm the mother of 2 boys!
now husband bill wants to know "what happened to the red one, you wouldn't look at anything but red for 6 months. is this the car you want? shall i go look at it tomorrow?" i started talked about ppi's & compression tests & he was gone.
i am leaving for a week thursday. maybe it will be here when i return, having been all checked out & found to be wonderful. **sigh**
heidi
Old 01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
fishician
Track Day

Default more pictures from dealer

i asked for some more pics, specifically the vehicle ID tag inside the trunk lid, as well as interior. here's a link: http://www.mercedesexpert.com/popupv...2&pID=25226050
the dash & wheel, as well as the door trim, etc all appear to be, um, very blue. i thought those parts were all black. i don't believe i've ever seen that before! some may find that attractive but it's not for me. i'm sure that would be costly to change out, right? so i guess it's back to looking..........
heidi
Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM
PNine64
Pro

There is one pic in there where the color comes off a bit "bold" but the pic below says something different to me. The car looks really unmolested (even the stereo). The different blues in the steering wheel would bug me. I think you'd be able to pick up an all black one fairly reasonably ($200 bucks maybe????). I'd probably keep the dash though as it is.

I bet the interior would clean up a bit better with a thorough detail.

Name:  1991 Porsche Targa Autotrader 5 Int.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  40.6 KB
Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Heidi, that car looks to be in pretty good shape. For the mileage, the interior is surprisinly clean especially for one of that color. Either they did some major clean up work or it was really well taken care of. The steerign wheel is kinda strange with all the different colors but all the other parts look pretty good. If you are interested in it, hope the ppi and records all come in straight. Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
ian89C4
Pro

You could always go with an aftermarket sport wheel

Remember, these cars have souls. If you connect with the car and it feels right (and of course the PPI and records are all on the up-and-up) then it is probably the right one for you.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM
fishician
Track Day

Default got the blues.............

travis- from that pic the dash doesn't look so blue but when i looked at the others it seems it is blue. i assumed the panels on the door were the same as the dash & the wheel. changing the wheel wouldn't be a biggie, it was changing the dash & door panels that i would guess to be $$. if those were black, even a dark grey, i'd get a different wheel. maybe wood? it does look very unmolested, they even say that in the ad text. the interior looks even lighter grey in these pics than the ones on autotrader & it does look pretty clean. i sent the dealer a note saying i'd thought the wheel, dash & door panels were black & i didn't like that blue. if they all aren't that "superman blue", i think the dealer would reply stating their true colors.
i did post on the "General" forum asking if anyne could recommend a shop for a ppi over in the naples area. that place does service as well, but it says for benz, bmw, vw & audi. i don't think it would be wise to expect an unbiased ppi from the service dept of a dealer, though. i admit to being very suspicious & untrusting of dealers & sellers, having been burned a time or two. i'm also very picky.
since i'm leaving town thursday, i wouldn't be able to get over there- it's 3 hours away- until the weekend of the 30th.
i'll wait & see how (if) they reply to my note & take it from there.
i really appreciate your thoughts & honesty, guys!
(and girls, in case there's another girl out there)
hope you all have a good sunday!
heidi
Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ya know, FWIW, the myriad of color variations on these cars are another thing that makes them so special. The many shades of blue, including this one, are very popular (certainly one of my favs). It's true that folks seem to feel the most strongly about interior colors (I guess that's because that's what you're looking at while you're driving it ). A lot of people don't like the lighter colors in particular, but I would think for an open-top car in So.FL, it would be ideal.

I certainly had my color preferences while I was looking, but ultimately I started to focus more on the condition of the car, after looking at so many sad sacks. This car appears to be one the cleanest I've seen in some time.
Just sayin'...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:49 PM
fishician
Track Day

hi barry-
i was thrilled to see the seats were even lighter than they had appeared. yes, i would have to live w/that dash, door sides & wheel & that blue i just don't think i can handle it. i also have a thing against red interiors. seats or rugs not so much, but the dash & all. i'd started out dying for that guards red, but i've become a bit more open to suggestion. just not blue or red...... yet. i've only been looking for 6 months or so & i can be patient. i know it's neurotic. i really did like this dark blue & the light grey seats though.
it was supposed to be for my birthday last june. maybe by this june!
love seattle, btw- in july & august. (only times we've been there)
happy monday!
heidi
Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

It's all a matter of personal taste - or lack thereof. If you"liked" that car, you'll "love" this one. IIRC, a member of the Bacardi family ordered this one under the "Special Wishes" program. Everything is leather, including little bits like the vents, etc. Extremely low miles, it was on eBay from a dealer not long ago:

Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I have that exact interior. It is a dark blue and is a very nice contrast to the Linen carpeting and door panels.

I would advise against that Linen color however, unless you are meticuliously clean, and don't mind having your carpets cleaned yearly. And yes, to change it out would be very expensive.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
fishician
Track Day

oh my!! that turquoise is quite the attention-getter!
do like that light grey though. i can see it would be difficult to keep clean i just thought about how sometimes the color on new jeans can rub off. i would cry. no rides home from the baseball park w/o a seat cover!
so that blue only appears so blue in those few pics when in reality it could be a dark dark blue? that wouldn't be bad. the only way to tell will be to go over there & see it w/my own eyes. i have a week to mull it over while i'm away.
heidi
Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 AM
PNine64
Pro

FYI...seems like a good price if it checks out ($16.9K).

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
Name:  1990 Porsche Targa - Autotrader 6.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  51.0 KB
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

i can see it would be difficult to keep clean i just thought about how sometimes the color on new jeans can rub off. i would cry.
That will happen on any light-colored seat. It happens on my cashmere leather. I use Leatherique and it comes right off. If it's a concern, better stick with black.

The red one *looks* like a nice clean one. Price seems realistic.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:55 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi barry-
i was thrilled to see the seats were even lighter than they had appeared. yes, i would have to live w/that dash, door sides & wheel & that blue i just don't think i can handle it. i also have a thing against red interiors. seats or rugs not so much, but the dash & all. i'd started out dying for that guards red, but i've become a bit more open to suggestion. just not blue or red...... yet. i've only been looking for 6 months or so & i can be patient. i know it's neurotic. i really did like this dark blue & the light grey seats though.
it was supposed to be for my birthday last june. maybe by this june!
love seattle, btw- in july & august. (only times we've been there)
happy monday!
heidi
FWIW, I'll bet the colours on the steering wheel are much more similar in person than in that photo. Something happens to subtle colour differences when photographed with a digital camera and flash; they get magnified out of all proportion. The interior shot with the broader view (post 19) will be much more representative, IMO. I suspect the seats will also look better, more homogenous.

Quick Reply: thoughts on this?