New Owner, Pics and questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Tagsley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Owner, Pics and questions

Hi all -

Been lurking here for a while now, and finally found a 964 C4 that I couldn't pass up. Thanks to those who answered my previous post and saved me from buying a horribly maintained Cab2 that I was considering just because it was cheap.

The one I picked up yesterday has 130,000 on it, but has a rebuilt engine and clutch that are less than a year old (still under warranty even.) Brakes done 9 months ago, including new front rotors. All instruments work, top is good, and best of all I got it for what the dealer was offering them as Trade-in value.

Here are a few questions that I am hoping someone could help me with off the top...
1. What Rims are these (17") and would it be a crime to have them repainted Black?
2. Engine shield has been removed. Worth getting another?
3. Rear View mirror got knocked off. Where can I get one with a wider view?
4. Shifting is a bit sticky and sometimes I have to double clutch and match revs to get smooth 3-2 downshift. No grinding though...just hard to shift.
5. Ash tray won't stay closed (found the fix in the forum...ty)
6. How can I tell if the suspension has been modified? It seems a bit lower and stiffer than other 964s that I have driven.
7. Brakes squeek LOUDLY when stepped on hard. The brake warranty is past, but since both the rotors and pads are relatively new will they adjust themselves or should I take them in for an adjustment?
8. I will probably do the exhaust and chip. My brother runs a modded '03 Boxster and my friend a stock '99 996. I don't need to beat them (I already look better and sound better) but I would like to keep up. Are the exhaust/chip combo going to get me there?
9. Came with a K40 radar system installed. Is this still effective against CHP radar in CA?
10. Finally, anyone care to suggest a color for repaint? I just can't drive a red Cab in San Francisco. I like the Iris color on the 993s, but am open to anything dark except black.

Thanks all!

Mark
Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Welcome!

1. Can't tell the picture is too small.
2. Hell no!
3. If you're looking for a wider view mirror, you'll need to go aftermarket.
4. I would check the bolts in the linkage first and go from there.
5. Mine did the same. I stuffed a Gamin navi unit underneath to keep it closed.
6. Look at the shocks and springs. If they are different color than black, they're aftermarket. Report back.
7. There are anti-squeal plates for the brake cylinders. Sometimes if they are not replaced after a brake job, or are missing you will hear it. Easy thing to check on your own and replace if necessary. Is the noise coming from all 4 corners?
8. You won't have a hard time keeping up with those guys as is, but you can get a Steve Wong chip and a primary muffler bypass for a few extra torques.
9. Have no idea.
10. My suggestion is to stick with what you have. A quality paint job is going to cost about as much as the current value of the car.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome aboard. We'd love to see more photos.

1) Not sure what wheel it is. Maybe one of the photoshop pros can color the photo so you can decide if you want to paint them. IMHO, Cup1s look best.
2) No. I have two engine trays in my basement collecting dust. Leave it without.
3) No sure.
4) Is the clutch fully disengaging? Maybe you need to bleed the clutch. You may want to check the rubber cup on the bottom of the shifter. My C2 coupe was hard shifting until I found that the rubber had deteriorated.
5) n/a
6) If you take off one of the wheels and take a photo, we can take a look and help.
7) There are multiple tricks to eliminating squeal. I use anti-squeal spray on the back of my pads. Also, some pad types are noiser than outhers.
8) Not sure
9) Not sure. I am a Valentine One user. They work very well with the CHP. I used to live in Redwood City for 12 years.
10) IMHO - I would keep the red.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Tagsley
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick replies. Here is a better pic of the wheels.

I will check on the shocks and brakes when I have it put up on a lift later today or tomorrow. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I bought it without a PPI. I thought that the $25k that the previous owners spent to rebuild it last year would cover most things, but as I am looking over the receipts it appears that they might have gotten a bit jobbed by the mechanic. Like should he have charged them for a valve adjustment when he was already rebuilding the thing?

One reason I am considering a repaint is that there are a few dings that I would like to fix, and one of my clients is a body shop that owes me some money. My wife likes the red though.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

To paint the wheels right would mean taking them apart. I'd just sell them and buy a set of Cup I's. You can get those painted/powdercoated easily.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
To paint the wheels right would mean taking them apart. I'd just sell them and buy a set of Cup I's. You can get those painted/powdercoated easily.
agree, also why repaint............guards red pretty conservative color!! plus every one has a gray or black porsche!!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

I would not repaint the car, in the long run that will hurt the value of your car. Your rims look nice, I to would leave those. Also I am surprised that you are having a gearbox issue if there is a new clutch? I would first check and see when the transmission oil was last changed. Car looks nice with 130k on it.

Quick Reply: New Owner, Pics and questions