964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I afford a Porsche 964?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009 | 01:23 AM
Warpig
Pro

You may want to do some checking on insurance costs for a man of your age. It ain't gonna be cheap for you. Having a daily driver will get you a discount for multi-cars but you will also be paying more than just the 964 would be alone for two cars. I don't know if you are in a region with clearly defined winters and summer time, if you are you may be able to insure the car for only x months of the year and save some money, but then you need to know you can't drive it when it's not insured for one, and don't even consider that approach unless when the car is in storage for the winter it's covered by another policy (homeowners etc.) If you have not checked insurance rates you may want to. Being a male and in your age range you may crap yourself when you get an insurance quote. It would not surprise me if some insurance companies will not even quote you and other may give extremely high quotes so you will look somewhere else. I have a friend who is an auto insurance agent and they give super high quotes to young men often times based on the car because they really don't want you as you are considered "High Risk". Sad but a reality. In 1992 when I was 21 I wanted to buy a 92' 5.0L V8 Mustang. Many companies would quote $5,000 a year just to get me to go away. I finally found a company that would take me and that car at that age (my driving record was spotless btw) and it ended up running me $1800 a year (allot for insurance in 92'). I wish you well and I hope you get your 964. As others have said start with a good one and maintain properly as opposed to a mediocre one specially if you will not be doing most of the wrenching on it yourself.

Nick
Old 08-30-2009 | 04:39 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

A lot of sound reasoning in this thread, I say just go for it.

Think of the absolute worst case; the car ends up needing a major repair soon after purchase and you decide to sell it instead of dealing with the headache yourself, you're out $6-8K, have learned an expensive lesson, and you can always come back to p-cars later.

But on the other hand you may get lucky and find a solid car that you can enjoy for years to come (look for documentation over the life of the car and then read it over carefully, a thorough PPI at a recommended shop would definitely help too, a second opinion couldn't hurt, and a third set of eyes from a body shop or alignment shop would be icing...)

Take your time finding the right car, save funds in the meantime. Also, as others have mentioned look into a good trustworthy mechanic that knows the air-cooled cars well.
Old 08-30-2009 | 11:29 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Rather than tell you what to do, let me tell you my story...

I bought my first 911 (79 SC Targa) back in 1993 at age 19. I paid $11,500 for that car and it truly was a beater (neglected getting a PPI). I had about $25K available in cash from summer jobs over the years, and had the 911 bug since childhood due to an extensive Matchbox car collection. I had started looking seriously at age 17, and my dad about had a heart attack when I told him what I wanted to buy. Over those two years, I almost pulled the trigger on two 911s - a restored '77 2.7 with fresh white paint and SC flares that was bought from under my nose while I was at the bank getting a cashier's check, and a mint 83 SC targa in gunmetal gray with 50K on the odometer ($13.5K asking price) from a yuppie who has lost his job in the recession and needed to liquidate FAST. My dad stepped in on that car, and forbade me to buy it. To this day, I regret not buying that car. My wife even calls it "the one that got away."

The following year, I said screw it (more out of frustration) and bought my '79 beater from a local PCA member. I then changed the color from brown to black, added a killer sound system, and attended every PCA event that I could for the next 7 years.

That car cost me about $12K in maintenance over the next 7 years, and I outsources all of the work (except cosmetic) to a local indy Porsche shop. Looking back, buying that car was the best decision of my life to that point for two reasons 1) the memories made with the car are legendary and 2) I have some great pictures to prove it. Sure it was expensive, but the pride of ownership was priceless.

My 911 collection has grown along with my income, and I hope to continue to add more Porsches to the stable. Live the dream dude - and do it on YOUR terms. You will have no regrets.

Good luck,
-Blake
Old 08-30-2009 | 12:27 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oracle
My advise: Follow your head.

No you shouldn't have a 964 when you're starting a professional life.
When you're more settled and have a daily driver that won't put your finances in jeopardy then go and buy that car of your dreams.

Of course you'll do whatever you want but hey, don't say that someone didn't tell you to wait...
A toy car like the 911 isn't going to be enjoyable if it puts other parts of your life into stress (ie finances etc). The last thing you want is to worry about how much to fix this, or what will go wrong next or how you're going to pay for this etc. You want to run the car, not the other way around.

I did what Oracle stated...got settled and bought it after I was truly ready. No worries, no regrets. I also get to share the glorious car with my wife and kids. I went through a few other fun cars before buying my 911. I had an e30 and an NA Miata (which I supercharged) and they were a hoot to drive. After a year in each, I decided it was time to step into the 911. It was a natural progression and had full support from my wife. Never looked back.
Old 08-30-2009 | 03:54 PM
S7AR
Intermediate

wow, reading this thread makes me wonder if i am ready for my first pcar as well. ive been reading up on problems and reliability but it did not seem too bad. i understand they are older cars, maybe i should be looking at 993s instead?
Old 08-30-2009 | 04:08 PM
Flagg
Racer

Warpig,

When I bought my 911 - I looked at making it my only car. But I found out I could insure the 911 AND my beater CRX for less then just the 911, IF I said that the 911 was a secondary car. Just my experience........

I kept both cars - and glad I did - because the 911 is in better shape today because of it......

Flagg
Old 08-30-2009 | 04:21 PM
Koizumi
5th Gear

I've been lurking around here for quite some time, but just signed up. I think it is safe to say that any enthusiast-type car will cost more than the standard layman's car. But the other side of the coin is that I personally have gotten used to emptying out my wallet and wrenching on cars for many years. I forgot what it was like to have an 'easy' car... My daily driver for a few years now is my BMW 8-Series. Anyhow, I look forward to purchasing a 964 sometime soon.
Old 08-30-2009 | 08:12 PM
Oracle
Pro

Originally Posted by S7AR
maybe i should be looking at 993s instead?
Err... they're the most expensive to repair and the most expensive upfront price...
Old 08-30-2009 | 09:17 PM
N51
Drifting

Originally Posted by KidA_OK
I am 22years old just out of college, and I really want to buy a Porsche 964.
I have $15000 cash to buy a car, and have $10,000 or so in savings.

I am usually an impulse buyer, but I need to get some advice and
think this through before I dive right in.

I take home $2800 monthly, my expense usually run $1800.
If i put $500 a month away for maintenance would this cover it?
Can I really afford the maintenance of these great sport cars? or is this just a pipe dreams.

Thanks guys!
You've done well. Out of college and saving. That's better than some here. Continue on.

I'm tired of supporting bad mortgages and 'cash for clunkers'. Idiots, them all.

Wait awhile. Think. Save. Take responsibility for your future. A concept lost to many.
Old 08-31-2009 | 12:01 AM
S7AR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oracle
Err... they're the most expensive to repair and the most expensive upfront price...
from the ppl i have been talking to, they are suggesting the 993 becuase it will be more reliable down the road. and the expensive price makes up for it in the end.
although i do love the look of the 964 more.
Old 08-31-2009 | 04:23 AM
Oracle
Pro

Originally Posted by S7AR
they are suggesting the 993 becuase it will be more reliable down the road.
Wrong because any car will age, hence more unreliability not better... (stop talking to "they", they just want your hard earned $$$)
Old 08-31-2009 | 11:21 AM
Willie P
Instructor

I have a friend with a completely "gone over" 964 with many engine upgrades and consumables replaced.

It is a targa and the mileage is higher (100k+) as such his last ditch price is/was $16,500 (but don't hold me to that). You would not have any immediate issues with maintenance, but should budget about $1500 per year in maintennance.

PM if interested in this car (it is located on the PA/OH border near Pittsburgh). Unless he recently sold it.
Old 08-31-2009 | 12:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

As with others here, I'm also a lifer..........got a 12 year old '68 when I was 18 in 1980. Busted engine (holed piston from a whacked out previous owner rebuild) 3 months later. Didn't care that I couldn't then afford to have someone fix it, I figured why not? So out it came. And it's led to a lifetime of friendships, at times a career, and certainly THE hobby I'll go to my grave with.

But it wasn't my only car. And I WAS looking for a car to completely change out. See, there was the orange IROC car turned SCCA racer we pitted next to at Willow Springs one year.........

So anyway with your cash, I'd step back a generation or two into an SC or Carrera. Maybe not the niceties of the 964, but go find a loved one. Purchase price might be similar; running costs for a good one will likely a lot less.
Old 08-31-2009 | 12:36 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
I'd step back a generation or two into an SC or Carrera. Maybe not the niceties of the 964, but go find a loved one. Purchase price might be similar; running costs for a good one will likely (be) a lot less.
Old 08-31-2009 | 05:13 PM
vin964
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by race911
So anyway with your cash, I'd step back a generation or two into an SC or Carrera. Maybe not the niceties of the 964, but go find a loved one. Purchase price might be similar; running costs for a good one will likely a lot less.
Ken, I am in the market for a 3.2 or 964, and kind of newbie to these cars as well,
but I would of figured a 3.2 911 would be more expensive to run than a 964,
because its older, and parts would start need replacing sooner, am i wrong on this assumption?

Quick Reply: Can I afford a Porsche 964?