Sponsored by:

Windshield Rust Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:21 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Rust Repair

I have rust around the windshield like many others.

Another photo of the windshield rust.

Also have it around the rear window.

I talked to a repair shop owner. He wants just under $3,000 which would include a new windshield ($651), stripping down the paint around the bottom of the windshield, stripping the roof down to metal, stripping around the bottom of the rear window, new seals for the windshield ($190), sunroof ($18) and the rear window ($257), and obviously repairing the rusted sections.

I also asked him how much to strip/repaint the hood and repaint the mirrors. $650 for the hood and $300 for the mirrors (said they take a while to take off?).

Does this sound reasonable?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:36 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't checked any of these, but those prices for the glass seals look very high, for starters.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,840 Likes on 2,868 Posts

i need this done to my car on the front windshield just buy the mirror...there 2 very smaqll rust bubbles at the seal edge and when the auto body guy checked under the seal, he said the metal was fine and not tusted thru...

he will do the front windshield repair for $650 plus the cost of removing and replacing the windshield and a new OEM seal which is $150 removed and replaced with seal....total cost $800

the auto body guy is excellent and knows how to blend in the area so that it matches perfectly.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a lot of money.
I can get a panel painted for £100! So $600+ for the bonnet, thats expensive IMO.
Why do you need new glass? If its not damaged it can be removed and re-fitted.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Glass has a chip or two and one small crack/dent (was filled)
Old 09-26-2009, 07:37 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Yeah wow, windshield seal is $58 and rear window seal is $106 on pelican.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 PM
jneteler
Racer

Why does the roof need to be stripped down to bare metal?

Do you have a particularly hard color to match?

I had some rust removed around the rear window and there was no need to repaint anything other than the metal around the glass on one side. My car is black.

JNeteler
Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Mine is black as well.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,840 Likes on 2,868 Posts

silver has to be blended properly and only good painters can do this...my car is silver and metalics are harder to blend than black or red...

the rust in the photo of your windshield looks alot more aggressive than my small rust spot so yours may need the new metal which is a $2-$3000 job just for the front windshield repair when the metal has to be replaced.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

What is the condition of the rest of the car? How much rust is there in other places? How strongly do you feel about esthetics? What are your financial resources? If you bought the car cheap, do you really want to put in a lot of money you might never recover?

$3000 is way too cheap for a quality repair, and way too expensive for a cheapo. What paint system does the shop propose to follow? Most paint shops ad-lib and cut corners. That is why cheap re-spray jobs never last as long as the original factory paint. By "cheap" I do not mean inexpensive. I have seen paint shops charge plenty for cheap work. They know customers pay happily as long as the top coat is pretty. Shops that do the prep work properly charge accordingly, but the car owner knows the value.

It might be time to look at the value equation and make some tough decisions. Is it time for a fully-body strip, rust proofing, and respray by a shop that does investment-grade work? In that case you are talking in the neighborhood of $10 K . If the value of the car does not support that level of investment, you can attack the rust spots by lifting the rubber to remove the rust, and recoating with rusty metal primer and top coat. That will let you enjoy the car for a few more years. The downside will be esthetics. The repair will be cheap, but will look cheap as well.

This is a call only you can make, but $3000 is serious money, and you need to assure yourself that the repair will last.

Last edited by springer3; 10-15-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: removed repeat sentence
Old 09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My rusty window cowl was left untreated far too long and it ended up eating its way all the way through. After the windshield removal and cowl repair the paint was blended to match the hood, fender and front bumper. It looked so amazing when I stopped in to see it that I had them refinish the rest of the car. A full re-spray done the right way is expensive. I had all the glass removed (font windshield replaced) and I replaced every single piece of rubber trim as well.

I agree with Springer3, if you can afford it - get it done right. I'm adding a link of some re-spray pics however I don't have any pics of the metal work done to repair the cowl. My guy gave me the rusted piece that was cut out and removed, I know the job was done right - no filler.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chesloff...eat=directlink
Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rust

hello, i think 3000 for the repair is more than plenty. most important is to find the correct shop to do the worrk.

look for a shop that works on high end cars , especially one that deals with porsches.

look for a shop that uses Glasurit Paint as this is the paint that the factory used on your car.

I have worked in the body shop enviroment as a painter and bodyman and i think stripping the entire roof of paint is not needed or required. seeing your car is black all they need to paint and blend in the areas will be the roof pilliars for the rear window as long as your rust is at the lower part of the rear window, there should be no need to even paint on the rear decklid.

as far as the front windshied they should only need to paint the lower front area only staying off the fenders and hood and use the front roof pilliars to do the blend.

again the price seems ok . but its the shop that you need to make a wise choice of.

if you find a shop that uses Glasurit paint more that likey they will have there own paint mixing set up, meaning they can mix the paint on site ( at the body shop and tint as necessary to match. I have seen a shop that carries this paint and usally that how its set up. remember black paint also need to be tinted or adjusted for a good match there are various shades of black. if they keep the repair on both end toward the lower parts of each glass they can use the roof pillars that are narrow to blend it in and you will never see it.

let the body shop know what you have in mind or as i suggested and ask how they will do it so you know what to expect. again i would not strip the roof if not needed, you car is galvanized so you do not want to strip paint mechanically but chemically if you have too. again i done this work before and its not that big of a deal.

if it was my car and not your daily car let the paint cure a few days before they install the glass so it can cure.

go to a porsche dealer that has its own body shop if you can,even if you have to drive a ways to get to it, iam sure they will give you a rental car, or go to a place that sells car paint and ask for a good body shop.

if the body shop has typical cars in it, chevy, kia, ford, and its dirty stay away. actually run away fast.

when i lived in san francisco i found a body shop that mixed their own paint (Glasurit Paint) onsite, had porsche ,mercedes and bmw and the place was spotless, no cars sitting around with sanding dust gathering on the outside or inside of the cars. all the german car manufactures us Glasurit paint.

take your time and i am sure you will find the right place. if done right you going to be happy.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

"My rusty window cowl was left untreated far too long and it ended up eating its way all the way through. After the windshield removal and cowl repair the paint was blended to match the hood, fender and front bumper. It looked so amazing when I stopped in to see it that I had them refinish the rest of the car. A full re-spray done the right way is expensive. I had all the glass removed (font windshield replaced) and I replaced every single piece of rubber trim as well."

Looks like the results speak for themselves. What's the ball park figure for those of us in a similar situation?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh, forgot to introduce myself, Long Time Lurker and fan of the site. Thanks guys.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I ended up spending between 7 & 8K. This also included a new windshield, all new rubber trim, new sunroof felt and a new alarm module as the old one was destroyed from water leaking in from the rust spot in the window cowl. I was willing to spend this much because I knew I was going to have the car for a long time and mechanically the car was in tip top shape.

Quick Reply: Windshield Rust Repair