Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet more track seat question(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Cafe00
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet more track seat question(s)...

Hi Guys, recently sold my Dinan S3 M3 and am new to the Porsche and 964 world. Purchased TH996's 1991 Carrera 2. Loving the car, but a few questions:

The prior owner had TRE Motorsports in LA install a DAS Sport rollbar and Sparco EVO L seats with Ryan Harnesses. The Sparco seat brackets are bolted directly the the floor of the car and not sliders. On the factory seats the rear sliders are held in by two M8 bolts each side. But TRE for some reason only used one bolt for each rear bracket mount. So a total of only 4 bolts per seat vs. 6 on the factory seat. Additional strange thing is that instead of bolts, TRE replaced the tunnel side factory mount bolts with M8 studs. I'm guessing they did this since there is not much clearance and getting an M8 bolt in such a tight space may be next to impossible. Does this sound like a correct installation? Since factory seatbelt receptacle is attached to seat itself this lack of additional bolts for the rear brackets does not seem strong enough to me.

Related question - the submarine harness is properly bolted through the chassis but the tunnel side harness is bolted to the seat/seatbelt receptacle vs. directly to the tunnel/chassis. Is this acceptable?

thanks for any advice...
ms
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
junkart
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cafe00
Related question - the submarine harness is properly bolted through the chassis but the tunnel side harness is bolted to the seat/seatbelt receptacle vs. directly to the tunnel/chassis. Is this acceptable?
Mine is the same way and passes POC tech inspection so far.

I use Cobra bucket seats. They way they mount: seat --> side mounts --> rail/slider --> chassis.

4 bolts used to mount the rails to chassis - 2 on each rail/slider.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

The factory seat bolts are made of cheese. You can put 60 of those bolts per seat and they still suck. Sounds like TRE had a nice solution.

The tunnel side harness has to be bolted to the tunnel, not the seat belt receptacle, That is, unless the seat belt receptacle is bolted to the tunnel and not to the seat. That is what the PCA inspection station I use has told me in the past.

Quick Reply: Yet more track seat question(s)...