Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,896 Likes on 2,892 Posts
Default OT: VW BEETLE CLUTCH

all,

any new body style beetle owners??

i am searching for a new body style 2001 TDI(diesel) 5 speed vw beetle for my son....he is 15 and i want to get something we can "tinker" on for a year before he gets his learners permit.

i found a nice local beetle however the owner claims it needs a new clutch...it is a good deal however she claims the car can't be driven at all now...my previous experiences with porsches or mercedes manual transmissions is that you can start them in second gear and actually drive and shift them w/o a clutch as long as you are on level ground....i've driven around seattle and up hills when the clutch cable broke on my 83 911sc on the way to my mechanic.

the owner of the vw claims the clutch went out on the highway and there was suddenly no power to the wheels so i am assuming this is a TRANSMISSION problem....i asked her if she tried starting the car in second gear trying to drive it but she hasn't...her mechanic says it is the clutch and i am awaiting a call from him but i wanted to ask you guys or confirm:

*will the beetle clutch/tranny setup allow the driver to start the car in gear and drive it simialr to the porsche?...i assume it would and i want to make sure before i speak to the mechanic.

thx
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume the reason the car is not drivable is because the clutch is slipping so badly that it won't hold/transfer any power at all. My 964 was almost that bad when I bought it. I don't know anything about those cars, but would assume if the clutch is really badly worn, you won't be able to drive it. The condition you are describing is not for a worn out clutch, but rather when you can't get the clutch to release. In that instance, the clutch will still transfer power, but just won't disengage to allow you to select gears. Totally different problem. Hope that helps a little.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

sounds like a good first car!

I've got a beetle, but one of the oldies...
Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

those old bugs are great cars....the newer beetle diesels don't have alot of guts but they seem to be well built and fairly safe cars.

my son is a great kid with 4.0 average in school and well deserves his own transportation to high school...the bus adds 1.5 hrs a day to his commute
Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
the owner of the vw claims the clutch went out on the highway and there was suddenly no power to the wheels so i am assuming this is a TRANSMISSION problem....i asked her if she tried starting the car in second gear trying to drive it but she hasn't...her mechanic says it is the clutch and i am awaiting a call from him but i wanted to ask you guys or confirm:
I am sure you have had a clutch go. IME it is not like that.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 PM
gecc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great cars. I've got several customers that are "complaining" about getting 45-48mpg. I would recommend
getting rid of the dual mass flywheel and using the Valeo single mass kit. Change the timing belt every
80k miles. Also check out http://ross-tech.com/ for PC based software for VW. You need it to set pump timing.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the newer beetle diesels don't have alot of guts "
Eh ?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Eh ?
They do... that diesel engine has good torque... something like 150hp /170 lbs.-ft of torque is nice...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Indycam
Well, I can tell you first hand the old beetles didn't either

My buddy has a jetta diesel that's about 10 years old with over 200K miles- it's not a race car, but that's also part of the reason maybe it's good as a first car- not fast enough to get into trouble.

The latest jetta diesel bumped the HP up from something like 90 of the old diesel motor (like in the beetle groovezella is looking at) to 140- with the diesel torque that car must move pretty well- it's received good ratings.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by andrew911
Well, I can tell you first hand the old beetles didn't either

My buddy has a jetta diesel that's about 10 years old with over 200K miles- it's not a race car, but that's also part of the reason maybe it's good as a first car- not fast enough to get into trouble.

The latest jetta diesel bumped the HP up from something like 90 of the old diesel motor (like in the beetle groovezella is looking at) to 140- with the diesel torque that car must move pretty well- it's received good ratings.
The new ones have 170hp/177 lbs-ft torque... that shows some guts

Last edited by Wachuko; 12-11-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

GUTS menaing torque/pull

the vw beetle diesel i drove a couple of years ago was a 1998 and it didn't have much punch /torque...we have owned several mercedes diesels the last being a 1999 E300D and that engine had incredible torque for a heavy car.

with the beetle being such a small car i assumed they would have more "punch"/torque/pull
Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TDI is a great motor . I want one for my vanagon .
http://www.tdiclub.com/
http://cs-www.cs.yale.edu/homes/jag/...p/tdiswap.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKOUomJMLo

Quick Reply: OT: VW BEETLE CLUTCH