Sponsored by:

Can I afford a Porsche 964?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to agree with my colleagues that advice you to be cautious, I have a 964 and I am totally incapable of working on it so I usually spend a lot of money on repair bills.
Also I guess my pockets (at 57 years old) are much more deeper than yours so I can pay those bills with not much pain
Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Alexx
Instructor

Look you need to know that this is expensive hobby, but very nice one if you like cars and spending time with them! I was 24 when I bought my first and only Porsche (now I`m 25 I you have time and desire to spend it replacing parts and rebuilding it then I say buy it, I believe you will not regret it! You`ll see that here on the forum people are obliging and everyone will help you and give you advise! I will be so easy to rebuilt it

Take care and tell us your decision.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I'm not a financial advisor but buying an impractical car like a 911 depends on what you want to do overall. Do you want to own a home? Need to pay any debts off? Want to travel? If you have nothing planned with your money, why not? From the numbers given, you're not in the best position to own a 911, but if you are debt free, have no big obligations...and don't mind the potential case of throwing money into fixing/repairing (a potentially expensive proposition) the car, enjoy! These cars are great fun. Most would agree that there is no such thing as a cheap 911. Buy one and you could be blowing your savings in the first few months to fix it. Nobody knows for sure, but your mindset has to be prepared for such a situation. Hope for the best, plan for the worst....my 964 fantastic and it is worth it to me. Bought mine at 31....34 soon and this car always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
targatopper
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you afford a 964? Who knows? Nobody on this forum can tell you this. If you have the chance of one, go for it. Then when you own it you will find out if you CAN afford it or not, but by then you will be grinning from ear to ear and you will start making sacrifices in other parts of your life so that you can afford to keep it and more importantly carry on grinning. However, one thing is for sure, if you don't buy one, every day you will think to yourself
"I wonder" or "what if ........" or or or.
If you want one that bad sod everything and just get it. You know it makes sense.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM
fiemiller
Track Day

I'd get a house first if you don't already have one. There is a good tax credit for first time home buyers and you'll need a garage for the 964 when you do get it.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Just my two cents, I bought my 964 at 27 and never looked back. Is it expensive? Hell yeah, I bought a nice example and still pumped $4k into it in the first year. Most of that was routine maintenance. I drive mine daily, and I love it. Is it expensive to run daily, it sure is, but it is worth it if you ask me. These are amazing cars that can be driven everyday. Who do you know that owns an 18 year old car that can drive like a Porsche? I don't. Look, you have the money, I say go for it. Find a nice example that is closer to $20k and you should be fine with maintenance costs for a while. I wouldn't rule out a nice 3.2 with the G50. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

How does it fit into you overall life goals right now?

At 22 are you confident that the economy will keep you in your current job?

Will you meet the woman of your dreams and get married in the next 2 years?

Consider the whole picture. Then go out and buy the damn thing! (with consideration of all of the advice posted in this thread.)
Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
Will you meet the woman of your dreams and get married in the next 2 years?

Consider the whole picture. Then go out and buy the damn thing! (with consideration of all of the advice posted in this thread.)
This is a good reason to buy one now because your life could change very quickly...wife, kids, dog, mortgage, etc. It could then be a long time before you get the chance to buy that Porsche again...ask me how I know
Old 08-29-2009, 03:01 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
PS. Looking at F2 Iceland's current collection - I don't think funds are much of a consideration for him - he's clearly not going to be as constrained by cash flow as you are - I'd discount his encouragement only on the basis of him being in an apparently very different place financially than you. (And good for him - just not the same)
Being one of a few Porsche enthusiest in Iceand most of my cars have come to me cheap from people that couldn't keep them going and me and my uncle have fixed them up.

No funds no nothing,,, i just got a job last week after being out of a job for 10 months

ps. to keep the thread a litte bit on topic

If u have this money i would buy a slighty modified 944 turbo instead

I know a 911 is a 911 but the fun factor imo is much much more in a 944 turbo
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
KidA_OK
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxsey911
This is a good reason to buy one now because your life could change very quickly...wife, kids, dog, mortgage, etc. It could then be a long time before you get the chance to buy that Porsche again...ask me how I know
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Thats what i was thinking all along, I'm single, I have a decent steady job, and
have some money in the savings to back me up if I have to doa rebuild.

In a few years I might be in a different situation, I might have to get money together for an engagement ring, wedding, and then kids, ect ect ARRGG there goes all my money. and NO Porsche.
OK, i've made up my mind, and I'm going with my heart, and picking up a 964 aspa.

Unfortunately, I dont have time to work on the car myself, I wish i did because I'd love to learn everything I can about these cars. So looks like I'm stuck paying for labor.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pay up front to get a good one, even if you need a small loan. 964s are undervalued and you can get a nice one for $20k, I think. G50 3.2 will cost about as much.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think about it - if you are considering purchase of any car in the range of 20yrs old you will be dealing with maintenance/replacement issues. big difference with this generation porsche....they were fully hand built - galvanized steel - rock solid build quality.....and 964 had just enough driver's technology (if you want more go to 993).
dependable yes-expensive to maintain, of course as are all older cars, fun-absolutely, attention getters-undoubtablyhttp://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/okinchiba/cypressmountainaugust9.jpg
Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Flagg
Racer

KidA-OK,

I did just what you are thinking about doing. Lived at home a few years after college in order to do so. Poured all my money into the car. Had a Honda CRX as the daily driver. Kept the maintenance cost, and insurance WAY down on the Porsche by doing so - would recommend NOT making the 911 your daily driver and buying something really cheap to get to work.

You would not believe how it can keep insurance down if you tell your insurance company that the 911 is NOT the car you go to work in on a daily basis, and base it at a lower annual milage. For me it was much cheaper to insure BOTH cars......

Later I got married, bought a house, now have two sons. Real life responsibilities. But it has been about 17 years........and I still have that same 1993 RS America.

I have been a life long fan of Porsche.........but Had I not bought the car when I did - I might not have it now.........

Follow your heart..........Flagg
Old 08-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Oracle
Pro

My advise: Follow your head.

No you shouldn't have a 964 when you're starting a professional life.
When you're more settled and have a daily driver that won't put your finances in jeopardy then go and buy that car of your dreams.

Of course you'll do whatever you want but hey, don't say that someone didn't tell you to wait...
Old 08-30-2009, 01:09 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oracle
My advise: Follow your head.

No you shouldn't have a 964 when you're starting a professional life.
When you're more settled and have a daily driver that won't put your finances in jeopardy then go and buy that car of your dreams.

Of course you'll do whatever you want but hey, don't say that someone didn't tell you to wait...
A clear voice of reason, from our north.

Quick Reply: Can I afford a Porsche 964?