Sponsored by:

Oil pressure warning + central warning light

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM
kmskier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure warning + central warning light

I've searched several posts on this but I am not sure they are pointing me in the right direction...

I had the "!" light on for the past 2 days but I thought it was due to pulling a fuse that needed replacing. Just this afternoon, the central warning light and oil pressure light illuminated as I was pulling into my driveway. Oil pressure gauge has been indicating proper function (3-5 bars consistently).

Other posts have suggested a sensor or other electrical issues, but origin of problems in other posts were different. Any thoughts/help appreciated!!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If you clear the "!", does it reilluminate? Do you have access to a hammer or scantool?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:51 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You could do a manual check for fault codes:
  1. With engine off, turn ignition switch to On position.
  2. Depress accelerator pedal completely for 3-5 seconds.
  3. Wait for "Check Engine" lamp to flash, then release accelerator pedal. ECU will begin to flash diagnostic trouble codes.
  4. Fully depress accelerator pedal to display next diagnostic trouble code. When trouble DTC 1000 is displayed, no additional DTC's are stored are memory.
Fault codes (and the above plagiarized instructions) found, here.

A related 'little' thread found, here.

If any codes are thrown, report back what they were.
(It'll help the next guy in your situation when he does a search...)
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
kmskier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it was just a fluke but...

I don't have a hammer so I followed the instructions on the manual method of checking fault codes...nothing happened.

I read the related 'little' post link you provided Lonnie and it was useful in this instance. Apparently, although I have a '91, some of them do not have the ability to read fault codes using the manual method (Adrian's book does offer some additional info on this).

Even though I had tried to clear the "!" previously, it remained lit before. After trying the manual check of fault codes today, I tried to clear the "!" again and it cleared. I have no idea whether the attempt to manually check codes is related to the warning light clearing, but for now I will keep an eye on it and report back if anything new pops up.

Thanks for the help guys!

PS - Any thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile low cost alternative to a hammer? https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=73569

Quick Reply: Oil pressure warning + central warning light