Sponsored by:

Reducing Unsprung Weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Good data point, Gasser, and congrats on the improvement.

I was wondering if you could expand. Did the improvement come from improved cornering speeds, acceleration, shorter braking or all of the above? Or was there something else? Also, did you make other mods as you progressed to GT, e.g. slicks, cams, compression, intake, ecu, etc?
Only change between the two events was weight. At first the car handled like crap. Too darty and hard to controll the rear weight bias at first. two sessions and lots of tweaks with the sways and shocks to get the car back to neutral and the times dropped like a rock. I would say all the above but mostly corner speeds and massive brakeing improvement. I could get on the gas MUCH earlier and the car would go where ever I would point it. I could drive around people in corners where they were at the limet and Id just drive inside and hammer the gas and keep going. Just made the car handle awsome. I will be competitive at short tracks but at big ones, the big $$$ motors will eat me up. Little tracks and I can hang with the best of them. Amazing how much horsepower my brakes makes up for. Special indeed... Either way, I enjoy the car much more this way.
As far as progression to GT. Stock race prepped motor and trans by Chris C. for now. Want to learn to drive the new chassis at its limit and use this motor up first. Its 265 RWHP. Good for a stock motor but for gt its basic at best. I have lots of room for improvement but going to keep the car at min weight with great brakes and focus on driving for the next few years. When it comes time to refresh the motor and trans, Ill go to the next level then...
Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun. That would've been my guess: gains in cornering and braking. And acceleration to a lesser extent.

Yeah, you might want to get over to Buckley and see what they can do about the extra hp. Here's some in-car from one of their SC's at Road America this year. My car is the first of the three white 911's leading and I'm not exactly running away from it (amazing). There's also a glimpse of Wally's car blowing by him on the front straight and make sure to catch the end of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0oSbJOBcY4

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
So anyway, the Spec 911 (NOT Tom's class) field gets their trophy weight after qualifying yesterday, and most of the guys have to add 150 lbs. per the rule structure. Guess what happens during the race? Fastest guys are still fastest (Van Overbeck--yes, Johannes' dad, Gamroth--yes, the engine builder, and he had to start sixth because even though he was pole sitter they do a straw draw to potentially invert the top six starters), and the race fastest lap times are near equivalent to qualifying.
Yes, that may be so, but I'm sure that they didn't add the weight on the unsprung part of the car. That's the discussion now. The additional weight would prob be put as close to the centre of the car as possible, I would assume.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Looked like a blast. I need to get up there. Wally is fast, lots of spare time for miles of seat time. Nice save by the driver in the video. I think my car would do well there. I think the headders we are getting and going to test are from Buckley racing. Not sure if they have done a 993 set yet but should be about the same as the 964 version. Curious to see how they do on the dyno compared to the stock 993 headders which are already pretty good. I don't think my heads flow that much different than the 964 ones... Mine are stock minus a little shave job to get the compressiion up to stock leagle. More than anything, the 20 to 30 pounds off the rear will help...

Thanks for posting the video

Jeff

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Sounds like fun. That would've been my guess: gains in cornering and braking. And acceleration to a lesser extent.

Yeah, you might want to get over to Buckley and see what they can do about the extra hp. Here's some in-car from one of their SC's at Road America this year. My car is the first of the three white 911's leading and I'm not exactly running away from it (amazing). There's also a glimpse of Wally's car blowing by him on the front straight and make sure to catch the end of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0oSbJOBcY4

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome, Jeff. Yes, Road America is a "must" and a complete blast.

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Yes, that may be so, but I'm sure that they didn't add the weight on the unsprung part of the car. That's the discussion now.
Sorry if the sprung weight, track references seem off topic but lap times for cars driven at the limit represent one of the few objective measures to evaluate gains derived through weight reduction.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM
ACSGP
Pro

No apologies request for or required Just trying to focus on the unsprung discussion.

Even the 993 suspension uprights would be not be part of unsprung weight, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, in summary:
1. Change rims - simple fix
2. Use light tires - ditto
3. Change one piece rims to 2 piece with AL hat, same size - no simple plug and play solution. In discussion with AP about this though. ( BBKs would add more weight with the larger calipers, so not under consideration unless someone knows definitively that the Brembo 355 kit is lighter in total, for example )
4. Change the wheel carriers - expensive, but possible. 993 GT2 carriers apparently usable. Not sure if other mods needed in this situation, such as caliper mounting brackets.
5. Change suspension components (such as arms and tie-rods) to lighter versions - not sure if available

Lastly, to upgrade to the 993 rear suspension - waiting for ex-Porsche engineer to respond.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Had an interesting conversation with Andy of Flatsix here in Singapore. He said that he's installed a 993 suspension in 3 cars - 2 964s and an early 80s 911.

We'll see where this conversation leads, but I'll leave Andy to elaborate. He was the one who built Roadsleeper's Bumpin Pumpkin.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:47 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
No apologies request for or required Just trying to focus on the unsprung discussion.

Even the 993 suspension uprights would be not be part of unsprung weight, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Do they move up and down with the tired when you hit a bump?

Quick Reply: Reducing Unsprung Weight