Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you are a Scotchdrinker

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up, among some other things, a nice little gift set of Johnny Walker. Red, Black, Gold and Blue for $65. Not full size mind you. Just the blue shorty is normally that much.
I also picked up some Glen Garioch 8 and 15 and tried them with the 10. 10 has been my favorite for some time but the 8 was excellent, great value. The 15 was nectar. No burn until it is down the hatch, then warm and wonderful. We are going to try the 21 soon. Can't wait.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:07 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Great video.

If anyone lives in FL and wants to buy 10 bottles of Blue, I have them at $130 a bottle.

No shipping out of state.

Cabman

Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM
RSGulp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a story for all the Highland Park drinkers. Pour yourself a wee glass and read on...

I used to work with a creative agency which handled the global marketing for the Highland Park distillery on the Orkney Islands - it's the Northern-most Scottish whiskey distillery in the World. Next stop north is the Arctic Circle.

I was invited to spend three days on the Orkney Islands a few years ago. The idea being the distillery workers would immerse us in the brand and their culture - sampling the whiskies, discovering how they are made, meeting the people who have worked for generations at the distillery, seeing where the peat is dug, the spring where the water is taken from, and visiting the many ancient sites around the islands which were discovered and actually owned by the Vikings until relatively recently.

One night we were invited to attend a traditional multiple course meal at a local hotel. Each course was accompanied by a Highland Park Single Malt of varying ages. The food was fantastic and the whiskey was flowing very nicely.

At the end of the evening about fifteen of us climbed aboard the bus to take us across the island to our hotel. It was a very cold and dark night - there is no light polution on the Orkney Islands. The sky is very, very black and the stars are very clear and bright.

As we travelled through the total darkness one of the elderly distillery workers stood up at the front of the bus and began telling us an ancient tale. In his broad local accent he spoke about a group of Vikings who were travelling one night across the island. It was a very cold night and they were desperately searching for a place to shelter until the morning.

As they came over the crest of a hill they could see lights in the distance. They were hoping it was their village and they would finally find themselves safe and warm once more.

As the old distillery worker told us the story the bus suddenly stopped. The driver turned-off the interior lighting and the old guy shouted, "Look! Look outside! There are lights!". We all peered into the darkness and he was right. There was what looked like old oil lamps being waved from side to side in the darkness.

Suddenly the bus doors opened, the cold wind blew in and the old guy ran outside. "Follow me!" he shouted.

We all left the bus and as our eyes grew used to the darkness we could make out large silhouetted shapes all around us. We walked towards the lights and discovered they were being held by all the distillery workers we had met on our visit. We were guided to a very large oak dining table which was very surreally placed on the side of a hill in the middle of nowhere. On the table were glasses filled with a very old 1964 Highland Park whiskey.

As we all shared a warming drink and toasted, “Skol!” the traditional Viking version of cheers, we found we could eventually make out what the shapes were all around us. The thirty of us were drinking whiskey, at 1am, in the cold and dark, standing around a 12ft diameter oak dining table in the centre of the 4000 year old Ring of Brodgar, a huge Neolithic stone circle dominating the west mainland of the main Orkney Island.

To this day my favourite whiskey is Highland Park … and probably always will be. I feel I have very special memories of it’s birthplace.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a great story, thank you for sharing.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Pretty cool video.

I am not a hard licor drinker... but I have tried the blue and to be honest, I don't like it... really not into wisky.

I do have to say, the other day a friend gave me some A. De Fussigny Extra cognac and that thing was sooooo smooth! Very nice indeed.

Still, I will stick with my cabs. And let the real men drink the wisky, lol.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Now, THAT was an evocatively told story. And, story.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
mojo747
Racer

That is a great story. By the hammer of Grapthar, my next purchase will be Highland Park. No joke. I'm going to print that account for my scotch buddies to read.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 PM
941MXVET
Pro

Nice story Rich, I just picked up my first bottle of Highland Park after it was recommended in this thread. I can unequivocally recommend it.

Wachuko, Scotch is an acquired taste, my golfing buddy while I was in the USAF was an avid scotch drinker. He drank Dewars White Label, and I would have a glass or two as well with him. Although it tasted like dirt, I soon started to really appreciate the taste (And in regards to Dewars, I use the word "taste" loosely) I was 19. If your interested in acquiring the taste I would suggest buying yourself a bottle of Glenmoraing (sp?) or Glenlivet, or Chevas, pour about 1 finger in a rocks glass and top with soda water. Pretty soon you might start to appreciate the subtle tastes and gradually increase the level of whisky.

Or enjoy your favorite cab!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for telling, Rick.

Scotch is an acquired taste...941MXVET
In my teens, I never cared for it. Then a buddy and I went on a spring skiing trip to Whistler and found out there was no liquor store open (this was a long time ago). The only alcohol we had was his mickey of scotch, which he kindly shared with me, and which, in the circumstances, tasted mighty fine.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...just picked up my first bottle of Highland Park...941MXVET
Did likewise today, to celebrate the resolution of a file I've been working on for 5 years.

This is a very nice Scotch.

I'm going to print that account...mojo
I sent an account to our local liquor merchant, who really liked the story.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 941MXVET
...Wachuko, Scotch is an acquired taste, my golfing buddy while I was in the USAF was an avid scotch drinker. He drank Dewars White Label, and I would have a glass or two as well with him. Although it tasted like dirt, I soon started to really appreciate the taste (And in regards to Dewars, I use the word "taste" loosely) I was 19. If your interested in acquiring the taste I would suggest buying yourself a bottle of Glenmoraing (sp?) or Glenlivet, or Chevas, pour about 1 finger in a rocks glass and top with soda water. Pretty soon you might start to appreciate the subtle tastes and gradually increase the level of whisky.

Or enjoy your favorite cab!!!
I have a few Chivas Regal bottles here, along with some JW Green and Blue, but that is for when we have friends over that drink it... I have tried it, with and without 7-Up, straight and over ice... now and when I was in college... so my taste buds are just not there.

But man! That cognac, A. de Fussigny Extra Cognac , I had was gooooooooood... Not sure how it ranks, and it was the first cognac I ever had but I can see myself trying a few more...

What is the difference between whisky (or whiskey) and Cognac?
Whisk(e)y is made from grain (generally barley, but other grains may be used, such as corn of wheat) while Cognac (and Armagnac) is produced from grapes.
The fabrication process is however similar: all the art consists of extracting sugar and transforming it into alcohol.

Cheers!!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM
mojo747
Racer

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I have a few Chivas Regal bottles here, along with some JW Green and Blue, but that is for when we have friends over that drink it... I have tried it, with and without 7-Up, straight and over ice... now and when I was in college... so my taste buds are just not there.

But man! That cognac, A. de Fussigny Extra Cognac , I had was gooooooooood... Not sure how it ranks, and it was the first cognac I ever had but I can see myself trying a few more...

What is the difference between whisky (or whiskey) and Cognac?
Whisk(e)y is made from grain (generally barley, but other grains may be used, such as corn of wheat) while Cognac (and Armagnac) is produced from grapes.
The fabrication process is however similar: all the art consists of extracting sugar and transforming it into alcohol.

Cheers!!
If you can get into a tasting club you just might come around. I got into it because my only experience with scotch was Dewars. Wasn't impressed. I figured there had to be more to it than that. I was right. Tasting all kinds of scotch and learning why they taste the way they do is very interesting. I have had the exceptional opportunity to sample dozens of scotches in the few short years I have been in my group. Priceless. I've never had the disappointment buying a scotch I didn't like. They vary so widely in character that I'm convinced there is at least one scotch out there that each person will love. An Islay with a good steak, a Highland with some fig newtons. A whole world of scotch awaits you. I bet you just haven't found your scotch yet.
Now, I could stand to learn a few things about cognac.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:25 PM
941MXVET
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I don't think I've ever tried cognac, at least that I can remember(!)
I will keep an eye out while in our local liquer stores for a bottle.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

A great story...and I agree, Highland Park is the best!

Thomas
Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
porktastic
Advanced

Angry

Good video (and I like Robert Carlyle) - most interesting however that the dialogue mentions Kilmarnock at the begining but fails to mention they plan on closing the whole operation down and thus make so many workers redundant.

Johnnie Walker used to be the heart of town and now the suits are moving it away - very angry about that (and yes I originally come from Kilmarnock)

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6689359.ece

Anyway if you guys like Highland Park I really suggest you try out Bunnahabhain - very very nice!

http://www.bunnahabhain.com/index.php
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/malt/bunnahabhain.htm

Quick Reply: If you are a Scotchdrinker