Great thread!

Thanks for your help ~
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Hi Jetta,

I have been reading all your posts on the MM subject. Very nicely explained. Thank You. In your most recent post, you mention going from blue to black on the lower pillows. You state the "firmer" black pillow. I had assumed the blacks were actually more forgiving therefore softer. Did I get that wrong? I have just purchased a used set of Wevos that came with blue's. I ordered a new set of black pillows from Wevo and thought to install the blacks first. Do you think I should go straight to the blue tops, black bottoms? My car is still on stock suspension, so I'm not expecting dramatic improvements, but I do have original factory mounts that I am looking forward to changing out.

Thanks
christallon,
I'll have to go back and proof read my posts to make sure I'VE got things right? I'm easily confused...

blue = firm
black = softer
(text from Wevo: “Black” Pillows are 15 points softer on the Shore “A” scale for durometer readings than the original "Blue" Pillows)

Forgive me if I screw that up again!

I originally ordered new MM with black pillows. I was very happy with that set up and it's the recommended set up for street-driven cars. You will be very happy with the black pillows. Wevo recommends blue pillows for track cars. Good thing you got spare black pillows with your used mounts.

I recently changed the lower, softer black pillows, for the harder blue pillows. I thought I had a problem with a tear in the (black) lower pillows, so after talking to Wevo, they suggested I go with the stiffer blue pillow as they are very robust. The upper pillow does most of the work (quote from Wevo), so stiffer lower pillows only add a negligible effect to the overall stiffness. Turns out there was NO problem with the black lower pillow.

Unfortunately I'm also still on stock suspenison, but don't worry you will immediately notice the upgrade.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 10-29-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:53 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
christallon,
I'll have to go back and proof read my posts to make sure I'VE got things right? I'm easily confused...

blue = firm
black = softer
(text from Wevo: “Black” Pillows are 15 points softer on the Shore “A” scale for durometer readings than the original "Blue" Pillows)

I recently changed the lower, softer blue pillows, for the harder black pillows. I thought I had a problem with a tear in the (blue) lower pillows, so after talking to Wevo, they suggested I go with the stiffer black pillow as they are very robust. .
This doesnt make sense, to me at least

Revo state the black pillows are softer than blue, yes?

So how can you replace a softer blue with a harder black?

Apologies if Ive missed something
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

freedman,
Thanks for catching that. Black, blue, black, blue, blue, black, black...
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

OK..... Just installed a set of Wevo's (black pillows) I bought from a guy on Pelican. I have to say, I LOVE THIS MOD!!! Wow, who knew??? Sure, I know many of you did, but finally pulled the trigger and got it done, so now I'm in the Club. Easy Peasy DIY. I had a slight time getting the 2-19mm nuts loose, but with the help of some PB Blaster (10 minute soak) and a 1/2" drive with extension, I got the rascals out. The rest was cake. I also picked up a set of blue pillows but inserted the blacks for now. Maybe try the blues when the suspension is done.

Very slight ressonance in the cabin, but really slight, and frankly sport purpose sound. Shifting was improved, and the car was more direct. The rear end was tight, and it was far easier to break loose. I'm on stock suspension, so when I pull the trigger there, I imagine the car is going to be even more precise. I also just bought a SW chip, due next week, so I'm looking forward to even more fun soon.

I completely endorse this performance upgrade. Well worth the $'s.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have been thinking of this ....but have not seen any mention on this post re highly recommended enhancement of the engine carrier........discussed on other posts here & this is cut & paste as recommended by both pelican & renn - views?

"Engine Mount Reinforcement Gusset Kit
One of the only weak points on the 964 and 993 chassis is the engine carrier. When these models are tracked, or are fitted with stiffer than stock engine mounts, the engine carrier should be reinforced. If it is not, the carrier is known to bend, crack, or even break cleanly away from an engine mount in response to increased vibration and stress. The Porsche factory was aware of this problem and equipped its race cars with a reinforced engine carrier. Rennline now exclusively offers an engine mount reinforcement gusset kit that can be welded to the engine carrier by your shop."

REN-M04-REN

Rennline Engine Mount Reinforcement Gusset Kit, 964/993 (1989-98) NOTE: Must be welded to the engine carrier [More Info]
$75.00
Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

It turned out that my carrier had been done, I think. It looked like 2 small sections near the center line had been welded in. Did not look factory, So I assume it was done later. It appears the general consensus is that it's a good idea, but many have opted to go without.

Quick Reply: Wevo m.m. installed - impressions