Sponsored by:

Intermittent Misfire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanUK951
I will also try the TSB if I can work out how to get the back part of the airbox off.
Very easy - once you've taken the front off with the filter, the airbox is attached to the AFM with four nuts. It's also secured to the engine in a couple of places - one nut in front of the airbox (which I'm sure you've seen) and another one inside the airbox, which is also visible when you've removed the filter.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Old thread bump, was this sorted? What turned out to be the problem?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:15 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vandit, it was eventually yes. I had the O2 sensor and cylinder head temp sensor changed at the same time and that cured it. Not sure which of these it was though...
Old 06-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, unfortunately I'm dealing with a similar problem.

I first experienced it in Dec while driving to and from an autocross, but the car raced great all day with no issues. I didn't drive it all winter due to other wrenching projects on the car, and replaced the coils, caps, and rotors during that same period. All components looked tired and due for replacement. I've been driving and racing the car again since April and thought I had solved the problem but it has shown up again during the last couple of times I've driven it to work. Today was exceptionally bad because it totally cut out in stop & go interstate traffic as I was getting going in 1st gear and the car actually stalled. Usually it'll do it while I'm already moving, so while it still loses all power for a moment (feels like an eternity), at least the car doesn't actually die like it did today.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

It's awful when you can't trust your car... I saw a 993 yesterday stopped in the middle lane of the A406 (busy ring road around London). Was just waiting to be rear ended.

Try the things I mentioned and I hope it fixes it for you... Let us know how you get on.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vandit: try cleaning the ground connection between the battery and the body. Mine had similar problems and this cured it.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I had cleaned the ground near the battery some time last summer when I took apart that area to do some minor corrosion prevention. I went ahead and took apart the ground point again this morning and cleaned the body side and contacts w/ some fine grit sandpaper.

I also order a new Head Temperature Sensor from Pelican this morning.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
.........Today was exceptionally bad because it totally cut out in stop & go interstate traffic as I was getting going in 1st gear and the car actually stalled. Usually it'll do it while I'm already moving, so while it still loses all power for a moment (feels like an eternity), at least the car doesn't actually die like it did today.
I had very similar symptoms a few years ago and it was only the DME relay
Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I've swapped DME relays and that didn't seem to stop it. In fact, the first time I experienced the problem, I immediately pulled into a gas station and swapped the relay.

I drove the car to an autocross on Sunday and getting to the event I felt the misfire maybe twice, very subtle, not a big deal. I pounded the the car all day and it never missed a beat. Ran great. I drove it back home like normal and it started to act up pretty bad. It seemed worse when below 3k RPM while giving it light throttle (i.e. typical expressway driving conditions).

I ran into another 964 owner at the autocross and he suggested I clean out my ISV, so that's another item on my to-do list.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I cleaned the ISV last night and drove the car this morning and it acted up again.

I've figured out that if I keep the cruising RPM in a higher range (over 3k), I can keep the misfire away for the most part.

The new CHT sensor should be delivered today, so hopefully I can swap that piece by this weekend.

Last edited by Vandit; 06-20-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Replaced the CHT and the car started f'ing up like usual almost as soon as I pulled out of the driveway... Not a happy camper right now...
Old 06-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

How old are your plug wires??

Are you sure they are all seated correctly at the plugs & caps????? (this is a biggie)

How old is your O2 sensor?

Did you check the whole intake system for vacuum leaks??
Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I do not know the age of the ignition leads or the O2 sensor, I assume they're stock.

I've done the water misting in a dark garage from the topside and bottomside w/ no indication of arcing of the leads.

The coils, caps, and rotors (all Bosch) are new, all wires are seated.

How would I proceed to check for vacuum leaks?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

Try spraying brake cleaner around the engine. Due to the vacuum in the manifold it gts sucked in, and it being combustable you hear the engine running better/rich. I usually measure the lambda signal response (wide band lsu), but it is pretty clear from the engine tone.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Robbie Ravioli
Advanced

I am having an similar issue myself, below 2000 rpm the engine doesnt run as smooth as it used to. Spark seems strong, but I am not sure about he fuelling. Timing and cams are all ok. I was going to add a lsu to measure the lambda, but havent got round to do it.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Misfire Problem