Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And we think our cars prices are depressed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:09 PM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You make wonderful points and I fully understand them! What I don't understand is if someone post a thread asking / seeking opinions and someone with another vinatage gives there thoughts on the car that may differ from yours - what would give you or anyone the right to name call "troll" or maybe someone has a Literacy issues and isn't the best speller but to be so bold and to blast someone for that? - That to me seems more child-ish than someone being mad that someone else claimed there car is better or faster. that's plain silly!

It would be like me saying your fat or ulgy - maybe its true maybe it isn't, But it has nothing to do with your valid points on my car if you could support them with reason and proof. Even if you supported your points we could still disagree tastefully - doesn't that make better sense?

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Why go into somebody else's house and point out all the ways their cars suck? Would it make for a good thread if those guys came over and pointed out all the deficiencies in 964's? It's just bad behavior IMO.

I had a guy on another car forum, who has supposedly owned several Porsche's in his life, tell me that 964's were "the most unloved of all 911's" - and then proceeded to tick off all the reasons that we've all heard a million times. I just ignored his comments and moved on, because everyone on that forum knows he's a dick and he just proved it again. As soon as you start the "my car model is better, yours is worse" thing, you lose credibility in my book. And so, did what he said diminish my enjoyment of driving my car the next day? Hell No.

I still think 996 prices are largely just a function of supply-and-demand. I'd be willing to bet most people who buy them have never heard of Rennlist, or Pelican, or know what "RMS" means or that there is a higher-than-average chance they may have engine trouble. They simply always wanted a "Porch", and now they can buy a "Porch" for about the same price as a Hyundai. And there are plenty to choose from.

And yes, being able to express yourself coherently DOES matter.
Grammatically butchered posts are like fingernails on a blackboard.
I'm a lot less likely to give any value to a post when I have a really hard time trying to decipher what's being said in the first place.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He is referring to wellcraft's behavior on another thread.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
He is referring to wellcraft's behavior on another thread.
Yes, I should have specified that - and the fact that this thread seemed like it was turning into basically of rehash of that one.

As for the 996, I personally wouldn't be afraid to own one. Every model has its strong points and weak points.
I'll be curious about this: I wonder statistically about the failure rate of 996's? You usually only hear the bad stories. Factored against the large number that were made, I have to wonder if the incidence rate would look that bad.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM
shockm
Racer

Duck blind? Shipping container?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess I have to defend myself. If you actually read the thread you will see I merely stated my opinion in teh beginning and did not say they sucked or anything of the sort.

They started on the attack saying I was a kid and troll etc. Then they started saying I can't spell or type. Honestly I agree with them. Writing is not my strong suite.

This is my exact post
"I find thsi very funny talk about why the 996 is so cheap. Well is is due to the percieved isssues of the RMS etc and then on top of that the 996 is really a boring looking car in the base form. Plus there prices are down because noone wants them for these reasons. Ask anyone and if they tell you they are dying for a 996 [unch him.

the 993 and 964 are just as fast have a/c, heat and all the other features. Ok no memory seats.
when you drive your 996 does anyone even look at the car? I know in my 964 I get looks thumb ups people screaming that they love my car. That is why my value is higher"

Harsh I don't think so blunt maybe. But if you read the first 4 pages of this post pretty much everything I said was said already. I guess I was just the scapegoat!! I guess they took it as they penises are small. Well I still stand by my points and if you don't like it move on, but yell at everyone just not me.

Ok here is other people said

Perryinva
"I love my 996, but I'd never say it was better looking than a 993 or 964."

ivangene
"hogwash - those $17k cars are super plain jane lease returns or something and they seem to be setting the "standard"" This is almost exactly what I said the "plain Jane"

drjupeman
"Now, I do believe there IS a significant difference in quality between the 993 and earlier cars and the 996 and later "consumer" Porsches (not GT3, Turbo, etc). This is more because of materials and design, not hand vs. machine. I think the Boxsters and 996's introduced the age of "consumer" Porsches which were built more on par with a BMW (if not a bit cheaper material than a BMW). Porsche didn't become the world's most profitable auto manufacturer magically... "

Ouch nice way of saying made cheaper

r_liebo
"2) engine failure issues drive price down"

So after I was called a troll, a baby, some worse words I posted this

"ok I did say base 996 is kind of boring. Not bashing your cars but I think you can all admit there has been quite a few problems known on these cars. Also for performance the reports say 0-60 5 sec the 964 is 5.2 seconds and actually in testing did mid to high 4 seconds on all of them. So to say the 996 is faster. You will be surprised to know it isn't. Top speed maybe but who does that.

I am not bashing your cars but you asked why the vales so low and just giving my honest opinion. I would buy a c4s 996 or turbo but not a plain c2.

Funny thing here is I don't feel I was bashing your cars like some others put down the 993 and 964 regarding performance etc and a/c and heat.

Do all these cars have quirks yes, but if the 996 is such a great car why do they sell around teh same prices as a 20 yr old car? I was looking at a 996, but everytime I called on one the dealer or mechanic said don't buy a 99 or 00 996. why is that?

Best of luck to all of you but it is my opinion and yes I love the look of some of your cars with the wings and c4s etc just not the reg plain jane 996. for that you can shoot me "

I think pretty nice for 2 pages of insults merely saying what was said before. Then the 996 guys just went further and further on their insults. I was questioned in my numbers for speed and posted videos from MOTORWEEK proving my statements.

Well I just could not win with a bunch oof 996 guys that will never believe anything but their cars are great and the fastest porsches around.

I still wish them luck and still hold my opinion!

Sorry if this post is poorly written but hard to keep a point going when the box you write in is only 2 inches so you only see the last few sentences.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
shockm
Racer

Dude, you don't have to defend yourself, this is just a website. You're entitled to your own opinion. Some people feel the need to constantly flex their " internet muscles". Oh, and 996's SUCK! In my humble opinion, of course.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Shockm thank you for you opinion. I guess I am just tired of taking the sh$t of those 996 guys.
Just don't say that in the 996 forum.

Also d.kesler what behavior was that? My opinion? the 996 guys started the name calling and childish behavior. You really should read thru the thread again and you will see.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
shockm
Racer

They don't scare me, besides, their cars are too slow to catch me!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

My dad's tougher than your dad. My mom is better than your mom.....
Old 10-03-2009, 11:57 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

geez I knew I bought a 964 for a reason. the 964 guys are so much nicer and not so ego driven!!

I guess we are just full of more AIR!!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the original thread, I have been seeing some unbelievable deals on "premium" brands... My top two recent examples, both in mint condition:

1) MB of Nashville - 2007 MB 550SL in silver with maroon interior, 30K on the odometer: $47K
2) Ferrari of Scottsdale (from memory) - 2003 Ferrari 360 Spyder in red with tan, 11K on the odometer: $85K

I can't believe the low prices that I am seeing on the DuPoint Registry and Hemmings websites... It is crazy...

(Enjoy your 964s. I love mine, and hope to add a 94 Turbo and 93 RSA to the stable later in life... Oh, and a 92 US Cup as well!)

-Blake
Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Oracle
Pro

Friends don't let friends buy a 996... You're with the right crowd
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oracle
Friends don't let friends buy a 996... You're with the right crowd
Ah, I was considering one for a daily, but then I found that my BMW was a better daily and my 964 was a better Porsche.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:53 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Opinions are fine and it's what makes discussions happen, but I am curious, have any of you guys owned or driven a 996? Or raced one? They are great cars - a 996 makes a 964 seem old, just like my first 964 made my 65 911 seem old. These discussions arise often; anyone choosing an impractical sports car based on its investment abilities (especially and old Porsche) is probably in the wrong market! And at this time in this country, prices on most things are depressed, but that's not news.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by garrett376
Opinions are fine and it's what makes discussions happen, but I am curious, have any of you guys owned or driven a 996? Or raced one? They are great cars - a 996 makes a 964 seem old, just like my first 964 made my 65 911 seem old. These discussions arise often; anyone choosing an impractical sports car based on its investment abilities (especially and old Porsche) is probably in the wrong market! And at this time in this country, prices on most things are depressed, but that's not news.
Driven enough of them, never raced them. I'm sure they are faster and they are good cars. But they just feel like a normal car...and it does make the 964 feel old....when it comes to Porsche, that's not a bad thing.

Quick Reply: And we think our cars prices are depressed...