Sponsored by:

Door Stay Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM
KLVA
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Stay Repair

Hey everybody..got a new driver door stay and found out the old stiff door stay had torn apart the interior metal 'box' that the door stay was mounted on..door had hyper extended at least once and bent the lower corner of the door and had actually put a small outward dent in the door from the inside. Any body done this repair or have a good idea how to get this modified and correct. It only has a few shards of sheet metal left in the door and almost NADA to reattach to. My only thought so far, was to get a shallow, old work, electrical metal box and creater a new mounting surface for the two bolts of the door stay..probably have to shim it like crazy to get the distance right....Any Thoughts !/??...
Old 10-27-2009, 07:40 AM
carby
Instructor

I had a similar flexing check strap issue, big old CLICKS and the component inside the door was pulling away on extension. I found this kit to be a real saviour, nice and thick when it clamps together, as long as you have the remenants to pinch together to locate the pin you should be OK.

There is a good thread somewhere with pictures, search is your friend.

http://www.type911shop.co.uk/shop/ar...6aid%3D2045%26
Old 10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door stays

Pelican also sells this repair kit. Look under body then door stays.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
KLVA
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks

Thanks carby and Arrowhead...I did look into those search functions and a very long session from 2004 about the torn sheet metal..and the crux of the biscuit is that I am gonna have to tig weld or build a new mount box for inside the door...it did confirm for me that the new door stay will need to be opened up and the rubber rollers shaved down a little so it does not have so much pre load in the slider bar...I will try to get some pics of the damage and also the repair and have a beer.....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 AM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My door has the same damage. The bracket inside the door that the stay mounts to is split. Additionally on mine the place where the bracket is welded to the inner door the welds have broken. A previous owner had done a repair here that since failed... I removed the door panel and discovered that a hole had been drilled so that the bracket could be rewelded, but as I stated, this weld is broken.

I installed the "repair kit" and it helps significantly but due to the broken weld I still get movement (and hence a snapping sound).

I also found the door stay detent action was too strong. Instead of taking apart the stay I used a grinder to narrow the strap so it was nicely pre-worn-out when I installed it.

I think it might be easier to find a replacement door than to properly fix this. Now I try not to open the door to the detent when getting in and out to avoid the terrible cracking noises.

I'm installing the repair kit on the passenger door just to avoid this possibly happening in there in the future...
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
KLVA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeffwe
My door has the same damage. The bracket inside the door that the stay mounts to is split. Additionally on mine the place where the bracket is welded to the inner door the welds have broken. A previous owner had done a repair here that since failed... I removed the door panel and discovered that a hole had been drilled so that the bracket could be rewelded, but as I stated, this weld is broken.

I installed the "repair kit" and it helps significantly but due to the broken weld I still get movement (and hence a snapping sound).

I also found the door stay detent action was too strong. Instead of taking apart the stay I used a grinder to narrow the strap so it was nicely pre-worn-out when I installed it.

I think it might be easier to find a replacement door than to properly fix this. Now I try not to open the door to the detent when getting in and out to avoid the terrible cracking noises.

I'm installing the repair kit on the passenger door just to avoid this possibly happening in there in the future...
I just got back into the door last night...used the new door stay and also shaved down the rubber wedges in the door stay device ...slides very easily now ...but the inside of the door is a steamy pile of torn metal and I used a couple of pcs of hard metal to slide down under the remaining shards of mounting areas with a hole in them for the mounting bolts...I was able to swing the extra metal up under the old metal like dog ears and then tighten them...with the much looser slider bar and a semi secure mount position...as long as the wind doesn't catch , it should be OK for now...later I am going to weld a new 'box' as a permanent mount... and I am NOT gonna get a new door.... Now I am gonna make sure the right side door stay is properly lubed up....the search posts from 2004 were very helpful...SEARCH 'Door Stay' Cheers, Kevin...

Quick Reply: Door Stay Repair