Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet more supercharger questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I like my TPC car. Fun to have a bit more low end.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
... a supercharger's source of air is cold dense air directly from (cold air) intake. a turbo's source is exceedingly hot exhaust gas (and mixed with air from cai).
therefore most supercharger designs (roots type may be the exception) in the act of compressing air create less heat (particularly the twin screw/modified twin screw designs).
It sounds like you're saying that turbos mix exhaust gas with intake air, causing the boosted air to be hotter. I hope not, because that would be dead wrong. Just to clarify...there's no mixing. Turbos take in cold air exactly like superchargers. Yes, exactly the same.

Turbos are generally much more efficient at boosting air pressure by design. So a roots-type s/c will run around 50% efficiency and a turbo around 70%. (see Corky's book). So the compression process is more efficient in turbos. However, the body of the turbo can get warm due to exhaust gases nearby, but how much of the exhaust heat transfers thru the case and into the clean side's air? Better find a turbo expert to answer that one. Or grab onto your turbo's cold side and see if it's hot. Please report the findings!

In the end, both cause heating of the air, and both need intercooling for sporty / track driving. Lotus doesn't intercool their supercharged Elise, and guess what... they heat soak at the track.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I don't know which system is better, hotter, colder,etc, I am not sure that in the end it really matters as long as the driver has a huge smile and gets what they want out of there car. I can only tell you all that my C4 with a Protomotive turbo system is an amazing car to drive year round and if SC cars as much fun, than thats great for those owners and they are blessed as well. If you are thinking about a 996 and like the drive as much as the 964 than why not. I am asked often, why not by a 965 rather than turbo a 964 and the answer is the same for a SC 964. No 964 C4. Why not buy a newer 911. What and not drive a really fast 964. there is nothing better, ok not much better. People also ask what its like driving one of our cars. I can relate it to a great pair of skis, Fast, responsive and faster yet out of the turns and it will do anything I ask. ok, so the turbo gets hot, so what. I have now driven the car with the turbo over 50,000 miles, just finished a 4,500 trip from Colorado to N.Y to N.C and back with no issues except for the 993,996 and 997 that were pissed that they couldn't keep up when they thought they should. Now thats fun
Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 AM
stahwille
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super carge

I can only speak from 30 years Porsche service , Personally i'd pony up for a porsche twin turbo. I'ts a buyers market, and when its all done you own a Porsche with serial # , brakes, and Porsche design power unit . (just in case you ever sell ) Good luck Stahwille
Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by psiegel
Ok, I don't know which system is better, hotter, colder,etc, I am not sure that in the end it really matters as long as the driver has a huge smile and gets what they want out of there car. I can only tell you all that my C4 with a Protomotive turbo system is an amazing car to drive year round and if SC cars as much fun, than thats great for those owners and they are blessed as well. If you are thinking about a 996 and like the drive as much as the 964 than why not. I am asked often, why not by a 965 rather than turbo a 964 and the answer is the same for a SC 964. No 964 C4. Why not buy a newer 911. What and not drive a really fast 964. there is nothing better, ok not much better. People also ask what its like driving one of our cars. I can relate it to a great pair of skis, Fast, responsive and faster yet out of the turns and it will do anything I ask. ok, so the turbo gets hot, so what. I have now driven the car with the turbo over 50,000 miles, just finished a 4,500 trip from Colorado to N.Y to N.C and back with no issues except for the 993,996 and 997 that were pissed that they couldn't keep up when they thought they should. Now thats fun
Hi Peter,

You're out of the mainstream of our, now quiet, forum experts. Your car is a fluke. :-)

Sounds like a great trip!

Best,
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
jim_l
Instructor

I thought i read you needed to lower the compression before install a turbo.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

not on a stage one you don't need to lower compression only on a high boost. with low boost stock engine and no intercooler you can get 400 hp very safely.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Just clicked this thread again and saw that my name is part of the tags at the bottom of the page. I must be famous
Old 10-30-2009, 08:55 AM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by ilko
Just clicked this thread again and saw that my name is part of the tags at the bottom of the page. I must be famous
You made it to the big times now!

Quick Reply: Yet more supercharger questions...