Sponsored by:

Seat Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 PM
David Proterun
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Seat Switch

I followed the excellent outline by Garrett376 posted 4-27-2006 for cleaning and reworking power seat switches. The forward movement of the drivers seat on my 90 C4 Cab was not contacting. I was successful in removing the front part of the switch without losing the four little ***** and springs. However when I attempted to remove my first rocker arm contact ( the front forward rocker arm) it sprung loose with force and disappeared into the garage or the car.I searched thoroughly for three weeks and never found it.

I now have an exposed switch with three rocker arms intact and one missing. The seat is almost fully forward.

Does anyone have an old switch with some old rocker arms they might have replaced? The easiest approach would seem to be to continue my cleaning project once I have a rocker arm.

A couple other questions come to mind. Would one dare replace the rest of the switch with the springs and ***** and only three rocker arms and hope to at least have the aft movement, up and down movements functional and then reverse the motor leads to get any needed forward movement.

Did I read that someone was able to install an new switch and all its attachments without removing the seat?

Would it be possible to apply direct current from a 12V battery to the two motor leads that control for and aft movement.

I found the so called manual for/aft adjustment at the front of the seat and used an allen wrench to just try a few turns. I saw what appeared to be a white plastic toothed gear that turned but I didnt see any seat movement. I was hesitant to continue , I thought I had read that something in this mechanism strips easily.

Anyhow, help, a rocker arm, suggestions and discussion would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

"Would it be possible to apply direct current from a 12V battery to the two motor leads that control for and aft movement."

Yes. I've done it. Its pretty easy but there isn't much space under the seat to work when you do it.

Why not remove the seat? Its not that hard, as long as you don't strip the screws. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
David Proterun
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Switch

Thanks Rob for replying.
This will give me more tools to solve my problem. Even If I locate a rocker arm contact, there is no guarantee the switch will work and I will have to install a new one afterall.

Ive always been hesitant about removing the seat, more of a mechanical experience issue. If I understand correctly you have to position the seat to have access to front and rear screws on the railing. Then you remove these screw and lift the seat up. So is that all that holding the seat down?

Now I envision that as you lift the seat there will be wires from the power seat switches intertwined on the seat cushion and plugs and connectors will have to be disconnected and hopefully easy to find. And hopefully reinstalling the seat can be accomplished well almost as easily.

Is that roughly correct?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes, all that holds the seats is 6 screws, three on each seat rail. If you end up needing to remove the seats, you slide the seat all the way back to access the front screws (1 on each rail) and then you slide the seat all the way forward to remove the rear (2 on each rail). Be careful. The factory screws are very soft metal. I buggered up one of mine and had to grind the head off to remove the seat. The frustrating part was once the seat was removed, the problem bolt unthreaded easily with my finger tips. I replaced the bolt with a grade 8 allen bolt (8mmx1.25 and 20-25mm long) from my local hardware store. Next time I remove the seats, I will replace all of the bolts with grade 8 to avoid future problems.

Good luck on the switch repair. I have had to replace the front switch on the driver's seat twice on my cabrio. The first time I paid my mechanic. The second time, I did it myself and learned how easy it was.

Quick Reply: Seat Switch