964 Dashboard lights up intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 AM
JohnFeeney
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Dashboard lights up intermittently

Hi,
Can anyone help. Ocassionally my 964 dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. Lights in various dials come on - there is no set pattern. It does not affect the guages or the driveability of the car. The buzzer sometimes comes on as well. If I kill the ignition for a second (even if I am driving along) then switch it back on it clears it - but it may come back on.

Can anyone help

Many Thanks

John
Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi John!

I can start to assist you by moving your thread into the right forum

Welcome to Rennlist!

John
Old 10-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a search on "Christmas Tree" you'll come up with as many threads as you have warning lights!!! It's a common problem that can be as simple as a bad ignition switch or it can be as complicated as bad ignition coils and distributor rotors. Do some reading of the various threads and you'll get plenty of ideas.

Regards

Dave
Old 10-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

At first we recommended to replace plug wires, caps and rotors, etc... and there is a simple test... spray a mist of water over the caps and wires and watch for arcs... best to do at night or in a dark garage to be able to see it clearly... will also hear the snap crackle and snap of the arcs... that will tell you if your cables are bad.

A few still had the issues after replacing plug wires and caps/rotors. That is when we figured out that the main culprit are the coils. Yes, you still have to check the rest and if the plug wires are bad you still need to replace them, but replacing the coils seems to cure the problem.

Quick Reply: 964 Dashboard lights up intermittently