Sponsored by:

Alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
RacinToday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm question

Was sitting in home office working a while ago and heard a car alarm go off. It turned out to be the 964 sitting in the garage. That has never happened before.
I ran out and all the garage doors were closed and no sign of anything strange.
My question is: What, other than somebody attempting to get into your car, can cause the alarm to go off?
Electronic signal from something on the street out front? Earthquake (we don't get many here in KC), mechanical problem in my car? Bad karma on part of owner? Mouse or rodent climbing into engine bay? Or just one of those mysteries.
I have had the car for about three weeks now and it has been sitting in same place in garage when I am not driving it and has never had the problem.
Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much will depend on what alarm you have - whether it be a Porsche fitment or after market one. Generally the alarms rely on sensor input and/or voltage drop detection so anything that can cause a draw on the battery can cause the alarm to be activated.

Classic candidates are the glovebox light and the lights in the luggage and engine compartment. The light in the luggage compartment is operated by a switch which bears onto a very flimsy bracket that often gets bent out of shape and can often leave the switch on "the edge" as it were. Bad contacts and worn/damaged insulator on the wires to the door switches is another one to look for.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

If the sensors on the rear parcel shelf are to sensitive they will set the alarm off when cold air mixes with warm air in the car when the alarm is on, If it happens again just put a bit of tape over the front of the sensors to see if this solves your problem.
Unfotunatly if this is your problem I have no idea how to reduce the sensetivity of the sensors.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:31 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Racin Today

Do you have an aftermarket radio fitted? If so, search on "green wire"

"If the sensors on the rear parcel shelf are to (too) sensitive they will set the alarm off when cold air mixes with warm air in the car when the alarm is on"

Hope this helps
Bill

Quick Reply: Alarm question