What is the right price? 91 C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is the right price? 91 C4

Hi everyone;

Looking for a 90-92 C4 in the San DIego area. I have seen a few posts here suggesting I can find something in the $17 k price range - with 100k miles, not perfect, but a sound car with the major 964 issues taken care of. Looking for a fun, weekend car, no projects or show vehicles and no intention to take it to the track.

I am going to look at a 91 C4 at Specialty Sales near San Fran later this week. The car is a blue cab, with the flywheel upgrade, seems well maintained. They are asking $21,900. Of course, I would get a PPI, but based on waht I have read in this forum, it seems that around $17-18k would be a fair price.

Thoughts on a C4 vs C2 and the price would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone is selling a car like this in So Cal, please let me know.

Thanks!

THoughts on price
Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Mid teens for a manual cab with 100K miles, a little more for a coupe.

C2 vs C4 is a can of worms I'm not about to open
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
Mid teens for a manual cab with 100K miles, a little more for a coupe.

C2 vs C4 is a can of worms I'm not about to open
but if new owner....its worthwhile spending some time researching C2 vs C4
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

How do you plan on using the car? The C2 and C4 feel differently when driven. I have one of each. My advice is to drive both kinds and then make a decision on which model to shop for.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're right about the price.

First, I recommend that you read Adrian Streather's Porsche Companion, if yyou haven't already.

Since you're not going to race the car, I would highly recommend a C4. According to Streather, the performance of stock C2 and C4 models are almost identical. The difference will be in the handling and traction.

While I admit that I have not driven a C2, I did have 3 previous rear wheel drive 911's over 15 years. The C2 guys might tell me that there's no comparison in performance, and the C4 has even more understeer than the C@. On the track, they might be right, but you saidd you weren't going to track it.
What I can tell yo about a C4 is that when I take a cloverleaf in my C4 at maximum speed, IN THE RAIN (it does actually rain in SoCAl, doesn't it), I never have a second thought like I did with the rear wheel drive cars. I believe it is much safer. It's amazing when you feel those front wheels pull you through a curve, as compared to feeling the back ones trying to spin you off of it. My C4 has certainly been a confidence builder for me.

Some say front wheel drive is more parts = more maintenance. But the front drive on my car is just about the only thing that's been carefree.

Good luck with your decision and your purchase!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts

My C4 is for sale and located in San Diego... But $29,995 is the asking price... more than $17,000...

A "fair/right price" is what the seller will accept, not what this forum necessarily states...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
A "fair/right price" is what the seller will accept, not what this forum necessarily states...
But what if we hash it out for 4 or 5 pages? It will be a lot more creditable then.

A service history is nice, but at this age it may be spotty, more likely nonexistent. A good inspection by a competent shop should tell you what you need to know.

The C2 vs. C4 thing is much ado about very little for a street car. Each has its good points, but it comes out to a wash basically. You'll love either one.

Assuming it passes inspection, $17-18K seems reasonable for the car you're looking at on a car lot in your area.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
But what if we hash it out for 4 or 5 pages? It will be a lot more creditable then.
yeah, if you're the seller or buyer!!

A service history is nice, but at this age it may be spotty, more likely nonexistent. A good inspection by a competent shop should tell you what you need to know.
I think the inspection by someone who knows what they're looking at is more meaningful. I've had 6 964's now - a huge stack papers that define "a complete service history" doesn't mean much most of the time... but it does provide an avenue for identity theft!

The C2 vs. C4 thing is much ado about very little for a street car. Each has its good points, but it comes out to a wash basically. You'll love either one.
Yeah - there are bigger issues to look into when choosing between cars, especially when they're this old.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmiz
Hi everyone;

Looking for a 90-92 C4 in the San DIego area. I have seen a few posts here suggesting I can find something in the $17 k price range - with 100k miles, not perfect, but a sound car with the major 964 issues taken care of. Looking for a fun, weekend car, no projects or show vehicles and no intention to take it to the track.

I am going to look at a 91 C4 at Specialty Sales near San Fran later this week. The car is a blue cab, with the flywheel upgrade, seems well maintained. They are asking $21,900. Of course, I would get a PPI, but based on waht I have read in this forum, it seems that around $17-18k would be a fair price.

Thoughts on a C4 vs C2 and the price would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone is selling a car like this in So Cal, please let me know.

Thanks!

THoughts on price
perhaps checking on "craigslook" will give you an overview of prices across the country - like here
http://www.craiglook.com/cars.html?q=1991+porsche+911
http://www.craiglook.com/cars.html?q=1992+porsche+911

generally it may be safe to say most c2's c4's price out in the high teens - high quality items in the 20's, and limited editions - worth research.

my personal view after weeks of research-after driving both...buying a 964 C2 manual trans. is best.....(but no desire to start any arguments with C4 owners!!).
Old 09-10-2009, 08:47 AM
gmiz
Instructor

Thanks for all of the advice - lots to think about. Going to drive the on at Specialty this weekend, I hope. I have now driven both and liked them both. I am not ruling out a C2, but the one for sale caught my eye and seems to be in the right price range for me. I also like the idea of 4 wheel drive from a safety perspective, but that might be more my perception than reality. Of course, if I proceed I will get a PPI done first.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 290 Posts

964 Prices

The list prices seem to be all over the place - this coming from a buyer in the market:

An '89 C4 that I was supposed to look at this week just sold for $14,500 (or less, not sure exactly). It had 130K miles. No issues, decent service history.

I've seen a few coupes with less than 100K miles listed for low 20s. (dealers)

^Garrett's '94 C4 is listed at $29.9 (i think 85K miles - full rebuild and service history).

There's another '94 C4 listed over $30 (cant remember miles).

The RSA's are listed from high 20s to low 40s.

On the "964 price sticky", the last three sales were: $16,836 ('90 C2, 90K miles ); $22,000 ('91 C4, 89K miles); and $28.9 ('93 C2 - low miles). The latter looks like a fantastic deal.

But if you look on NADA or KBB price guides, the values are mid-to high teens.

I'm still looking - there's a great 94 RSA in Canada, but importing is too much of a PITA.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a 91 c4 with 48k miles for 22k. Not so much service history up until two years ago, but the engine was rebuilt and clutch tranny everything. I was ok with the lack of service history because who realy cares if the oil was changed on a motor that was rebuilt. I know people are looking for bargains but I still feel for a very nice 964 today in manual your still looking in the 19k-24k range depending on miles and overall condition.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Tagsley
Intermediate

If you are coming up to No. Cal you can drive mine if you want to get a baseline.

130k miles but rebuilt engine and clutch less than 6k ago. Everything stock except wheels and stereo. PPI that you can look at as well.

PM me for info if you want.

Last edited by Tagsley; 09-10-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by garrett376
My C4 is for sale and located in San Diego... But $29,995 is the asking price... more than $17,000...

hmmmmm...

But the market value is what the buyer will pay. Fair / right price doesn't have any meaning if it doesn't sell.

Much as I' d like my car to be worth what I want, I've seen a lot of good cars sell over the past few months for $13 -16K!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
gmiz
Instructor

I think that some of the cars, like Garretts might well be worth more given condition and the work done to it. I am not looking for perfect, but an concerned that $18 or $19k will get me a car that needs $10 in work.

I will get a PPI for sure but hoping not to buy a money pit! There is one locally for sale but it has almost 200,000 miles on it, so that is scaring me off .

Again, any leads or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: What is the right price? 91 C4