Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak at pump output

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009 | 10:00 PM
90desertcab
Intermediate

Default Fuel leak at pump output

'90 cab ... oh you could tell. Like others' leaks, this started with a hint of fuel in the air some time back. Later I noticed a drip from where I now know to be the fuel pump access panel. I read all the posts I could find re 'fuel leak'; the post by RichieRoo and replies were amazingly helpful. As I was dismantling the system, I could tell immediately the leak was not from the tank area - all dry with no signs of leakage. Likewise the pump input from the tank. 'got the tank out line pinched off (leaked a little, put my smoke out), removed the wires to the pump (chanting mantra 'brown is back, brown is back) an immediately noticed the line assemblage attached to the pump moved quite freely in relation to the pump body. I did not see any sign of leakage around the swaged (proper term?) brass fitting on the output line.

For an illustration see E_964_KATALOG.pdf page 105/568 part #'s 12 (line), 22, and 37 nicely available to all via Pelican's website.

Of course this is not right. I'm wondering if this just came loose somehow, and if so can I just tighten it and pressurize to check for continued leakage? If so is the a procedure for proper tightening? Could the fuel pump have failed somehow?

Looking forward to all responses, thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2009 | 07:08 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

This is a "banjo fitting" Mine came loose, with the same symptoms. There is a washer that gets compressed to make the seal. Tighten it up securely, start the car and make sure the leak has stopped before closing it up. It's possible that you may need a new washer, mine did not.
Old 10-07-2009 | 06:10 PM
Boeing 717

Yea i have the same issue at my rear fuel pump. I forgot to change the washer and now there is a fuel odor and i have to tighten it every couple of weeks it doesnt really drip but gets moist around the banjo fitting.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak at pump output