Rattle-free clutch upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Rattle-free clutch upgrade?

Hi folks,
I've searched through a ton of threads and the only clutch upgrade I can find reference to is the RS / light weight flywheel. With the associated coffee grinder / gearbox rattle / stalling issues that I would like to avoid (Wevo motor mounts have me at my interior noise limit).

The clutch on my '91 C4 doesn't feel like it clamps down very tightly during 'spirited' gear changes. It doesn't slip while in gear, but it doesn't feel like it bites down very hard during clutch actuation. Pedal effort doesn't feel outrageous to me, but it is more than feather-light as I've heard new stock clutches described as.

With a forced induction upgrade on my mind, and as the clutch is probably approaching 50k miles, I'm searching out alternatives.

I haven't really even seen any mention of whether the RS provides more clamping force or not, but that is what I'm after. I have read that '92+ models came with a pressure plate that has increased clamping pressure over the earlier models. And I've read that the turbo/gt2 pressure plate adds too much pedal pressure and can be a bear to drive. I've also seen mention that the pedal helper spring can be adjusted (maybe even to cope with such extra pedal effort).

What sort of options are there if I want to keep the DMF and a manageable amount of pedal effort? Perhaps just upgrade the disk material?

Cheers,
nick
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a Cup clutch, GT3 pressure plate, and RS LWF and have zero noise. I do have issues with RPMs dropping but for the most part I've learned to just blip the throttle when releasing the clutch and that saves it. I've been thinking of getting a chip that supposedly solves the issue, but I've never gotten around to it.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a LWF and no noises and no stalling issues. Have a chip to counteract that. You will need a chip for a LWF, but not an expenisve upgrade and I have not driven the car without it but heard it does make it feel better.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the RS lwf in mine, no gearbox noise, no stalling issues. I did install the Steve Wong chip (no affiliation), and my idle is rock steady and does never drop below 840 RPM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, thanks for the first-hand experiences. There are lots of threads on here that describe the coffee grinder sound (clutch chatter) and low rpm transmission rattling sounds - especially in a C4. That is what has me turned off on the LWF. Otherwise, I would love the lower inertia.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

I find a lot on here is posted by people that have never driven or just heard and have no exp with a mod.
I think you have lots here of first hand exp saying no issues and I am one of them.

Go for it and never look back
Old 09-18-2009, 03:28 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys with a LWF can't be serious! Don't you have difference at idle with the clutch engaged or not...you must have?!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

From another thread - member "Kevin"

"I sell 5 to 10 of these kits a week for the turbo crowd, the noise or rattle is the spring pack of the sprung clutch disk. Please give the clutch 500 miles to settle/break in.

Usually you will have a noise at idle (rattle) then at when you get going in first till about 2500 RPM's. Once torque over comes the clutch pack, it should be quiet after that. If you short shift into 2nd you can have the noise also. If you have a noisy bearing in your gearbox the lack of the dual mass can become louder with the LWFW installed.

Please realize that the clutch will engage quicker, most people take a day to get use to it."

Too much extra sound for me. There must be an alternative, well-behaved, stronger clutch?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Well Nick again you should find someone with a LWF near you and drive it. I don't hear any noise and no rattle.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
You guys with a LWF can't be serious! Don't you have difference at idle with the clutch engaged or not...you must have?!
No difference whatsoever.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the "Gravel" sound with my LWF and C4... and it is part of the sound of the car. It only happens when in low revs in second gear, like idling up my street.. that's it.

Otherwise I feel like its a non-issue.

Ilko, My Steve Wong chip handled that RPM problem for me. (waiting for Loren to dump all over me now)
Old 09-19-2009, 04:22 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Every car I've driven rattles at idle with the LWF incl my own. Same thing with the GT3 CS with the LFW Above idle or in gear there's no noise, that's the difference between Dual FW and the LFW. Or is it because you have all the sound padding left so you just don't here it? Just read an article of a test drive of the RS cars.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does rattle a bit at idle with the LWF. I wonder if the people who can't hear it, just have a loud exhaust set up..?! I never had any stalling problems until I had the aircon fixed. When it's turned on, it does want to stall a bit more often. Even so, I'd never go back to the DMF as the car feels more alive this way!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Ilko, My Steve Wong chip handled that RPM problem for me. (waiting for Loren to dump all over me now)
I may have to give Steve a call. Since I have a supercharger I've been told by the company that makes it that I should run a completely stock chip. But I'd like to hear what Mr. Wong has to say. And then wait for Loren's retort
Old 09-19-2009, 09:53 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the GT3 RS LW clutch and am tickled pink with the results. I also installed the blue Wevo motor mounts with Rennline reinforced engine carrier. The car is a DE/street car. The only down side to it is a slight hunting of idle on initial cold startup and a small rattle in second gear if I should lug it for some reason. I do not have a chip in the car. I think Thomas is correct though the sound probably would be more pronounced if I still didn't have my complete interior padding. The upside is that the car 's rpm spools up and down a lot quicker and the engine is loads more responsive. Works very well on the track and liveable on the street. As far as clamping force, I'm sure if it can handle the power of a GT3 RS's engine it should have no problem with the 964.

I've been asked more than a few times if I would recommend this clutch. My only response is that if your a concours and luxury type of guy you may not want to live with the trade offs especially if its a daily driver.

Dan

Quick Reply: Rattle-free clutch upgrade?