Sponsored by:

Am I missing a seal/trim piece?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Am I missing a seal/trim piece?

Check this out...is there a piece missing?
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope. You're cool. Mine's like that too.

BTW your taillights are in great nic.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:13 PM
bobster964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm right in saying you have later lights with the seal deleted. I think it was supposed to help breathing of the rear light and stop condensation building inside the unit.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

@The Stig - the car was originally from Quebec which means it spent most of its time out of the sun. That probably helped.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobster964
I think I'm right in saying you have later lights with the seal deleted. I think it was supposed to help breathing of the rear light and stop condensation building inside the unit.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
+1 and because the car is a '90 (according to NinetyOneC2's sig) the light units must have been changed later on in its life.

When I bought my '90 I found that it had an original rear cluster with the full seal on one side and new cluster with the vents on the other. I didn't realise this at first because a PO had fitted a full seal to the vents (not needed of course). I then found out that this had been done because the quarter panel had been replaced
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
+1 and because the car is a '90 (according to NinetyOneC2's sig) the light units must have been changed later on in its life.

When I bought my '90 I found that it had an original rear cluster with the full seal on one side and new cluster with the vents on the other. I didn't realise this at first because a PO had fitted a full seal to the vents (not needed of course). I then found out that this had been done because the quarter panel had been replaced
I'm thinking the same thing. There's some overspray on the rear bumper so I'm pretty sure it's been whacked in the rear. PPI and subsequent inspections don't show any significant repair. Alternately, having been a Porsche in Montreal it might simply have been vandalized at some point;-)
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I'm thinking the same thing. There's some overspray on the rear bumper so I'm pretty sure it's been whacked in the rear. PPI and subsequent inspections don't show any significant repair. Alternately, having been a Porsche in Montreal it might simply have been vandalized at some point;-)
and then again they may have just been changed for cosmetic reasons - the originals would have gone pink and misted up with time. The original full seal versions were discontinued so the only replacements were the newer vented type. And from the pics in your other thread, your 964 looks like it had a caring previous owner(s) so only the best would do
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
and then again they may have just been changed for cosmetic reasons - the originals would have gone pink and misted up with time. The original full seal versions were discontinued so the only replacements were the newer vented type. And from the pics in your other thread, your 964 looks like it had a caring previous owner(s) so only the best would do
I like your take on it better;-)

The last owner did have plenty of service records...
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced one of my taillights on 90 C4 last year. It came with a new rubber gasket, and a hook up for the vent tube. It looks like you have a seal in your pic. Haven't personally seen one without a rubber seal.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I replaced the lights on my 90 and transfered the seal over to the new lights. It just looked right after owning the car for 3 years.

Quick Reply: Am I missing a seal/trim piece?