Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"cabriolet top open" dash light on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
superdylan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "cabriolet top open" dash light on.

Hi guys. From the moment I bought the car, this light has been on in my dash panel.

I've located 2 sensors that run along the top edge of the car where the top meets the windshield section.

I've also located 2 more sensor that are on the passenger side rear quarter.

I've got a couple of questions:
Are there any more sensors for the convertible top?
Does anyone know what I should check concerning this dash light operation?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the roof open/close properly?

And a good sequence of events here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...roof-work.html

Good luck.

Last edited by user 783003; 11-03-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Didn't read question fully...I'm a bonehead.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 AM
superdylan
Advanced

Yes, the roof opens and closes perfectly.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram on how this dash light operates?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Does the dash light ever go out ??
Is it on only when up/closed ??
Is it on only when stored/down??

Have you found the 2 micro switches on the lower control arms ( 1 each side) that close the circuit when the top is stowed. HAve you adjusted these ?/
You have found the two micro switches on the upper windshield - have you adjusted??
If you have adjsuted then the only other micro switch that is not working ( SAD TO SAY ) is the micro switch in the upper roof housing- that attaches to the windshield - These are inside the electrical engaging motors that pull and clamp the roof in place- shut of the electrical motor when you hold the switch down for that last 2 inches or so. Does the motor keep running and make a clicking sound if held too long??/ In your case if the light is staying on all the time - then one of these switches could be locked open - NOT SURE- These micro switches go bad - and the only way to fix is to replace the unit / the whole electrical motor device - TO THE TUNE OF ABOUT $500.00-
EACH - May be able to find in salvage yard - but - What you buy is what you get -
Old 11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

The dash light is controlled by the cabriolet roof control unit (I can't remember its official name). Its under the dash. The wiring diagram is in the factory manual. Do you have access to one?

Why do I know this? Because my roof open light flickers periodically. Its annoying but I'm living with it. I have verified that both limit switches in the roof header and the ones on the motor in the back seat are working. I'm suspecting that my problem is either a faulty control unit (broken solder joints, etc) or a fault in the wire harness itself. I hope to isolate the problem this winter. The difficult has been that the dash light doesn't illuminate in the garage.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
superdylan
Advanced

The dash light never goes out, whether the top is open or closed.

When I close the top, there is a clicking coming from the passenger side motor for about 3 seconds and then it stops. (That's when I let go of the rocker switch.) So, I'll dig a little bit into the switches that lock the top to the windshield.

I think I have a pretty good idea now of what is going on. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

One other possibility, is a fault in the clock. See https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...light-diy.html
Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

One thing you want to check when you start looking around is the transmission mounting bolts on both sides - Check the 3 bolt that mount each transmission to the frame and make sure they have not come loose - - This is an issue that occurs and causes a lot of cab top problems - The rear micro switches are alos in th same position so you can check these as well while in the location.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Victoria964
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
The dash light is controlled by the cabriolet roof control unit (I can't remember its official name). Its under the dash. The wiring diagram is in the factory manual. Do you have access to one?

Why do I know this? Because my roof open light flickers periodically. Its annoying but I'm living with it. I have verified that both limit switches in the roof header and the ones on the motor in the back seat are working. I'm suspecting that my problem is either a faulty control unit (broken solder joints, etc) or a fault in the wire harness itself. I hope to isolate the problem this winter. The difficult has been that the dash light doesn't illuminate in the garage.
I recently purchased my 964. I am having the same problem, top light flickers on/off and I can hear relay clicking. Was it broken solder joints on the CAB top module under dash? Was it a pain in the *** to get to without removing lower dash?
Thanks Mark
Old 01-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Mark,

The cabrio control module is accessible without removing the dash. Its in a tight spot and its awkward to access but it can be done. Its held in with two small (9mm?) nuts. In LHD cars, its above the pedal assembly mounted to the bottom of the front firewall. Its a pain to access, you have to lay on your back and look up or better yet use a mirror.

In my case, I replaced the module with a rebuilt one and my intermittent fault went away.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:07 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 249 Posts

The cabrio control module has several known faults, the most common is failing solder joints on the connector pins. This is an easy fix for a guy with some experience with a soldering iron.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-24-2016, 04:02 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the latch motor has started to click then the internal gear has probably lost some teeth and needs replacing. The gears are available from Vertex.

JF
Old 01-25-2016, 10:12 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had to re-solder my control unit twice. both times it fixed the problem of the top not working.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:52 AM
Edward J Blaney
3rd Gear

Default 964 Convertible Light Stays On

Originally Posted by superdylan
Hi guys. From the moment I bought the car, this light has been on in my dash panel.

I've located 2 sensors that run along the top edge of the car where the top meets the windshield section.

I've also located 2 more sensor that are on the passenger side rear quarter.

I've got a couple of questions:
Are there any more sensors for the convertible top?
Does anyone know what I should check concerning this dash light operation?

Thanks!
One of the things to check is the level of charge your battery has. If there is not enough capacity to put the top up and down, the sensor may go off. I am experiencing this right now. My battery drained do to my kids leaving the ignition on. I charged the battery for 3 hours and was able to start the car however the light stayed on. I am trickle charging now - when the battery is fully charged I will see if it turns it off. Also note, that regardless of how much you drive this car, the alternator never charges the battery 100% - After driving my car I put the trickle charger to keep the battery 100% charged.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:05 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

There are 2 micro switches on the forward part of the top where it attaches to the windshield. One the outside of each rotating clamp these could be failing to register properly when the top is fully up and locked OR non operational at all. The 2 micro switches in the rear side panels by the transmissions are to register when the top is down and closed.
Does the top stop going forward on its own? And like wise, when you put the top down does it stop on its own without you having to release the switch on dash?
Attached are pics of micro switch and location on front cross piece- they go in the small empty rectangle opening.

Quick Reply: "cabriolet top open" dash light on.