Sponsored by:

Larger A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Larger A/C Compressor

Has anyone ever installed a larger A/C compressor to improve the cooling capacity of our A/C system? If so, what did you use?
Peter
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The Japanese-made Nippondenso compressor on the 964 is the best available IMHO. Read the "Pumpkin" thread for an idea on getting better air handling on the evaporator. Also check for bugs and chaff build-up in the condensor (left side in front of the tire). It takes a flashlight and mirror to inspect it. I could see very little daylight through mine.

Cleaning the condensor with compressed air, custom bent tubing, and a vacuum cleaner got a surprising amount of junk out - worth the effort for weight reduction alone. Cooling performance is fine in hot, humid, and traffic-choked Atlanta.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Springer
Good to know. I will give that a try. Do i need to take anything apart to get to the condensor?
Peter
Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
rollingjack
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about larger one. Original A/C compressor is Nippondenso 10PA15C. And my A/C compressor is dead now. Some people told me, that try 10PA17C which is next size from 15C. OK, I checked it but dimensions for fastening are so much different, that I forgetted this changing. And next dimension is 10PA20C which was used on 928 from 1991.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by psiegel
...Do i need to take anything apart to get to the condensor? ...
It has been a couple of years, but I recall only a cover underneath needs to be removed. A flashlight, inspection mirror, vacuum cleaner, and a radius-bent tube for the air compressor got every bit of the gunk out. It is a nasty job blowing away dust and dirt, but well-worth the pay back. Cleaning the oil cooler is similar.

Quick Reply: Larger A/C Compressor