Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting up after 10 months of sitting...

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 AM
nazara
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting up after 10 months of sitting...

Hi,

Car (1992 tiptronic) has been sitting for 10 months (5th year medical students in Europe have no rights and no free time)...I am thinking of starting it up, and drive 250 km (to another city, where I can have it serviced)...Will this be ok?? or is not recommend to drive such a long distance with a car that has been sitting for 10 months?? please share your thoughts about this...anything special I should consider?? How can I make this startup as easy as possible??

By the way...drove from Hungary to Norway and back 2 years ago which was just an amazing trip

Attached some pictures of the car (hope they show up)....
Attached Images    
Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

well what did you do to store it? Fuel stabilizer?
If you did nothing I would drain the fuel and refuel. change the oil and charge the battery.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM
nazara
7th Gear

Thank you for the response...

The tank is 3/5 full...did not add any fuel stabilizer (the car sitting such a long time was not part of the plan)....why the draining of fuel?? (sorry if it is a stupid question)
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

fuel goes bad and will tarnish up. And in the states there is ethanol that is reall bad and breaks down things in the fuel and fuel lines. With the tank so full I am not sure if you add new fuel will it offset the old fuel.

if you don't have ethanol in yoru fuel then I would fill it up with fresh gas and let her rip. You might need to change the fuel filter after short time.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
timatt
Intermediate

Default Just go for it

If it were me, I would just start it up and run it at idle for a few minutes before driving it. I have several cars, including my '89 C4 that I store indoors during the salt months here in the US midwest. Most years these cars will not be started or driven for 7 months. I have never added fuel stabilizer prior to storage and I have never experienced a problem starting (providing the battery is charged) or running them. I've been doing this for 18 years.

If you are really worried, you might disconnect the ECU to prevent the car from starting, then crank the car until you get oil pressure. Reconnect the ECU, start the car and let it idle before driving. This will lube everything up inside the engine and help prevent excessive wear on startup.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM
timatt
Intermediate

Default Just go for it

If it were me, I would just start it up and run it at idle for a few minutes before driving it. I have several cars, including my '89 C4 that I store indoors during the salt months here in the US midwest. Most years these cars will not be started or driven for 7 months. I have never added fuel stabilizer prior to storage and I have never experienced a problem starting (providing the battery is charged) or running them. I've been doing this for 18 years.

If you are really worried, you might disconnect the ECU to prevent the car from starting, then crank the car until you get oil pressure. Reconnect the ECU, start the car and let it idle before driving. This will lube everything up inside the engine and help prevent excessive wear on startup.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As said above, start, let idle for a bit, drive. I've left RSA #2 in the backyard untouched for up to a year. Just connect the battery and fire it up. But I'd get on the road, burn some gas off, and put a fresh tank of fuel in as reasonably quick as possible.

I'll throw some water on the need for priming an engine by cranking with the ignition disabled. The amount of oil a 911 engine pumps RIGHT NOW to its extremes is staggering. And yes I know this from personal experience with some of my first engines I built in the early '80's. Unbelievable how fast it gets to the cam spray bars.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I am thinking of starting it up, and drive 250 km (to another city, where I can have it serviced)...Will this be ok??"
I would try to start it up . If it does run , then I would drive it around for maybe a week before heading off on a 250 km trip .
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's it in your first pic after sitting for 10 months.....I would also wash it!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

What is a medical student doing with a 911
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Start it up if it runs OK and doesn't ping drive it the 250kms like your mad at the road!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
nazara
7th Gear

Thank you all for the response....I guess a person listens to what he wants to hear...so gonna go with Race911 and Timatt's advice on this...may she fire up the first time...

Boxsey911: That is a picture after a rainy day drive over to Croatia and back..The car has been sitting in a heated garage the last 10 months...but a wash is on the top of the list as soon as she gets out of the garage..

RSman: Used to work in Greenock actually, or as they called it...the arm pitch of Scotland...saved some money and made a small dream come true when I got the chance

Darth: Roger that...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 996TT sat for over 18 months...long story, don't ask.....here is my advice:

Pull the DME relay/fuel pump fuse...anything to prevent fuel from getting into the cylinders.

Crank the engine and wait for full oil pressure to build up, release starter and wait a minute or two.
Crank the engine again waiting for full oil pressure to build up.

Replace the DME relay/fuse, etc...

Crank the engine (it should start immediately).

Verify that there are no leaks, unusual noises, smoke, etc.
As soon as you have done this, drive away slowly, allowing the engine to warm up while you drive.
Once the engine is fully warmed up (15 minutes or so), return home and again check for leaks.

Perform an oil change ASAP, since there is likely water mixed in with the oil
Drain (or simply drive off the fuel in the tank), put in 2 bottles of Techron and refill the tank wtih fresh gas.

Enjoy the car...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nazara
Thank you all for the response....I guess a person listens to what he wants to hear...so gonna go with Race911 and Timatt's advice on this...may she fire up the first time...

Boxsey911: That is a picture after a rainy day drive over to Croatia and back..The car has been sitting in a heated garage the last 10 months...but a wash is on the top of the list as soon as she gets out of the garage..

RSman: Used to work in Greenock actually, or as they called it...the arm pitch of Scotland...saved some money and made a small dream come true when I got the chance

Darth: Roger that...
Good for you! You worked before becoming a medic? That's even more impressive.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the battery been on a charger in the last 10 months ?
If not , find yourself a new battery asap .
10 months uncharged will kill a normal battery .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting up after 10 months of sitting...