Sponsored by:

Help find the leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 AM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help find the leak

I've sprung another leak.... I think I'm getting better at finding these a bit myself....

I think the oil is coming from the oil entry? line into the engine at the front right of cases (top left in picture)?

Is this a common place for a leak? I don't have a wrench big enough to put on the fitting and I doubt its loose -- I couldn't get my hand up there along the line to find the true source....

The oil get all over the right side heat exchanger makes smoke and stink and a mess of my driveway.
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few bits that can leak down onto there, oil breather/sensor area on the top of the engine and 2 or 3 oil pipe joins. Your pic shows the bottom fitting of the oil pipe where it meets the engine, the pic below shows the next 2 which are rubber pipe push on fits with hose clamps(I double clamped the bottom one when I refitted the pipe, 1 clamp is factory).

Here is how the oil breather/sensor area on the top of the engine looks after being cleaned up and before the new gaskets etc were fitted:

And here is how it looked when I started:

There is a recent "oil leak" thread which has more details which is probably worth searching for.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 PM
jeffwe
Intermediate

Interestingly I've noticed that I get a cloud and stink of smoke when the car is idling on a steep downhill slope. I'm in Seattle...

I don't know if the steep downhill triggers more leaking, or if it just causes the oil to run onto a much hotter surface suddenly...

I'm keeping my fire bottle handy...
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
jeffwe
Intermediate

OK -- I got a better look by removing the rear wheel.

The leak is not coming from that oil line. There appears to be two nuts on studs above where that oil line enters the motor. The upper nut/stud is leaking. Would this be a nut/stud that holds the case halves together?

Quick Reply: Help find the leak