Sponsored by:

Help me solve this electric prob. Cuz my Mech can't

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
dan79brooklyn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help me solve this electric prob. Cuz my Mech can't

After sustaining some mild damage to the car due to hitting something in the road, I had some bodywork done.
After picking up the car the interior lights are not working properly.
They are no longer triggered by the door opening and locking, they only come on manually and now my battery is also draining.
I tell this to the mechanic and we agree this is either due to the accident or something they might have disturbed during the bodywork (work was done in the front trunk and passenger rear fender). I now have been to the mechanic twice to fix this problem, the first time they thought it was the door plungers getting wet and needing to be cleaned, but this did not solve the problem.
I then left the car for several days and they apparently spent a lot of time on it and claimed it was fixed and the problem was due to a bad relay, but when I went to pick up the car, I flicked on the interior light switch and the fuse immediately blew, so they have actually made it worse!
I'm getting frustrated and hoping one of you might have some experience and suggestions that would lead to solving this irritating issue.

Many Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could there have been a wire that got damaged in the accident? The lights come on when the door switch completes a ground circuit. If the wire to the switch is abraded or has some issue, it might also explain the power drain...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Also might explain the blown fuse if the wire is exsposed it might of hit metal and caused the fuse to blow. Can you pull out the door plunger and just run a loop from the fuse to the door plunger and see what this does. If you can make a complete circuit with new wire and it works correctly then you know it is wire somewhere inside the car not the plunger.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Solitude
Racer

Make sure your glove compartment lite is not on. It happened to me.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
dan79brooklyn
Advanced

I dropped by the shop today. After a couple of false fixes and more blown fuses the tech eventually found the culprit...It was the engine compartment light wiring that was making contact with the body and shorting out. It appears that everything is working well now.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

great news Dan. Thought it had to be an exposed wire.

Quick Reply: Help me solve this electric prob. Cuz my Mech can't