Sponsored by:

Trunk Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trunk Seal?

My trunk in front has become a swamp. It's unrelentingly wet right now in Oregon, with pounding rain about half the time. It looks like the seal at the front lip of the trunk might be the culprit. Has anyone replaced one of these?

I was running with a bra installed on the trunk sheet metal, and I also suspect that it was causing an ineffective seal, but I'd like to know if any one else has dealt with this?

I think the moisture is affecting the electrical bits like my blower servos etc, as I've had to R&R those this week....

Any thoughts - besides moving to New Mexico?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
My trunk in front has become a swamp. It's unrelentingly wet right now in Oregon, with pounding rain about half the time. It looks like the seal at the front lip of the trunk might be the culprit. Has anyone replaced one of these?

I was running with a bra installed on the trunk sheet metal, and I also suspect that it was causing an ineffective seal, but I'd like to know if any one else has dealt with this?

I think the moisture is affecting the electrical bits like my blower servos etc, as I've had to R&R those this week....

Any thoughts - besides moving to New Mexico?

Wow the weather has been Garbage. I have been wanting to drive for 2 weeks.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont leave the bra on in the rain. The water can get under the clear coat if it stays wet for days or weeks.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
Dont leave the bra on in the rain..
Yeah, its off now. I was also worried that it was making for a bad seal too.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Dan J.
Advanced

Hi Tom,

Have you heard the one about the penguin, the ice cream cone and the seal?

There are seams in that trunk seal that's in the lower left/right corners...at least there is on mine. Are those seams squished down and sealed when the trunk lid is fully closed? If not, water can get forced into the trunk when driving. That might be worth checking.

It's sunny today though.

Dan.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the entire trunk seal years ago. Wasn't particularly hard - but did mean I had to unbolt the trunk hinges.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Don't you think a bra is a bit efemine? Seriously though, if the seal isn't ripped/coming apart or worn then check that the lid is adjusted so that it presses down lightly against it and that it is in position. It's meant to act as an eaves trough and shed water over the front seal. Check that the front corners havn't come unglued which a little bit of black RTV can't fix. RTV can even be used on a slightly worn out or torn seal if you enjoy sculpting in silicone. It's easier and cheaper to repair than buying a new one, especially if the PO decided to glue it in with an emphasis on easier.

Hope this helps
Bill
Old 12-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
I replaced the entire trunk seal years ago. Wasn't particularly hard - but did mean I had to unbolt the trunk hinges.
Dave,

I realise it's a bit late now, but why would you do that??? You can very easily drop the new seal over the top of the bonnet and locate the rear part correctly without having to disturb the bonnet at all!!

Replacing mine did make a big difference although not as noticeable as the replacement door seals.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leaking bonnet

i used a bra when i relocated about 800 miles to my new location. when i installed the bra there were 2 washesers that needed to be installed under the hood latch to keep it from shuttin down tightly, provide more gap for the bra. so i suspect if you remove the bra it will never close as tight as it came from the factory till you remove these washers. that of corse if there were installed to begin with. good luck

Quick Reply: Trunk Seal?