Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbee tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009 | 12:03 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Hey Racin!

What part of town are you in, I'm up in the Northlands. We can organize a KC newbie parade.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:20 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Bill:
I have a set of rachets, I very nice set of Snap-On metric wrenches I got as a gift, the car's tool kit, complete set of screw drivers, a hammer, a drill and plenty of band-aids. So, basically, I have you're old-man fix-the-lawn mower set. I know I want a jack and jack stands.
CS -- I live in Brookside area. A bit east and south. Love the idea of a newbie parade. With snow coming tomorrow, may have to wait til spring but I like the idea. You in the KCPCA????
Old 12-07-2009 | 11:25 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

To save on bandages get a propane torch to loosen seized fasteners. Snap-On are one of the best tools, I had mine stolen and I really miss them especially the thin wall on there sockets and the close indent on their ratchets. You'll need a set of metric allen wrenches both long and short. The 12 pt. (i.e. double torx) to hold the alternator bolt. Swivel head sockets (13mm for the exhaust bolts), Snap-On wanted $90.00 for just one so I decided to buy 2 sets (i.e. SAE and metric) of Craftsman for $60.00 and take full advantage of their life time warranty, which I had to use twice in so many years. Big wrenches for the oil line fittings and a long 3/4" breaker bar and the socket for the caliper bolts and any stubborn fastener that needs a bit of persuasion. I like to use a 1 foot long machinest feeler guage to adjust the valves as it is thin enough to bend in order to get into those tight places and when the end gets worn I simply trim it off whith scissors. A drill/drill bits/center punch and taps to repair broken off bolts screws in blind holes. Anti seize compond and a multimeter, soldering gun and shring wrap tubing for wire repair. Epoxy. Impact screw driver although heat will suffice. Chisel, pipe wrench for those rounded off bolt heads and nuts where enough heat wasn't applied. Torque wrench. Dielectric grease. Make sure your #2 Phillips head screw driver can access the rear most distributor (i.e. fits under the rear body work) screw as they can become seized and anything other than a straight on attack will likely result in a mangled head and much frustration. Anything much beyond a valve adjust or anything external to the engine will require extending the list of tools including an ATV jack to drop the engine.

Hope this helps
Bill

Last edited by darth; 12-07-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 12-07-2009 | 12:12 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Great suggestions, so far.
Or, basically, accrue as needed. (- that's been my general plan of action.)

Of course - - you could always go 'Jeff Spicoli' on this and not spend a dime...

Quick Reply: newbee tools