Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a used Quaife, having second thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:49 PM
mada1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a used Quaife, having second thoughts...

I bought a used Quaife Limited Slip Differential on Pelican and was thinking of installing it soon, but after some investigation am wondering if I should go another route. I know there are other options like Guard, and other OEM options.
Just wondering which one is the way to go. It will be for mostly street use.
Also, are there any DIYs for the install? Can it really be done with the tranny in place?

Last edited by mada1; 08-30-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

OEM 40/40 diff is very good for street use. I'd use Quaife and Guard for track, they are stronger. What's the accel/brake ratio on the one you have?

Although you could fit it in by just taking the old one out of the tranny, the correct way is with the transmission on a bench. There are variables between transmissions and differentials and often times you have to use shims to make a diff fit just right. Otherwise you risk damage.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO,

Quaife's and such types of Torque-Biasing differentials are fine for street applications (especially FWD cars), but are far from optimal for track or race cars for the simple reason that they do not keep the rear wheels locked together under braking. Torque-Biasing differentials open up (unlock) just like a regular open differential the moment you release the throttle. LSD's using clutch-packs (ZF, Guard, OS Giken) keep both wheels rotating at the same speed under the same conditions.

LSD's are not just about controlling wheelspin (a TBD can do that): their value is really about stabilizing the car under braking and eliminating that side-to-side wag these cars have when you let off the throttle entering a corner and this handling improvement is quite pronounced.

Installing ANY kind of LSD requires checking and perhaps correcting ring gear backlash & pinion depth and this is not a DIY'er sort of project. Failure to do this can severely reduce ring & pinion life, not to mention make a lot of noise.

Hope this helps,
Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve !! What are you rec'ing for tracked caymen ??

Jack

Quick Reply: Bought a used Quaife, having second thoughts...