What's this 964 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:38 AM
Tachyon
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's this 964 worth?

Hi Rennlisters,

I'm considering ownership into the 964 world. I've been doing research and reading up on 964s and their differences from earlier 911s. I've never owned a 911 yet, but I know that being patient and careful will pay off. I come to you guys to humbly request your opinion on how I can negotiate a fair price for this particular '90 Carrera 4:

1990 PORSCHE Carrera 4

This dealership is local to me and has a reputation for being a Porsche service shop first and a dealership second. I've spoken to staff there about the particular car and they say asking price is $22.9K, which I feel is a very high point to start. They say it's been local for the past five years and serviced with them regularly. According to them, the previous owner upgraded to a newer 911. Before I really consider purchasing with them, I want to know if throwing them an offer of $14K is unrealistically too low. I just don't know what the fair market value is of the earlier 964s.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:31 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on USA prices - but I would say it looks very original. D90s, flag mirrors and orange indicators - there aren't many 964s around with those features these days!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is not a low mileage car, so I think that the price is high in the current economy. Since no warranty is offered, I would offer them around 18K, and settle for perhaps a little more. You should also get a PPI from another independent, or perhaps have them give you a 1 year warranty.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

seems high given the mileage....are all service records available? 1 owner car? and strong PPI might get it into the 20k range but I tend to agree with you its way overpriced. by the by where's the tool kit?

cked Craigslook....this was at the top of the range (rightfully so)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/1526945384.html

this at the bottom (and i note this 1 comes complete with all service records)
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1529282905.html

and while its a C2....for a Coupe i like this one (2 owners , all service records....shop manuals would reflect a caring owner)
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1526220177.html

if you are interested in the 964 cars (and they are truly fun)....would recommend you also consider out of state...lots of rennlisters can assist with getting names of pro shop for the PPI and likely car will be known to someone.
In any event you can generally track the asking prices of all 964 series across all the States via Craigslook.
As always cars sold privately or by very small brokers will always be priced under that of the larger dealers.

good luck

Last edited by raspberryroadster; 12-30-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
DanielT
Instructor

Sport Haus is a reputable shop...

now as for that car, I would want a close look at it...but it seems to be fairly original..
look at the gear shift lever...pretty worn. and the seats have lots of dark lines from wear...
That appears to be the Linen interior color and it is pretty light in color...shows lots of dirt/stains.
Also look at the engine compartment insulation, it is cracked and hanging down...
not trying to rip the car, just pointing out what I can see in the pics.

Mileage is not low but is not high either...
I would say the car is in the $18K range...
it is a dealer after all, offer them what you are comfortable with, the worst they can say is NO, and they might say yes
Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Originally Posted by DanielT
Sport Haus is a reputable shop...

I called them on a car in the past. They seem very suspect to me, like Victory.

The car I was looking at was a low mileage SC. Upon asking detailed questions and drilling him to get answers the car ended up having an undocumented odometer swap and a full re-spray.

use caution.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was thinking 16-17K with those miles.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Negotiating with a dealer might be difficult. They're their to get every nickel out of you and definitely not interested in taking a loss. Unlike motivated, private sellers who are simply looking to get what they can for their cars, a dealer has a drop dead price which has no correlation to real world values.

I'm guessing you won't be able to get this car for a penny less than $20K. Again, that's not reflective of current market valuations--it's how much they need to get for it. If you were dealing with a private seller, I'd agree w/ others that mid to high-teens is doable.

$0.02
Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

How about this one? From a VERY good dealer... much better (cosmetic condition at least) and less miles: 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera 4

Then road trip it home to "become one" with the car and visit RLers along the way...

Good luck shopping!
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

What anything is worth can only be decided by the buyer and seller. Check real transactions to see what cars are going for, what condition they are in etc.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...prices-17.html
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

17.5k is what you should pay if checks out, dealer will not likely go that low. Worth an offer though.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

14k is way to low of an offer.....I was guessing approx $17k to $18k seems about right.. Just like what the above post states (mrmandmman)

You want to come in with a price that is $8k less...I dont think they will accomodate that..

I would never sell my car for such a low price...Finding a good 964 is not as easy as it used to be....I used to see a lot always in the PCA magazine and there are only a few listings now every once in a while..
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I've found it's usually not worth the hassle of trying to work with a dealer that's got a car as mis-priced as this one. Total waste of time. Who knows where they came up with the price. Waaaay high.

Look elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 AM
Tachyon
6th Gear

I'm just completely amazed at the level of response to my question. I suppose this confirms the outspoken camaraderie of the 911 community in its knowledge and enthusiasm. I took a look at the car I previously mentioned and, while it seems to be in good shape cosmetically, it wasn't exactly inspiring during the first impression. It took about three tries to get it to start from cold but it started up fine and idled for about 10 minutes until I tested the air conditioner on full cold and turned the blower to max. The idle quickly dropped and the engine sputtered and shut off. At this point, it wouldn't start up; the fuel tank was one-quarter full and the battery was fine (according to the salesman). We were both baffled. I suspect it had something to do with the fuel delivery system. In the future, they will let me know when the car is fixed so that I can have a more thorough testing.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 AM
Tachyon
6th Gear

rapberryroadster,

Thank you for your very good input. I will start to use Craigslook to strengthen my searching effort. I did, indeed, inquire about the missing tool kit and the salesman had no answer for that.

kevjandon,

This is good to know. My observations of them in the past, before my interest in the 911 world, have been similar to what you've described. It snowed recently and one of their service techs left a window open on one of their '80s 911s ('83 Cab) which allowed snow and precipitation to accumulate in its interior.

joeybagadonuts,

I tend to agree with you. Something tells me they'd rather sit on this car for another six months than to sell it below their self-imposed threshold.

911Jetta,

That's a beautiful example! I love Slate Grey!

Nine11,

Thanks for pointing to that thread. It confirms that the dealer is asking too much.

Quick Reply: What's this 964 worth?