Sponsored by:

Rattle-free clutch upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey all,
Thanks again for the input on this. I have discovered that there is a 993TS clutch disk and pressure plate upgrade available. The vendor I've talked to said some mods to the parts are necessary to fit and the pedal effort goes up. Total is around $1600. Is any familiar with this setup?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I installed a Fidanza lightweight flywheel a few years back with an upgrade Sachs clutch kit which has a higher clamp force. The noise below 3000rpm drove me insane and made the car an absolute chore. My car is set up for track and I am happy with stiff suspension, noisy exhaust and a really positive clutch but the noise made me take it out after a few weeks as I could not enjoy the car around town at all. The gearbox etc in the car is perfect.
Perhaps the genuine lightweight flywheel doesn't suffer from this? I'd be very interested as the car flew with the lwf installed.
As for chipping for the idle, my car had an aftermarket chip already but the issue still remained and this was simply fixed by plugging it into a Porsche Bosch diagnostic which then I gather just altered the settings to suit. We also did this last wee after installing new big duration camshafts.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove my 964 back-to-back several times with 93 C2 that had the LWF. The engine spool-up/spool-down was remarkably faster. I had no problems and no noticeable noise. My stock clutch is still excellent, but when it finally goes, the LWF is going in.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS clutch and LWF + Steve Wong chip rocks! I'm never going back! And I have a C4 Cab, the most street-oriented 964 there is! I bet it would be even more fun in a lightened C2 coupe
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey folks,
I really appreciate all the testimony, but I'm looking for alternatives to the lwf/rs clutch.

No one is familiar with the 993TTS disk/pressure plate option?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of things to ponder -

since you're going forced induction down the road, I'd go with the strongest pressure plate and aggressive clutch disk material that I could, while maintaining whatever level of comfort and drivability I wanted. We're fortunate that we've got a bunch of choices, and when I was figuring out my upgrade path I was amazed at how many pressure plates were close to 'bolt in'. If possible, drive a car with a similar setup prior to purchase since clutch effort is completely subjective.

I think what you're hearing on the LWFW is that you're perception of it from what you've read is not in line with what has been experienced by many folks. I know that I really sweated whether I was doing the right thing going to the LWFW and 993 PP combo with RS motor mounts, in fact a (once) respected shop in my area refused to put one in because they said it would be too harsh. Now, having experienced it first hand, I see how laughable that statement was. Note that I went with the Porsche pieces, not the uber-light Fidanza and solid mounts. Zero gravel etc unless I super short shift and trundle in 3rd at like 1500 rpm.

In my opinion, especially if you're into performance - you owe it to yourself to find a local dude with a lwfw setup that he likes. Preferably with a Steve Wong chip to handle the idle beter.

I honestly don't think there is a more dramatic performance upgrade to be had in a 964 than tossing the bloated dual mass unit for the RS unit - it's literally transformative to the car... which is why you're hearing from so many of us

Whatever you decide, I hope it rocks - good luck with your decision!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Lil bastard
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part #s and costs for Porsche RS Clutch and SMF Flyhweel? Steve Wong Chip?

Cheers!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Part #s and costs for Porsche RS Clutch and SMF Flyhweel? Steve Wong Chip?

Cheers!
I'll pm you - don't wanna threadjack
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick, I just put a stage 1 turbo on my car from protomotive. I spoke with Todd and he recommended a 964t, 993tt or a 996tt clutch for my car. I opted to go with the sachs 996TT clutch kit for my car just in case I wanted to go stage 2. It was recommended to put the assist spring in as well. I did not get the assist spring put in my car. After driving without it, I felt that I did not need it.

The feel of the clutch is awesome. Its a totally different feel than stock but in a good way. The clutch is definately firmer and grabs around the same spot as the stock clutch. I did not go with a light weight flywheel, i had mine machined. I can let it go as hard as I want and shift in each gear as hard as I want with absolutley no slip.

Ps. After re-reading through all the posts again, I do have a very small chatter only when taking off in first, very small...does it bother me...no. If I launch hard, there is no chatter at all.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Rattle-free clutch upgrade?