Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm shaft installation??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker arm shaft installation??????

Hello all. Does anybody know the proper installation of the rocker arm shafts. Is there a sequence in their arrangement as to the exhaust and intake rocker arm shafts. In other words which way do they face and what is the depth the shaft are installed. The rocker arm shaft consists of rocker arm shaft, shaft bolt, cone/bushing and nut. Which side is the bolt installed as obbosed to the nut? What depth? I ask this because one of mine was about ready to slide all the way out and it was installed in the opposite dirrection from the others when it comes to the bolt side as opposed to the nut side. I hope I explained this correctly and thanks for your help.:banghead.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 AM
roblav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the cam carrier flanges have a wide flange and a narrow flange where each rocker arm shaft goes through. I forget what the book says (in fact I ignore it here - so take this with a grain of salt), but I have always (5 911 engines now) installed them so that the allen bolt head side is always on the narrow flange. The cone nut should protrude a just a bit. There's also a procedure to use a feeler gauge to ensure the grooves in the rocker arm are in the correct location.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 AM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you get them them aligned properly. The first place that rebuilt my engine, misaligned them and when we opened up the engine recently we found they were all over the show. Not encouraging at all and led to a complete rebuld again.

Quick Reply: Rocker arm shaft installation??????