Sponsored by:

Yet another Tiptronic problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Yet another Tiptronic problem.

OK, I searched and didn't find anything quite like my problem.

I was racing last weekend, and I usually use the Manual Mode on the Tip. After the first 5 turns the transmission shifted to D mode, and wouldn't go back to manual mode. Even with the lever moved back and forth. I pulled off into the pits, and shut the car off, and turned it back on, and out for another lap. Sure enough same problem. The longest it lasted in Manual mode all weekend was 1 lap.

It goes into manual mode, and shifts correctly for a while, and then goes back to drive.

Any ideas? Battery is only a year old. Anti-Lock light is on, but not the Tiptronic light.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 PM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Thats very weird that your Tip light is off..........
I have found that if one of the microswitches is dirty this will report to the computer that there is a mismatch between throttle position, speed, rpm etc and throw the tip into limp home mode. But this results in the warning light coming on.
All i can suggest is that you check/clean both microswitches and perhaps the ground strap. Is it possible to check that the tip warning bulb in the instrument cluster is working?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
sundog
Race Director

It didn't go into limp home mode. I cut over 4 seconds off my previous best time at the tract for 2 days with this problem. It was just in Drive mode. A little disconcerting coming out of a turn and flooring it, only to have it downshift hard and rocket you out of the corner!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
It didn't go into limp home mode. I cut over 4 seconds off my previous best time at the tract for 2 days with this problem. It was just in Drive mode. A little disconcerting coming out of a turn and flooring it, only to have it downshift hard and rocket you out of the corner!
I can't help your problem but if you found 4 seconds in auto mode, I think I would use it all the time.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I searched and didn't find anything quite like my problem.

I was racing last weekend, and I usually use the Manual Mode on the Tip. After the first 5 turns the transmission shifted to D mode, and wouldn't go back to manual mode. Even with the lever moved back and forth. I pulled off into the pits, and shut the car off, and turned it back on, and out for another lap. Sure enough same problem. The longest it lasted in Manual mode all weekend was 1 lap.

It goes into manual mode, and shifts correctly for a while, and then goes back to drive.

Any ideas? Battery is only a year old. Anti-Lock light is on, but not the Tiptronic light.
IIRC, there is a Tiptronic switch on your tranny that can go bad. The really bad part is that part costs @ $1k.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm with Yellowducman..........saving 4 secs a lap in auto mode = leave it in "D"!

Strange that it doesn't bring up any fault light. Try putting the hammer on it??
Old 08-10-2009, 08:42 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I cut over 4 seconds off my previous best time at the tract for 2 days with this problem. It was just in Drive mode. A little disconcerting coming out of a turn and flooring it, only to have it downshift hard and rocket you out of the corner!
I've been DE'ing using D exclusively for a few years. I found that in the TIp mode, it would have unpredictable delays in downshifting (I couldn't do a 3 to 2 downshift when "I" wanted to, I had to wait for the computer to allow it based on revs and lateral load).

Just last weekend, I spent 3 days at Watkins Glen and had a "coach" help me adapt my driving style to work with the TIP's persona.

We worked on braking techniques to optimize the idiosyncrasies of the TIP. I now brake a little earlier, then throttle in a bit before the turn. The car takes a set, downshifts, and I'm executing the turn under power, in the lower gear. Now, I'm going thru the turn with full power available as I roll into the throttle.

By the end of the day, my coach helped me shave off a number of seconds from my best time, even with his additional 180 #'s of ballast!

Last edited by LouZ; 09-27-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 PM
sundog
Race Director

Well, I think that I have identified the problem with the Tiptronic. I didn't mention that the ABS light was going on as well during the DE, and didn't consider that they might be related.

After searching a number of threads there apparently is a connection between the ABS sensor speed, and the Tiptronic speed sensor, sort of a check I guess.

So I removed the right front sensor and here's what I found. Looks like it got busted when they replaced the front bearings at the shop.

The next question is where to get a replacement? The part number in the manual is 964-606-404-01, but was wondering if there is another replacement, 993 etc?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Yet another Tiptronic problem.