Sponsored by:

Replacement Steering Racks....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Steering Racks....

I've been through all the old posts but they are mostly older so I thought I would ask.....

Anybody have experience with steeringracks.com? They have the best price, but I'm wondering what kind of quality to expect.

Griffiths had some good feedback but raised prices to $699.

What is the difference in quality between the ZF racks and some of the others out there?

Thanks in advance...now back to shovelling
Old 12-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have no experience with steeringracks.com but I changed my steering rack to a rebuilt unit from Vertex Auto last winter. Their price was significantly better than everyone else ($500 vs $1200). It came with a warranty so I took a chance. After 1 year, it has performed flawlessly.

No affiliations.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same boat and spent a few hours researching steering racks. It seems as though the big issue is the quality of workmanship on the rebuild. If the item is not cleaned up well and the seals are not installed properly then it will leak again. I ended up ordering from www.rackdoctor.net

The unit was $299 with a 2 year warranty and I did not find any negative feedback regarding him on ebay. The next closest price I found was on www.powersteeringpros.com for either $350 or $450 with a three year warranty.

From what I have read the racks on the 964 and 993 tend to get leaky so if the ZF leaks anyway and I will be doing a DIY, I may as well get one that has a longer warranty period than ZF.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my $0.02.

I had a leak in the rack that blew off the boot. As a stop-gap, since I was a week away from going to the Glen, I added Lucas "Power Steering Stop Leak" and replaced the boot.

Well, 2 1/2 years later, maybe I should consider changing out the "DRY" steering rack!
Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
Just my $0.02.

I had a leak in the rack that blew off the boot. As a stop-gap, since I was a week away from going to the Glen, I added Lucas "Power Steering Stop Leak" and replaced the boot.

Well, 2 1/2 years later, maybe I should consider changing out the "DRY" steering rack!
I took your advice 6 months ago and mine has slowed from adding fluid every 3 weeks to once in 6 months,
Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have used steeringracks.com before, but it was not for a Porsche rack. I actually used them twice. Once for a Toyota rack and once for a VW rack. Their service was great although they did not give me credit for the crashed toyota rack. The VW rack had to get special PS fluid and I called to make sure that it was all done correctly. The rebuilder is in S. Carolina IIRC. I think I still have his shop number if you need it. Their prices were the best I could find and I would have no problem recommending them.

If they don't have any replacement racks in stock, they will rebuild yours.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

How difficult is to find the parts and perform the rebuild as a diy?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Jonnygo1
Pro

I was wondering the same, but it's winter here and I don't have a lift so I will be paying someone to do it for me!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
dehavens
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jonnygo1
I've been through all the old posts but they are mostly older so I thought I would ask.....

Anybody have experience with steeringracks.com? They have the best price, but I'm wondering what kind of quality to expect.

Griffiths had some good feedback but raised prices to $699.

What is the difference in quality between the ZF racks and some of the others out there?

Thanks in advance...now back to shovelling

I recently replaced my leaking rack with a rack ordered from http://www.carsteering.com. It was shipped fast and looked great and has so far held up through a few track events. I did some research before buying from them and found other people with positive experiences.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Thanks for the recommendations. It turns out that I'm going to send my rack to Rich at rackdoctor in SC for him to rebuild.

Oh, and I found a few other things that need replacing....so now the job will include:

Control arm bushings
Tie rods
Ball jonits
Sway bar bushings and clamps
993 Rack brace
All new hardware

Merry Christmas to me!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Almost done with the project....but have a question for the experts. The 993 booster is quite a bit larger than the original and is making contact with the steering rack brace. Will this be a problem? Perhaps I should just remove the brace as I recall some discussion as to whether or not it really does anything?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Replacement Steering Racks....