Sponsored by:

new audio install, details/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new audio install, details/pics

installation complete. used stock sizes for speakers. had all rewired through a new amp and left stock amp/original wiring in place in event return to bonestock is necessary.
...am totally happy and exceptional quality (pre install i sound tested alpine, kenwood, pioneer.....) install was professional - clean & neat.

head unit alpine CDA 9886 (receiver, cd player, mp3 connection)

the head unit has an mp3 port, also installed ipod port in the glovebox. ran out of time and did not want to leave the car overnight, so will return in next few days and also in the glovebox get then to install a dock for a usb chip.

front speakers are bostons sx50's with external tweeters

rear speakers alpine sps 400 (in small size upper end alpines sounded better than bostons)

amp is an alpine PDX-4-100 and following advice from the forum instead of doing a spare tire delete (mounting amp in the cavity...thereby reducing crash protection)....i had it mounted vertically as high as possible in the trunk. maximized trunk space.

cheers, gerry
Old 08-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicely done! I just bought my car last week, this kind of mod is on the (bottom) of my list of to do's!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Glad you went with the better head unit. still vote for pro 60 se Bostons in doors. Nice job on install.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Put in the Alpine 9887 when I bought the car in April. I found the built-in amp in the headunit more than adequate, so no additional power amp. Any particular reason why you when down that route?

May change the speakers as the next upgrade. Do the separate tweeters improve the sound?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Put in the Alpine 9887 when I bought the car in April. I found the built-in amp in the headunit more than adequate, so no additional power amp. Any particular reason why you when down that route?

May change the speakers as the next upgrade. Do the separate tweeters improve the sound?
new amp - new speakers far better clarity, range of sound (particularly with the cab & highway/top down). there is no comparison between stock and this set up.

i do not think headunit has built in amp (it is a receiver/player only), and in your case was wired to stock amp which in my car's case was (still is) under the passenger seat.

stock set up for the front speakers spec'd out speakers with independent tweeters (latter provides better high range), and boston's have that set up.

gerry
Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

nope that unit is 50x4 so has a power supply or internal amp. It is amazing how things in the stereo market have changed. Alpine was never a great brand in my mind just decent. How are they today? Clarion used to be the best now crap I hear.
I have a kenwood head in my car now with the usb input that is great because I just intall a thumb drive with all my songs on it and MB quartz speakers. sounds ok but I did not install prev owner did.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 AM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I put FOCAL K2's in my doors and they sound unreal.........
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

so That's what an optioned leather interior looks like...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
nope that unit is 50x4 so has a power supply or internal amp. It is amazing how things in the stereo market have changed. Alpine was never a great brand in my mind just decent. How are they today? Clarion used to be the best now crap I hear.
I have a kenwood head in my car now with the usb input that is great because I just intall a thumb drive with all my songs on it and MB quartz speakers. sounds ok but I did not install prev owner did.
thks for that, pre tested a clarion, way below alpine, had kenwood in my last car...alpine is better.

agree best maybe a simple usb port in the dash.

overall after 2 custom sound installations, this one is the best and still kept stock spec sizes/appearance on the speakers
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by elbeee964
so That's what an optioned leather interior looks like...
the cost of the options on these cars floors me....here is summary page from 7/92 C&D review.....gald i am not the 1st owner (but overjoyed to be the 2nd)

Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Actually if you use an amp really the head unit doesn't have a factor in sound anymore. As you said is just acting as a tuner and player. The amp sends out the sound and power. Always better to spend the money on the amp then receiver.

I used to have a clarion receiver, infiniti kappa amp and 3 10" jl bass and boston acoutics seperates.

Sounded great. My kenwood now is ok really cool feature is the USB because you can buy a large thumb drive for like 15 bucks that holds tons of songs.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great and I bet it sounds great too. I may upgrade my sound next year.

Quick Reply: new audio install, details/pics