Sponsored by:

From GT3RS to RS America

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

Good move. I like you taste. I am the original owner of an RSA and have been in love with it for 17+ years. I think you will like it more and more over time.........

Interesting that you went from a GT3 RS to the RSA. As was posted above - tell us about the differences.......

Flagg
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Second Childhood
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After taking the RSA to a PCA DE a few weeks ago, I had to get used to the manual steering and the bump steer due to a lowered suspension. The RSA is smaller, lighter and communicates a great deal more what is going on. The RSA runs at about 300 hp at the crank versus 415 hp is the GT3RS. The GT3RS seemed more at home at Eagles Canyon, which has great straightaways and not overly technical corners versus Motorsports Ranch, a much more technical course. They are two very different cars. I enjoy the ability to fiddle with the RSA and figure things out.
Buckley Racing replaced the suspension with monoballs and metal bushings, motons as well as a Guard GT LSD. Also new RS sway bars, springs, etc. I have replaced the stock steering wheel with a Porsche Motorsport wheel that brings the wheel closer yet is not the much smaller than stock (to preserve the leverage with the manual steering). I have replace the Autothority MAS with a Vitesse racing unit that includes a new chip board that also deals with the RS flywheel. I am in process of replacing the existing single beam HID kit with a hi-lo HID kit from Xenon experts. I am toying with upgrading the stock carpet as well.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:07 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Childhood
After taking the RSA to a PCA DE a few weeks ago, I had to get used to the manual steering and the bump steer due to a lowered suspension. The RSA is smaller, lighter and communicates a great deal more what is going on. The RSA runs at about 300 hp at the crank versus 415 hp is the GT3RS. The GT3RS seemed more at home at Eagles Canyon, which has great straightaways and not overly technical corners versus Motorsports Ranch, a much more technical course. They are two very different cars. I enjoy the ability to fiddle with the RSA and figure things out.
Buckley Racing replaced the suspension with monoballs and metal bushings, motons as well as a Guard GT LSD. Also new RS sway bars, springs, etc. I have replaced the stock steering wheel with a Porsche Motorsport wheel that brings the wheel closer yet is not the much smaller than stock (to preserve the leverage with the manual steering). I have replace the Autothority MAS with a Vitesse racing unit that includes a new chip board that also deals with the RS flywheel. I am in process of replacing the existing single beam HID kit with a hi-lo HID kit from Xenon experts. I am toying with upgrading the stock carpet as well.
So to sum up, you like the RS America more than the GTRS b/c it's lighter, and you have to really drive the RS vs the GT3RS? I'd considered the RSA first, but have been swayed toward the GT3. At 3040 lbs curb, the GT3 is no lightweight, but the RS America is about that weight also isn't it?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep............you would not buy the RSA for weight reasons alone. My RSA is around 2950......but that weigh difference is not substantial compared to the GT3's power.

I love my RSA - on the track, at the autocross, on the road. I have never driven a new GT3 - so it is not fair for me to give a comparison......

Flagg
Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Second Childhood
Congrats on your RSA - that's a great looking car in your avatar!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some 993 Evo uprights in there and it will improve the bump steer a tremendous amount. Expensive, but $$ well spent.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug,

This is interesting. I've been following the ownership trail of your car for years. I'm actually the original owner of that car from 1993 to 1995. Bought it at Pioneer Centres in San Diego. Traded it back to Pioneer with 5k miles for a 1995 993 C2. Still miss it and should have kept it. Congratulations on your acquisition and good luck.

Quick Reply: From GT3RS to RS America