Sponsored by:

964 Roll Bar or Roll Cage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:04 PM
P2BE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Roll Bar or Roll Cage?

The car is a 964, intended for street use 90% and some track use 10%. At this point I don't think I'll race it, but once you go in......

The question I have is should I get a roll bar, better for street use but a compromise for the track, or should I get a roll cage, with the compromise of the side bars for everyday use.

Then, what brand and bolt in or weld in?? I have seen the DAS, Saftey Devices and the Autopower. Any others?

Roll Bar or Roll Cage?

Bolt in or Weld in?

Saftey Devices - Autopower - DAS - Other?

Pictures PLEASE.

THANKS!!

Last edited by P2BE; 12-13-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:31 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For 90% road use the inconvenience of continually crawling over the side intrusion bars would be more than I or any of my passengers could tolerate. I'm looking at a bolt in half cage from Heigo as a real world compromise which allows easy entry and egress from the car but a fair degree of added strength and protection. My car is probably 60-40 road /track use.

Neil
Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
pantera43
Pro

For a Street/DE car I think I'd go with a roll bar. Here's a picture of my bolt in DAS roll bar that I use for double duty. You can also go with half a cage from Safety Devices that allows you to bolt up a full cage later down the road.

Dan
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm about to install a roll BAR / CAGE (without the side bars that run across the doors)! I will permanently mount the roll bar, while the rest of the cage portion is a bolt-in, so I'll just install them for DE days.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is a roll cage even considered legal for the street ?
IIRC, you can not wear a 5,6 or 7 point harness for street legal driving.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
pantera43
Pro

Lewis, here in N.Y I've had two inspections done by two separate inspection stations. Never had a problem thus far. Of course now that I've said that....

Dan
Old 12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Is a roll cage even considered legal for the street ?
IIRC, you can not wear a 5,6 or 7 point harness for street legal driving.
How does having a competition harness preclude keeping the stock 3-points intact? You may have a smaller selection of fixed-back seats that are compatible, but that's about the only downside.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I would only do a rollbar or "half cage" for the street there's way too much hardware to bang into or crawl around to make it smart for the street. The roll bar does away with the harness bar problem of being strapped upright in your seat in a rollover...I have a early DAS bar (in my street/track rsa) that goes all the way to the siderails/seatbelt bolts which is fine for a bolt in bar... that said if you have any thoughts about racing and are thinking half cage then adding the full for racing, then you will want to install a half cage that meets the requrements of the sanctioning body you run with, the diagonal, floorplates, and number/type of bends in the hoop may or may not be legal, the Safety devices 964 cage does not meet NASA regs...you may just want to check it out ahead of time....
Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent used option for sale:
Garrett's 964 Safety Devices Cage

Designs vary. The side, door bars on a Safety Devices cage attach to the lower end of the forward bars, near the "feet", which makes ingress/egress a lot easier. The Autopower side bars attach slightly higher and the feet are bolted to the floor. The SD mounts on the sill which appears to be a better design. They're both PCA Club Racing approved but you'd need to modify them for NASA racing, not HPDE's.

Having a removable harness bar is also nice for a dual-purpose car. If it's fixed, the belts bang against the back of your seats (or you'd need to remove them in between events). That is, if you've retained the 3-pt belts for street use.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pics

Autopower Cage

Safey Devices

Quick Reply: 964 Roll Bar or Roll Cage?