Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC someone on this forum was just looking for a tip in the last couple weeks.

Yes, the market is super soft.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I think this is the post of a gentleman looking for a tip, though he wants a targa.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tiptronic.html
Old 09-09-2009, 04:15 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,980 Likes on 2,950 Posts

green porsches are very hard to sell just like red mercedes sedans are a hard sell...the tiptronic combined with higher mileage all result in a low price point...

i would take the $13,500 and be happy you got rid of it...

too many nice silver/charcoal/black/white and red 5 speed cars in the $15-$16K range
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by groovzilla
green porsches are very hard to sell just like red mercedes sedans are a hard sell...the tiptronic combined with higher mileage all result in a low price point...

i would take the $13,500 and be happy you got rid of it...

too many nice silver/charcoal/black/white and red 5 speed cars in the $15-$16K range
I would too....that price would seem fair for today's market and the product itself.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup - I'd have to agree. Regrettably - the Tip is the killer. You could have to GIVE me the car AND $13k cash - then I'd take it. I'd spend the cash to convert the car to a 6 speed. ; )

While the OP certianly now knows the general feeling about the car - I flog this point more for folks thinking about BUYING a tip - make sure you know that later on you're going to have a tought time selling it.

A long time ago my ex and I were shopping for a sedan and found a 5-speed 190E. The dealer was PLEADING with us to take it - he just could not unload such a strange car in Canada. Can you imagine if it had been red???

RK
Old 09-09-2009, 03:46 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Uhh.... where??

I've seen plenty of black ones.

I'd love to know where you're seeing these nice silver / charcoal / white / red 5-speed's in the $15-16k range...? That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 PM
CHASE
Instructor

Thanks for all the honest advice guys...once again I wish I spent a year on this site before I bought my car. That should be as important as the PPI. Anyways I have enjoyed the car. The tip works great and can be driven sporty (formula one anyone). I have agreed to the sale so we will see how it goes. Thanks again......
Old 09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

gokart you don't like black?? also you coming to the BBQ
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Polman
Pro

A sports car should be manual, but if I look at the German site www.mobile.de there’s tons off tiptronic cars....The hole country Germany is a giant traffic jam....so I would defiantly by a tiptronic if i lived in that country.....Here in Sweden......nice roads...no traffic....vrooooom
Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tiptronic can be a blessing in Los Angeles traffic. Some of my manual tranny cars hardly see daylight because the stop-n-go traffic in them can be tiring. I can't imagine having to drive some of my childhood favorite cars such as the Countach and 512TR in LA traffic. Had the car been local, I would have considered it at that price. Good luck on your sale!

Last edited by parsecnc4; 09-09-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear of your predicament. All I can say is "I've been there!".

That $15K buyer might be just around the corner, but when you need cash, sometimes you just have to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Regardless whether it's a beautiful car or not (It think it is!), apparently some less popular options like the Tip and Green are possibly keeping it from selling in this tough market, because there are fewer buyers. If you are needing a fringe buyer, which the Tip and Green dictate, there may be almost none of them out there.

I saw that one of our new members paid $26K for a car the other day, and even though the car was very desirable in every way (color, model, accessories, miles, history), I started to comment that he paid $10K too much for it. However, everyone has their own sense of value. That's why you're right when you said it's only worth what someone is actually willing to pay for it, and I'll add "today".

Don't want to sound like Dr. Laura, but I learned what was most important when I went through some really hard financial times here in TX in the '80s. Hold onto your family if you have one. They will look to you for stability and they're hard to replace. There will be another 964 awaiting you when you're back on top.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

For what its worth I think you made the right call. Better times will come by, and 1500 isn't worth holding out for, even if its under market. GL
Old 09-09-2009, 09:26 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
gokart you don't like black?? also you coming to the BBQ
I like black - I just don't want to OWN black. I've had a metallic black car before, and it was beautiful when it was clean - but impossible to keep clean
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Brian...sorry to hear things haven't turned around for you yet.

I've seen the car and it does look nice. It may be called Amazon Green but compared to my car (the green one to the left of his in his avatar) it is blue all day long.

Even though mine is green I have little doubt that I could unload mine fairly easily if needed (5 speed, 34K miles and unmolested). There was a good amount of interest in his car at P2O. I really think it all boils down to the tip.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM
CHASE
Instructor

Originally Posted by altarchsa

Don't want to sound like Dr. Laura, but I learned what was most important when I went through some really hard financial times here in TX in the '80s. Hold onto your family if you have one. They will look to you for stability and they're hard to replace. There will be another 964 awaiting you when you're back on top.
Altarchsa,
You are right and that is exactly how I feel. Maybe this is a blessing as my older son will be 16 in 3 years----insurance would be high I am sure!

Travis....Your green 964 is sweet and I am glad I got to park next to you and meet you at P2O. I may come down in October for the show (Porscheless). I will look you up if I attend.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy