Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 stopped running after idle to check oil, help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 AM
DDotson
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 964 stopped running after idle to check oil, help!

So, I noticed that my oil level indicator wasn't registering anything (but it had been working fine before). I don't have any oil leaks and drive the car maybe 1-3 times a week. I decided to start it today and let it run for about 20 minutes to get warm, then check the oil on the dipstick, again. It's so hard to read anything on that dipstick. Anyway, after the car warmed up, I was checking the oil, then went back to check my temperature guage again and noticed "check engine" light was on. Then I heard the engine sound like it was slowing a bit, then before I could turn the engine off, it quit on its own. So I let it cool off awhile, then tried to start. No dice, not even a turn on the starter, just a single click when I turn the key. All of the warning lamps come on when I turn the key (so I think the battery is okay), but nothing when I try to start.

It has about 1/4 tank of gas, so I don't think it ran dry. Even if it did for some reason, I would think it would still try to start. The oil level on the dipstick is on the low end, but it's so hard to read I can't be certain if it's above the "low" notch, but I definitley see it in the swirly part of the end of the dipstick.

I've read some posts about disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting to reset the DME. Haven't tried that yet - does anyone have any recommendations? The car is a '91 C2 with about 66,000 miles and has been running great until this. Thanks for any ideas you all may have...
Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes, we touch something and it breaks. Other times, things just break and we attempt to connect it to our actions but it is simply coincidence.

I recently had the experience of trying to start my 964, which had been running perfectly the last time I parked her, and getting (as we say) bupkis. Battery? Check. Air? lots of it around. Fuel? well, tank is full. Spark? Hmmmm. Twist. Bupkis.

It was simply the DME relay. It had chosen to give up the ghost. Swapped in a good one (from my 993) and she started right up. (993.615.227.00)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As mentioned above, it could be the DME relay. I would have the condition of the battery checked, and also check the battery ground strap, as well as the other grounding points.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

DME relay wont stop the car from cranking over
Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad ground. The car would run fine and then.....nothing. It had the original braided ground strap with no insulation. The part was cheap and I have had no issue since.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds like you may have a bad alternator. Have you checked the voltage of your battery? I suspect its discharged. If you charge the battery, does the engine run again? If yes, then you have a fault in the charging.

Good luck on finding the problem.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Sounds like you may have a bad alternator. Have you checked the voltage of your battery? I suspect its discharged. If you charge the battery, does the engine run again? If yes, then you have a fault in the charging.

Good luck on finding the problem.
Sounded like the alternator to me as well.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDotson
, just a single click when I turn the key. All of the warning lamps come on when I turn the key (so I think the battery is okay), but nothing when I try to start.

You say level indicator showed nothing thats normal when cold but what did the oil pressure guage read?

also flat battery did get clicks from mine but enough juice to light warning lights and head lights IIRC if teh charging circuit is no good then maybe* this could cause the engine to stall. and not enough to start again.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
tall02
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No turn over

I would checked the following causes:

- Battery dead
- Alternator not charging
- Bad cables
- Poor connection at the battery posts
- Bad starter
- Bad starter solenoid
- Ignition switch Just because the dash lights come on does not mean the starter switch in the ignition switch is working.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
DDotson
Advanced

Thanks to all for the ideas so far. I tried starting it again this evening and it at least tried to turnover, though only for a very short spurt. If I turned the key back to off, waited a few seconds and tried again, got the same result - starter tried to turnover, but almost like a degraded effort if that makes any sense. I will look at the battery ground strap and get the battery checked for voltage - interior lights are strong and all warning lamps still work properly. I guess, then the alternator would be the next thing to check.

Pesty - the oil pressure guage was reading about 2 at idle, then went up when I revved the engine - seemed to be normal to me.

I'll keep you all posted as I go. Just in case I can't get it started, has anyone ever tried towing with a u-haul car trailer? Was just wondering if clearance was an issue trying to get the front wheels up on one of those things.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Put a full charge into the battery . Fill the battery all the way with a good charger . Re try starting the motor .
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 PM
DDotson
Advanced

Smile Back in action!

Got the old battery out today and it was dead as a doornail! After looking at it, I saw the date of manufacture/install was March, 2002. Not bad for a 60 month battery I'd say (it was an Interstate). Anyway, I got a replacement and she cranked right up, much to my relief. Now I just need to make sure the alternator is good to go, but given that the old battery was so old, I'm hoping that was the only thing causing the problem.

Thanks to all for your advice.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Cool .
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Glad it was something simple.

Quick Reply: 964 stopped running after idle to check oil, help!