Sponsored by:

Car damaged while at the dealer "The Collection" Miami

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Car damaged while at the dealer "The Collection" Miami

My good friend was pretty frustrated this week as his 70,000 miles 1990 white C4 was damaged by some ruthless " The Collection" employee... guy was speeding inside the dealer's building and slipped , over wet floor, hitting some kind of gate... the result was damage to both fenders, hood and front bumper.

According to the dealer, their insurance will take care of everything...

My friend's concern is: His car was absolutely original... never repaired... factory paint on every single panel... not a scratch... what kind of market value he's going to lose due to this fix? What's is worst... have the front repainted (probably will not match the rear end) or ask for a full re-spray?

Any thoughts on the subject...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:33 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He needs to get a market adjustment back in cash above and beyond the repair.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Good news is it is white. The bad news is......don't expect the dealer to go over what the insurance is going to fix. I had a dealer drop my car off a lift. They fixed it and it looked wonderful, but they would not pay for any market adjustment or take the car back on trade. The car had less than 2k miles on it. I was pretty upset about the entire deal buy unless I wanted the expense of hiring an attorney, "it is what is it". Kinda of stinks..... I wish your friend luck and even though mine didn't go well, tell him to ask for a market adjustment and anything he can get.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I had them service my Audi TT a few years ago.... Never again....
Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you file an insurance claim for damge repair or paint work doesn't show up on a carfax after the work is completed?
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

What an excellent paint shop can do now, as compared to forty years ago, is remarkable. But they, too, have limitations. The good ones are honest and will give the same in assessment. Given the history of the car, it deserves the best consideration. And with expert repair, your friend will be satisfied, if only of the appearance. As to value lost...'lawyers in love'.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I suggest a full-respray. White might be very easy to match, but there will still be a difference between the freshly repainted parts and the old ones. I don't think a full respray will be worse than just a front respray.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Don't know about FL, but here in TX you get a market adjustment, over and above the cost of the repairs, for the devaluation of the market value of the car. I wouldn't hesitate to get an attorney, even as much as I would not want to, if he's not satisfied with the repair and adjustment.

If he's like me, he'll always know it's "damaged goods", not the original car he once had. If he get's the adjustment, at least he could sell his car and buy another original car.............maybe after the market strengthens.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Don't know about FL, but here in TX you get a market adjustment, over and above the cost of the repairs, for the devaluation of the market value of the car. I wouldn't hesitate to get an attorney, even as much as I would not want to, if he's not satisfied with the repair AND the adjustment.

I had a car damaged by the Dealer years ago. I was proactive and made the Dealer let me take it to the shop of my choice, and got recommendations from several people. I told them I wanted a repair job consistent with the quality of the car I brought them, thought they knew more about paint than I did, and thought I would be satisfied. When I picked up the car, I discovered they had used lacquer. I was really disappointed! It showed more rock chips in the first six months than the previous 11 years. I finally disassembled the front end and repainted it myself with the same Glaszurit paint that Porsche used.

If he's like me, he'll always know it's "damaged goods", not the original car he once had. If he get's the adjustment, at least he could sell his car and buy another original car.............maybe after the market strengthens.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:05 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an Audi A4 get rear-ended and the right rear frame member had to be replaced. The car was only a couple years old.

There are guys out there who are actually "diminshed value adjusters" that the insurance company will recognize. I tracked down one State Farm uses, paid him $250 for a once over, and then took his report to State Farm. They paid without hesitation, even though they initially told me they didn't pay diminshed value claims (this is TX). Total claim was on the order of $6500.

Neither the frame damage nor the fact that the car was submerged in New Orleans during Katrina (after I sold it) shows up on its CarFax today, even though it is licensed and passing inspections in Mississippi.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
Well, I suggest a full-respray. White might be very easy to match, but there will still be a difference between the freshly repainted parts and the old ones. I don't think a full respray will be worse than just a front respray.
+1
Lawyer up if they are the least bit reluctant to make it completely right.
Of course, the originality is now gone, so I agree with the previous poster that I probably couldn't live with that result. I'd probably end up unloading the car, but at least you would want to get as much reparation as you could from them for their negligence.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys...I really appreciate all the kind feedback and valuable insights... thanks a lot to the Rennlist family...

My friend is asking for a full re-spray plus market adjustment of 20% over approximate car value... he already spoke to his lawyer in case they decide not to do "the right thing"...

What really makes me sick is the lack of respect dealers show towards Porsche heritage...it's like the only thing that matter is the last 3 years leasing generation...

Quick Reply: Car damaged while at the dealer "The Collection" Miami