Sponsored by:

? about Check Engine Light coming on briefly after start

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Adjusting it at the accelerator pedal is far easier - no undertrays to remove, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Adjusting it at the accelerator pedal is far easier - no undertrays to remove, etc.
How is this done at the pedal or is the procedure in the manual?

TIA
Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

You need a phillips screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and an 8mm combination wrench. Just pull the gas pedal towards you to pop it off. Remove the carpet, then the three phillips screws retaining the wood board. Remove the wood board by sliding it up and over the pedals. You can now access the throttle cable where it attaches to the cam below the part that attaches to the gas pedal you just popped off; loosen the 8mm locking nut now as it's much easier when the cable is still retained. Remove the safety retaining pin by rotating it to unclip it, then slide it out - this will now permit removal of the throttle cable from the cam. Now, unscrew the end portion of the throttle cable to effectively lengthen it. This requires only a turn or two. Then reinstall everything. The easiest way to put the gas pedal back on its lever is to hold it in place, then press the gas pedal to the floor until it pops back in place. Now, don't lengthen it too much, as you will cause the WOT switch to no longer activate.

Hope that makes sense! I think I posted pics on this at some point on here...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default UPDATE

I attacked adjusting the accelater cable last night by accident, mainly because I am a hesitant DIY. Once I pulled the gas pedal from the cam, I discovered that I cannot re-attache the cam because of extra lip on the pedal would hit the stop on the plastic board underneath and the would not be enough travel to pup the cam back in. So I proceeded with doing the job as described by Garrett. The only problem was that I could not replace the board if the gas pedal was attached to the cam, so I ended up diconnecting the cam from the assembly by removing the retaining clip, attaching the rod to the pedal and then spending several tries to reattched the other end of the rod to the cam and placing the clip back on. I also added a 3/4 inch plywood to the gas pedal to make H&T easier.

We'll see if the adjustment of the cable was sufficient to solve the problem. BTW, this is a hard job for a short fat guy. Next time (if there is one) I may have to remove the seat.

Thanks for all who helped me. Next project is the sunroof deflector replacement.

Nader
Old 09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrett376
Hi Nader - I'd check your idle switch first by moving the throttle with your hand and listen for the click of the switch (first way to check it) - best way is to confirm with the Hammer which will tell you when the switch is on and off and working properly. I know a Hammer will also tell you the working voltage of the 02 sensor while the engine runs - I've found bad sensors that way a couple times.
Does the scantool tell you this also, or just the hammer?

Quick Reply: ? about Check Engine Light coming on briefly after start