Sponsored by:

Happy Friday!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Happy Friday!!!!

Well, it's friday. Not too much Porsche stuff this week- in fact none. Got a big motorcycle stunt thing tomorrow if the rain holds off. I'd like to take the Porsche, but my wife won't drive it. I'll be photographing the event, so we're taking the envoy instead.

Not sure what else may come up for Sunday. Maybe a drive out in the county roads...
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Don't expect to do much Porsche stuff either. My mom and brother are in town and my time will be spent with them. It looks to be rainy on Saturday but perhaps we'll do some mountain driving on Sunday to do leaf peeping.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking the oil return pipe to the oil 'catch tank' off and having a flexi hose made up as my 'hybid 964-993 one is leaking giving rise to memories past of 964 oil leaks from the engine....can't have that can we!

Might take the 'tt' for a blast to clear the cobwebs, then (if the pipe is repaired in time) take the 964 out to put the smile well and truly on my face :-)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Sadly, at least some of my weekend will be checking where exactly my coolant appears to be disappearing from. These new fangled water cooled cars are just too complicated...... Most likely suspect is one of the radiators of course.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its another beautiful day in Florida ! i drove the cab top down for the 3rd time this week to work. I am heading out in a few minurtes to start the weekend off with a trip to the Harbor Freight sidewalk sale to pick up a couple tools to take up to my beach house in Virginia next week. I have to finish painting doors and put in baseboards to finish up my summerlong remodeling/updating project on the house. Hopefully the fall stripe bass run has started in the bay so i can try to catch one of the big ones
Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Dave, you could ship that water pumper to me and I'll sort it out for you
Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
Sadly, at least some of my weekend will be checking where exactly my coolant appears to be disappearing from. These new fangled water cooled cars are just too complicated...... Most likely suspect is one of the radiators of course.
first thing to do is check your radiator cap. They are prone to leak. Look to see if there is any residue around it. Next check the overflow tank. I had to replace my cap once and they have a updated part number for it.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
Yep, had both of mine changed on the boxster. The 996 and boxster are also well known to have problems with the coolant tanks cracking. Best of luck with tracking it down.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Thanks - I'll check the overflow tank, although I've not noticed anything when I've topped it up a few times.
Dealer told me to "smell" around the wheel arches at the front when it's up to operating temp - if it's leaking from the rads, I should be able to smell it. But it doesn't matter too much if I can't find the source - dealer is actually going to fix it FOC anyway - but would be nice to know where the problem is.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably no P-car fun this weekend. I have been working on the Packard for the past few weeks, preparing it for use in my son's wedding later this month. It runs and drives, but need the wiring hooked up for lights, brakes sorted out, and engine timing/adjustments/etc. Really a steep learning curve on this car. And of course, it is like the intimidation from the Porsche - lots of parts made with Unobtainium. I need a stop light switch - found one, he would let me have it for two-fifty, and that was not $2.50. It is fun working on the car, though. But the stress level (from the Mother of the Groom) may get intense as we approach The Day. The car has mechanical brakes, operated by a complicated system of levers/shafts/links/cables, and a vacuum assist booster. I finally have enough space to work in my big garage on the car. 30'x40',epoxy floor, 12' ceiling, but no lights yet. So I work at night with a headlamp. I actually really like it - I highly recommend getting one for working under cars.

Still waiting for reviews on The Informant! don't hold back,
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

no P-car action this weekend, but I get action every day - The C4 is my daily driver, so I get 60-75 minutes of daily therapy.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:15 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a slight wiring problem in my park lamps. I installed the H4 conversion, but wired the "Paris" lamps to go on with the parking lamps. (Looks super cool - in avatar at left...) I think that's causing too much draw on that circuit, so I might need to do something else. I did relays for the mains, so I might add another for those lamps.. Good project for a gray weekend.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWS964
Probably no P-car fun this weekend. I have been working on the Packard for the past few weeks, preparing it for use in my son's wedding later this month. It runs and drives, but need the wiring hooked up for lights, brakes sorted out, and engine timing/adjustments/etc. Really a steep learning curve on this car. And of course, it is like the intimidation from the Porsche - lots of parts made with Unobtainium. I need a stop light switch - found one, he would let me have it for two-fifty, and that was not $2.50. It is fun working on the car, though. But the stress level (from the Mother of the Groom) may get intense as we approach The Day. The car has mechanical brakes, operated by a complicated system of levers/shafts/links/cables, and a vacuum assist booster. I finally have enough space to work in my big garage on the car. 30'x40',epoxy floor, 12' ceiling, but no lights yet. So I work at night with a headlamp. I actually really like it - I highly recommend getting one for working under cars.

Still waiting for reviews on The Informant! don't hold back,
Cool gangsta car! Got any pictures of the motor and interior?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
Cool gangsta car! Got any pictures of the motor and interior?
I'm thinkin', Jim, that you'd find in a... hmmm... ('34?) limo, a "Packard green"-painted 12.
Or, at least a straight 8. Tres cool, regardless.

Any way you cut it, "ask the man who owns one."
Old 10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
I'm thinkin', Jim, that you'd find in a... hmmm... ('34?) limo, a "Packard green"-painted 12.
Or, at least a straight 8. Tres cool, regardless.

Any way you cut it, "ask the man who owns one."
I am going to be up your way next weekend at my cottage on Gwynns Island. You Should take a a drive with the GF up to the island

Quick Reply: Happy Friday!!!!